Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Simple, but ever so satisfying : paste bake

jYivHMk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Rainbow tout with white beans, pancetta, sun dried tomatoes, parsley.

That look f*cking delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Chicken thigh burgers, BBQ’d in my BBQ sauce. Hash browns, plastic cheese, salad and Mayonnaise.

CE05-F8-FE-F662-4-B5-A-A032-9-AD186-D6-CD6-D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Blood Orange :o

20200417-151242.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Carnitas tonight. The slow cooker packed up (came home to a raw lump of pork shoulder :( ) so I popped it in the oven for a couple of hours, shredded it with two forks and ate it with warm tortillas, home made salsa, guacamole, grated cheese, sour cream and jalapenos. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Chicken thigh burgers, BBQ’d in my BBQ sauce. Hash browns, plastic cheese, salad and Mayonnaise.

Only thing missing there is a Birds Eye Potato Waffle (or two).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Only thing missing there is a Birds Eye Potato Waffle (or two).

It was a toss between waffles and hash browns. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

........with spiced Okra etc etc.

7Rr6Cmhl.jpg

(Cooked yesterday, on the bone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Planet X wrote: »

Did you make the poppadoms? Pray tell how the look amazing as does the rest of the meal.

Poppadoms from a packet. Brushed oil one side, microwave for 30 seconds or so. Better than deep frying imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Lunch from one of the days last week when we had cracking weather...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 505 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made this for my housemates, Torched mackerel with roasted rhubarb in a rhubarb sauce

Homemade Eddie Rockets nachos!

98-D1794-B-3-B3-C-4-E0-F-86-EE-D943-D07716-AB.jpg

Like all good tins of biscuits there’s a second layer underneath :D

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Dónal wrote: »

Like all good tins of biscuits there’s a second layer underneath :D

Hah, I like that! And you're right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Made sourdough tortillas for fajitas on Friday, and had the rest of them with Channa masala yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I managed to acquire some strong white flour so we had pizzas last night. No photo because it would have been the same as the last one I posted, and the one before... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Wow...looks amazing..receipe please.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Homemade sausage rolls from recipetineats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Was mental busy doing general maintenance around the house and the yard today, and was ravenous when I got in, so made a massive bowl of buffalo wings. We don't have a fryer (air or otherwise) so these were crisped up in the oven.

Came with celery obviously.

IMG-20200419-183409.jpg

IMG-20200419-181550.jpg

These were restaurant quality, served with bean salad for a nice tangy side.

I'll do these again, prob took me 30 mins from start to finish including preparing the wings (, discarding the tips, and separating the wings etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pork and Mushroom Tagliatelle

20200414-165326.jpg

• Advertisement

niallo76 wrote: »
    Wow...looks amazing..receipe please.

It's complex.......

jV9WEuBl.jpg

TauTAYxl.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It's complex.......

That's the first time I've heard of poppy seed paste, and I'm intrigued. Where do you think I could get that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Dónal wrote: »

How do you make your cheese sauce? I have a standard method that I am never 100% satisfied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

McMurphy wrote: »
    Was mental busy doing general maintenance around the house and the yard today, and was ravenous when I got in, so made a massive bowl of buffalo wings. We don't have a fryer (air or otherwise) so these were crisped up in the oven.

Came with celery obviously.

These were restaurant quality, served with bean salad for a nice tangy side.

I'll do these again, prob took me 30 mins from start to finish including preparing the wings (, discarding the tips, and separating the wings etc)

Look great, what sauce did you use and how long in the oven at what temp? Thanks.

Shenshen wrote: »
    That's the first time I've heard of poppy seed paste, and I'm intrigued. Where do you think I could get that?

Poppy seeds, Asian store, mortar and pestle them along with a finger of ginger and chili powder.
    Tried a spice grinder (jams up a little) but prefer the mortar/pestle.

Poppy seed paste as a thickener I seem to remember.

(You could use cornflour ......but it tastes)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Some recent dinners!
    Dahl, homemade burgers and super crispy fries, classic eggs and chorizo, Greek halloumi and tzatziki pitta, whiskey spurs to wash em down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Look great, what sauce did you use and how long in the oven at what temp? Thanks.

Just mix a half tbsp of soda powder (not soda) with 1 and a half tbsp of flour and then 3 tbsp of a rub of your choice (I used 1 X tbsp of chicken and steak seasoning, 1 X tbps of piri piri and some salt and cayenne pepper) in a bowl, roll each piece of wing in the mix. Then place them on a baking tray work a wire rack - it's important to put them on a rack otherwise you won't get the crispiness on them.

10 mins in the oven, then turn them over and another 10 minutes on the other side. If they need longer just check on them.

Sauce - mix about a cup of Frank's red hot sauce with a tbsp of white wine vinegar, a tbsp of sugar and a knob or two of butter.

Heat it in a pan until it starts to bubble, then immediately reduce the heat.

Pour over the wings.

You could do everything from start to finish including making the sauce in under 30 mins I reckon.

Bean salad, drain and rinse a can of mixed beans, finely chop a couple of scallions or (finely diced a small red onion) add a handful of chopped coriander and a half handful of chopped mint. Depending on your heat preference, add in a sliced chilli.

Halve then squeeze the juice from a lime, toss everything in a bowl together and then season with salt and pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Did Chicken wings also - second attempt though.
    First attempt I'd too much spice in the covering we couldn't eat them.
    A bowl with and without Franks just in case.

IMG_0556.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

L1011 wrote: »
    First ever attempt at smashed burgers today. Perfectly edible but the takeaway lessons were:

I need different tools for it. Slotted spatula was too difficult to use.

I need to do it outdoors on the gas grill cause the smoke is insane. Both Nest Protects are still moaning at me!

I need to use a bit less salt

I need to use a bit less meat per patty. Did 6 from ~500g with the intent of stacking 3 for half pounders; they don't cook fast enough and half pounders are a bit excessive so I'll cut to 400g for 6 next time.

Good way to do smash burgers without a burger press is to put a square of parchment paper on top of the burger, place it in the pan and then get a side plate and smash the patty down using that.

For melting the cheese with steam a soup bowl turned upside down covering the burger works well though it does get awful hot so mind your fingers getting it off. Ive since bought a heavy burger press and a cloche for smash burgers but before that a side plate and soup bowl did the trick just as well. Saw one guy on a Youtube vid using a plasterers trowel to smash them down lol

For portions Ive played around with everything from 150g patties to 225g. Ive settled now on the Wowburger method using 2 x 90g patties both smashed down for that extra crust flavour and then a slice of melted cheese on each patty. The portion is between a third pounder and a half pounder, its a two fifth pounder which doesnt quite roll off the tongue but it tastes great :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Barbecued chicken breast with chimichurri seasoning, and veggie rice.

IMG-7877.jpg

Advertisement