Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Indian style pork chops* with basmati rice and curried chickpeas and potatoes.

IMG-20200427-180350.jpg

*I know pork chops wouldn't (in all probability) be considered authentic Indian cuisine, but my local butcher does these chops already prepared in an Indian based marinade, and they are absolutely beautiful. Shallow fry them for 15 mins or so, and they're divine.

Homemade burgers from steak mince.

IMG-20200429-175810.jpg

Yeah, I got in an awful mess eating it **wipes mustard and ketchup of shirt front** :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Beef Rendang with homemade chapattis. First time making it It was a Jamie Oliver recipe it was tasty but felt it needed something else. There was 2 red chillies in the paste and it could have done with at least one if not two more. Needed to add a tablespoon of sugar and fish sauce too as it was little bitter and plain without it too. In hindsight I wouldn't have added the water in the recipe either.

Any Beef rendang recipes you folks would recommend?

511537.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Cheesy leek and bacon lardon pasta. From BBC.

1dlFKXN.jpg?2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Lentil and bean Shepherd's Pie, with cheesy mash :

fN1xVgL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ryath wrote: »
    Beef Rendang with homemade chapattis. First time making it It was a Jamie Oliver recipe it was tasty but felt it needed something else. There was 2 red chillies in the paste and it could have done with at least one if not two more. Needed to add a tablespoon of sugar and fish sauce too as it was little bitter and plain without it too. In hindsight I wouldn't have added the water in the recipe either.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54873678&postcount=502
    This one works very well for me

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

https://www.recipetineats.com/beef-rendang/

Cant go wrong looking at this site...amazing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

They look much better. Recipe was from Save with Jamie while I've found most of them quite good the odd one has fallen short. I suppose a lot of the recipes have been designed to cut down on complexity and amount of ingredients. This one definitely went to far it wasn't bad just lacked some depth of flavour.

Cloves/star anise would have made a big difference and the lemongrass is pretty much a requirement too.

Is it possible to galangal anywhere besides the asian shops?
    I do see this in notes of niallo's post
    Galangal is like ginger but it has a more sour and peppery flavour. If you can't find it, just substitute with more ginger and a grind of black pepper.

Penis pork chop with cannellini bean, leek and bacon mix.

FyMBkyt.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

***Please don't quote pics!***

Made a Jamie Oliver tandoori chicken recipie a couple of weeks ago and the proportions were all off, even had it marinated for a day and a half but the flavour just wasnt there.

This is the rendang recipie I've used three or four times now.

Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-dmfBaZrA
    Ingredients & method
    https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/01/beef-rendang-and-case-of-invisible-sauce.html

I got galangal in the Asian shop but after running out I just substitute it with more ginger, I didnt notice any major difference. The lemon grass is important though, its a different dish without it. Rendang is a very long cook (4+ hours last time I did it) and that last hour you're over the range stirring a lot so the beef doesnt stick. Next time out Im going to see how it does in the Instant Pot to get the beef shin fork tender and then saute it the sauce down into a dry curry. Hopefully that knocks a couple of hours off the cooking time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Someone posted this one here on Boards, they said it was amazing. It's the one I'm going to try. The full recipe is on his website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-dmfBaZrA&t=43s

Edit! It was Muahahaha, I see he's already posted the link.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mr.Dizzy has been making his way through the Pinch of Nom books this week. The other night we had Dirty Rice, and tonight we had Diet Cola Chicken. Both were delicious :)

20200429-012340.jpg

20200430-195017.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Nachos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Garlic and sriracha noodles with broccoli, mushrooms and peas. The recipe is roughly this, but with added mushrooms, peas and minus the edamame

APCVt5g.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Had a simple hot pot yesterday with some Polish sausages thrown in, did a bit of a clear out in the freezer. No pic as it looking terrible. Tasted amazing though.

Penis pork chop with cannellini bean, leek and bacon mix.

Eh ...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

beertons wrote: »
    Had a simple hot pot yesterday with some Polish sausages thrown in, did a bit of a clear out in the freezer. No pic as it looking terrible. Tasted amazing though.
    How is Beth and all in the Rovers Return ?

8oz striploins with champ, broccoli and pepper sauce.

Washed down with an ice cold O'Hara's white IPA, sure it's s bank holiday weekend after all.

IMG-20200502-183901.jpg

Barbecued ribeye steak with cheesy, oniony croquettes that oozed because I used leftover mashed potato that had milk added. They still tasted great.

20200504-184537.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Gutted! Had a nice 7oz fillet steak and I over cooked the damn thing. Seared it in the griddle pan for a minute each side and banged it in a hot oven checked the internal temp and it was 47c which would be blue and I wanted medium rare. I put it back in for another two an a half minutes, rested well and the damn thing was medium well. Still not a bad think to eat, I'll happily eat rump steak well done with marinades etc. but seemed such a waste to do it with a fillet. Made a garlic and smoked paprika butter for it which was unbelievable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bassfish wrote: »
    it was 47c which would be blue and I wanted medium rare. I put it back in for another two an a half minutes, rested well and the damn thing was medium well.

I check thermometers in my mouth to make sure they are reading about right. If you plunge a thermometer into the likes of meat at 47C it would take a while for it to register this temp, the metal probe has to heat up. It will heat up quicker in liquid, especially if you can stir it. A tip is to heat it up the probe to the temperature you actually desire it to be at. So if you want a 57C steak stick it in water at that temp and preheat it well first and plunge it in. If it rises above 57C you know right away it must be hotter than 57C, rather than having to wait for it to stabilize. Like a big turkey the outside hotter layer is going to transfer heat to the center a while longer, esp. if you have covered it letting it rest. I have read some interesting arguments against resting.

Many guides have quite wide variation as to what a "medium rare" steak is. It would be better if steakhouses or guides would list the temps.

legende-cuisson-boeuf-en.jpg

62In5.jpg
    126F is 52.2C

I saw Neven Maguire cooking chicken in bbq sauce on Instagram so I used it as a marinade with Aldi boneless skinless thighs and barbecued them. I reduced the rest of the marinade and poured it over (after I took the photo).

20200505-185015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Homemade feast tonight!! Fish goujons with potato wedges, tartar sauce , mushy peas on the side and a simple side salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had nachos.

A bag of Tesco cool tortilla chips
    Quorn mince soaked in Frank's Chilli and Lime sauce
    Red onion, lime juice, coriander, chopped deseeded tomato and avocado
    Greek yogurt
    Cheddar cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Burgers pizzas bank holiday weekend makes it ok?

Those pizzas look fantastic. Like from a real pizza oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I made Bitterballen (Dutch pub snack). They look right, but the centre wasn't really gooey as it should have been. Will try again in a few days to get it right.

20200505-225845.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Burgers pizzas bank holiday weekend makes it ok?
    Those pizzas look fantastic. Like from a real pizza oven.

Ah cheers! They're homemade, but actually just done in a conventional oven, up to its max temp, even got a crispy base

6cfa7b1982e0dc59430c6a8c191a79d1.gif
    0hRpCPI.jpg?1

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I made Bitterballen (Dutch pub snack). They look right, but the centre wasn't really gooey as it should have been. Will try again in a few days to get it right.

They look great.

What dip do you serve them with?

Advertisement