Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

The captain's all met yesterday, and within an hour of that the paddypower odds tumbled on Garcia to 1/12. That says it all, Paddy always knows

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Garcia is in brutal form, not even sure form is the word, I’d go with Pieters along with the obvious three

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

slave1 wrote: »
    Garcia is in brutal form, not even sure form is the word, I’d go with Pieters along with the obvious three

Think Garcia is a huge gamble.

There must be more to it. It’s not seen as a bombers course which would have helped pieters or bello. I’d still have both of them ahead of Casey / Garcia.

If the Dell cship wasn't a Monday finish then Rafa would have qualified automatically, which is just bizarre that they don't move the cutoff date to the Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Silly decision to pick Sergio. Experience doesn't matter much when his current game is dire. You can't pick players citing experience as the sole reason. If that was the case, we'd have Faldo on the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Garcia getting picked would be the definition of "Jobs for the boys".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Only carrot for Garcia is that he played well at le golf national back in July.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Garcia shouldn't even be in the conversation the way he's playing this year!!! I'd hope he'd be man enough to decline if offered the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Could Sergio get a late VC call-up instead (though that would be an enormous number of VCs on the European team)

Given Sergio's year it would seem to be ludicrous to pick him

Good call, a VC role would be perfect and allow a continuation for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Whats Casey's record in ryder cups? My recollection is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Its a genuine 'taking the piss' if Garcia is picked

All the buddies in tow...
    Seamus Power would be a better pick than Garcia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sergio made it and Casey missed out. Just can’t see both being included, despite what the betting says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

I would be picking Poulter, Stenson, Pieters and Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Dbu wrote: »
    Its a genuine 'taking the piss' if Garcia is picked

All the buddies in tow...
    Seamus Power would be a better pick than Garcia

I know you were joking but Seamus would genuinely be a better pick he’s one of the best putters on tour.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sergio made it and Casey missed out. Just can’t see both being included, despite what the betting says.

Bjorn asked Casey to rejoin the ET after he gave it the 2 fingers previously, so Im guessing that he is a guarantee at this stage

Raisins wrote: »
    I know you were joking but Seamus would genuinely be a better pick he’s one of the best putters on tour.

Not a hope, you want pressure players for RC, his Sunday pressure scoring is brutal

I know they were lesser events. But what even is the incentive in playing on the European Tour if you win 3 times and don't get picked.

Your basically shooting yourself in the foot for the European tour.
    Would be an absolute farce imo

slave1 wrote: »
    Not a hope, you want pressure players for RC, his Sunday pressure scoring is brutal

Just like Garcia 'dug deep' on the back 9 a few weeks ago:D

kiers47 wrote: »
    I know they were lesser events. But what even is the incentive in playing on the European Tour if you win 3 times and don't get picked.

Your basically shooting yourself in the foot for the European tour.
    Would be an absolute farce imo

True to a point, but look at Wallace form in big events and majors, its abysmal. Winning smaller events is great and winning is very difficult, but his form is very very streaky. He would be a huge risk, as will Garcia. The obvious choice would be RCB/Pieters, both were fantastic last time out and both showing some form right now.

• Advertisement

True to a point, but look at Wallace form in big events and majors, its abysmal. Winning smaller events is great and winning is very difficult, but his form is very very streaky. He would be a huge risk, as will Garcia. The obvious choice would be RCB/Pieters, both were fantastic last time out and both showing some form right now.

Ya thats true. I mean fair enough if it is RCB getting picked over him. But if it is Garcia it is a complete joke.

Id say there is a fair chance the 4th pick will be RCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dbu wrote: »
    Bjorn asked Casey to rejoin the ET after he gave it the 2 fingers previously, so Im guessing that he is a guarantee at this stage

Yes sure, but don’t see why that would amount to a “guarantee”. He still didn’t make the team. Casey is more likely than not a pick, but I have a slight feeling for Garcia because he has played well on the course (more than once) and it particularly suits his type of game. A gamble but one he might deem worth taking. And that could - could! - entail Casey missing out, I feel. 4 40 somethings as pics just feels like a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Europe are going to get stuffed in this match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

If Garcia is picked, Bjorn is really leaving himself open to being a hostage of fortune. If Europe lose and Garcia doesn't perform Bjorn will be slated.

Garcia has been playing like a drain this year. Apart from his top 10 in France, his best result since the WGC matchplay is t24 at the Wyndham Championship. He has missed a serious amount of cuts too. There's no objective reason for picking him. It would be based on sentimentality and a hope that the Ryder Cup will suddenly inspire him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Cabrera Bello can be backed on Betfair at 9to4 to be picked . Pieters 3 to 1. Looking at the betting, Stenson, Poulter, Casey are certs and Sergio is 1to3.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Really don't see why Garcia will get picked. Doesn't deserve to be there at all.

Regarding my question on vice captains, was more aimed at if another will be added in place of woods. Thought Kucher was one anyway.

Looking forward to the comp, won't be a tap of work done on the Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mushy wrote: »

Absolutely, I've a days holiday booked in for it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Mushy wrote: »

Absolutely, I've a days holiday booked in for it.

Used too many days elsewhere, that'd be the smart move

• Advertisement

Wallace & Cabrera-Bello would feel rightly aggrieved to be passed over in favour of Garcia, the marquee name. And Bjorn will put the spin on, "a correct blend of youth and experience..."

Advertisement