Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My first Nut Roast. Served with mashed potatoes, green beans and a tomato sauce. A total hit with everyone which surprised me slightly.

6-C1-C7-E9-C-9-DB4-4-AF0-8807-A783-E8-F9-B413.jpg

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/nut-loaf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    They look great.

What dip do you serve them with?

Mustard!

If you are ever in the Netherlands, try go to one of their 'Brown bars' - a bit like the equivalent of an old man pub here - and have bitterballen there with a few beers! Also FEBO takeaway vending machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Roald Dahl

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Mustard!

If you are ever in the Netherlands, try go to one of their 'Brown bars' - a bit like the equivalent of an old man pub here - and have bitterballen there with a few beers! Also FEBO takeaway vending machines.

Ah yes, I know the FEBO machines. :) Is it Dutch mustard you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ah yes, I know the FEBO machines. :) Is it Dutch mustard you use?

That was actually a French mustard. It's supposed to have a bit of a kick, but I wouldnt use Colemans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Aldi battered cod with Airfryer chips, green beans & sugar snap peas and tartar sauce.

20200507-183248.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Had Donegal Catch with mash and beans. Very unrefined but it was mighty! The three year old small fella had the same and loved it. :D

6cfa7b1982e0dc59430c6a8c191a79d1.gif

Looks lovely, your chaudrée à la bostonnaise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Moules Marinere with Prawns and Samphire in Garlic, Olive Tapenade and Aldi’s Black Olive Ciabatta.

D61-F27-DB-B624-4427-ABC0-5-EFAF1386-E5-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Aldi falafel balls with mixed leaves, basil, beetroot mix, radish, mini pepper and cucumber.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Was feeling lazy just made the potato skins and slaw.

512581.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Burgers pizzas bank holiday weekend makes it ok?
    Wow that is a good looking pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Thargor wrote: »
    Wow that is a good looking pizza.

Ah cheers! I winged it on the measurements, I'll throw together my process next time!
    Actually used sourdough starter in this one, however that really only affects the flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I love the summer for all the salads.
    Here's today's offering.
    Chicken and a rainbow salad.

To thine own self be true

I made some improvised kimchi a while back and used it for kimchi rice.

Kimchi-Rice-2.jpg

With Manora brand crackers and Kloud Korean beer. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Flavour Diaper

Marvelous work folks, I'm beaming from ear to ear!! :)

To the chapparoo with the inferno sauce, have you tried the hotter sauces from Mic's? I've been using his Voodoo Reaper sauce but it is quite hot coming out the other end, particularly when I'm urinating. Almost like someone stuck a lit match in my snake eye. For what they are though they are very fine sauces and not too vinegary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

I got the full range a few weeks ago and am working my way up! Your description is making me question the wisdom of this. :eek:

The inferno sauce is really good and the bbq sauce is very nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had chilli with baked potatoes last night, or more precisely, had chilli with “half” a baked potato. This was due to one of the potatoes exploding!

I used to always make baked potatoes by wrapping them in tinfoil and bunging them in oven but for the last God knows how long I just put the unwrapped potatoes into the oven to get a nice crispy skin.

While checking to see if they were done I opened the oven door and poke the first one with a knife. All good, but when I poked the second one the damn thing exploded like a popped balloon! Potato everywhere. I hadn’t pricked them with a fork beforehand. :( Luckily enough I wasn’t injured but the noise and mess!

The surviving was lovely though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=512653&d=1589243706

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had chilli with baked potatoes last night, or more precisely, had chilli with “half” a baked potato. This was due to one of the potatoes exploding!

While checking to see if they were done I opened the oven door and poke the first one with a knife. All good, but when I poked the second one the damn thing exploded like a popped balloon! Potato everywhere. I hadn’t pricked them with a fork beforehand. :( Luckily enough I wasn’t injured but the noise and mess!

The surviving was lovely though.

]

Been there, done that. It's quite dramatic.
    Best to remember to prick them all over.

I never got the tinfoil wrapping. What's the point of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

I never got the tinfoil wrapping. What's the point of it?

Restaurants sometimes serve them in tinfoil to keep them hot for longer once they come out of the oven. Cooking them in tinfoil is the last thing you should be doing. The tinfoil holds in moisture and steams the potatoes = soggy skins. Cheaper to just steam them if you're doing that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Made Tortillas for the first time.......wow....no more glue tortilla wraps from the shop for sure.

Flour/oil/salt/water. Dough. Rest. Roll.

Pulled pork etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Planet X wrote: »
    Made Tortillas for the first time.......wow....no more glue tortilla wraps from the shop for sure.

Flour/oil/salt/water. Dough. Rest. Roll.

Pulled pork etc etc.

Recipe please!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

IMG-20200512-182456.jpg

Ancho chilli sirloin steak (cooked them under the grill for a change) and salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Ryath wrote: »
    Was feeling lazy just made the potato skins and slaw.

512581.jpg

With Mics chilli...yet to try that one..

Ryath wrote: »
    I got the full range a few weeks ago and am working my way up! Your description is making me question the wisdom of this. :eek:

The inferno sauce is really good and the bbq sauce is very nice too.

I'm the same as ya, I got the entire range,I started with the Voodoo Reaper...it is very hot,but,you can taste flavours in it.not just heat...serious stuff...agree with you on the BBQ sauce.I generally do not like BBQ sauce,but Mics one is lovely

We had veggie pulled jackfruit burgers. Very sloppy! :pac:

Pulled-Jackfruit-1.jpg

Pulled-Jackfruit-2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Aldi Irish Angus beefburgers & Aldi brioche buns with skin-on Airfryer chips.

20200513-183919.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had veggie pulled jackfruit burgers. Very sloppy! :pac:[/IMG]

It looks great. How does the jackfruit taste, honestly? I often hear of meat substitutes being lauded as the greatest thing since sliced pan but they usually disappoint (me, anyways).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Potato fritters, with tsatsiki

JVlGV9Z.jpg

I had some leftover veg (carrots and courgettes), so they got grated into the fritters along with the potatoes.

Advertisement