Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijab wearing muslim "attacked" on street

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

lawlolawl wrote: »
    You're right, they just make sure to wear a hijab in public at all times for fun. You can whip the thing right off them and they'll have a great laugh with you about it.

Holy **** dude. Are you ok?

We have posters here claiming it is the same as exposing a woman's breasts. Do you stand by that comparison?

Jayop wrote: »
    You really don't know what that means do you?

Reported for trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm going to go out and find everyone who is ok with what happened to this woman in this thread and expose their private bits to the world because apparently that's perfectly ok now.

HINT FOR IDIOTS: 'Private bits' means different things to different cultures.

Why don't Muslim men Wear the Hijab if it's such a part of the Religions and the book it's from. Lets leave aside the forcing of women to wear it though threats of violence. And reprisals of the neighbourhood men.

What?

Please describe your knowledge or experience of the Muslim culture that has led you to not believe my assumption.

For a start your use of 'could be'. Either it is the case or not. Which is it? Or are you exaggerating for effect?

To you and me and most western women, exposing the face is meaningless.

To a Muslim women wearing a hijab, exposing her head could be just as distressing as a western women having her breasts exposed.

Different cultures. We can't judge every person by our own cultural norms and standards.

No it's not, It's not in the Book they take teaching from. It's from the lads on the pointy hats. Who like to oppress women. And treat them as property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

So we are back to the contrived sexualised comparisons?

Of course not. I picked a typical piece of female attire that a non-muslim women would typically wear to best describe a similar attack on a non-muslim woman.

You obviously have a grossly differing opinion to me which can't be changed. Either way, for the sake of my anger levels which are rising every time I have to reply to you, let's agree to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

But it is okay to overplay it by making it headline news?

I remember when there could be an earthquake killing hundreds but princess Diana would make front page news. How is a hate/religious crime not news worthy?

I can't believe we are having this debate. I mean, come on!

A woman was attacked in London. The BBC reported it because it has a remit to report news. Crime is news. Always has been.

What is the problem?!

So every attack that occurred in London the same day was reported by the BBC. That is your contention, right? Just so we are clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

We have posters here claiming it is the same as exposing a woman's breasts. Do you stand by that comparison?

Yeah i stand by it.

Go out and pull down the top of your average western European woman and see what happens to you. I'm sure they'll understand and say/do nothing about it the same as a Muslim woman should about her hijab being interfered with according to you.

Are you seriously that thick that you don't understand the difference between the different cultures we have living in Ireland now?

No it's not, It's not in the Book they take teaching from. It's from the lads on the pointy hats. Who like to oppress women. And treat them as property.

But it doesn't matter why she was wearing it, or even if she was another religion wearing a headscarf, grabbing people on the street and removing some of their clothing is wrong.
    End of.

• Advertisement

Of course not. I picked a typical piece of female attire that a non-muslim women would typically wear to best describe a similar attack on a non-muslim woman.

You obviously have a grossly differing opinion to me which can't be changed. Either way, for the sake of my anger levels which are rising every time I have to reply to you, let's agree to differ.

No, you attempted to sexualise it. A comparable item of clothing would be hat or head scarf.

Yeah i stand by it.

Go out and pull down the top of your average western European woman and see what happens to you. I'm sure they'll understand and say/do nothing about it the same as a Muslim woman should about her hijab being interfered with.

Are you seriously that thick that you don't understand the difference between the different cultures we have living in Ireland now?

Who got their top pulled down ?

Yeah i stand by it.

Go out and pull down the top of your average western European woman and see what happens to you. I'm sure they'll understand and say/do nothing about it the same as a Muslim woman should about her hijab being interfered with according to you.

So this is the same as a sexual assault in your mind?

Yeah i stand by it.

Reported. Attack the post, not the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

You have no idea could be 2 idiots passing time daring each other to knock the next persons hat off that come along.

That's immaterial. Two grown men pulled an article of clothing off a lone woman's body. That is assault and intimidation. The article of clothing or religion of the woman doesn't impact on that; it is a crime in and of itself. The possibility of it being racially motivated may add a further aspect to the crime but even if this is not in any way racially motivated, it is still a crime. Why does that need to be explained?

bubblypop wrote: »
    But it doesn't matter why she was wearing it, or even if she was another religion wearing a headscarf, grabbing people on the street and removing some of their clothing is wrong.
    End of.

I tend to not like women being subjugated and treated as property and people just going meh. The reason behind it is entirely related to the religion. Why don't the Men wear it ? You must be outraged that it's not an = status item ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

So every attack that occurred in London the same day was reported by the BBC. That is your contention, right? Just so we are clear.

Wayne Rooney scores a goal (or not) and that is newsworthy? But BBC didn't report every goal scored that day. Come on if you don't have an argument there's no need to be totally silly with your comments

That's immaterial. Two grown men pulled an article of clothing off a lone woman's body. That is assault and intimidation. The article of clothing or religion of the woman doesn't impact on that; it is a crime in and of itself. The possibility of it being racially motivated may add a further aspect to the crime but even if this is not in any way racially motivated, it is still a crime. Why does that need to be explained?

Hate crime in the Article off the bat. Also Islam is not a race.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I remember when there could be an earthquake killing hundreds but princess Diana would make front page news. How is a hate/religious crime not news worthy?

How is it more newsworthy than a sexual assault or a serious physical assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

But it isn't for you to determine how that woman feels about such an incident.

How the hell can you sit here and say that that woman in London doesn't feel the same level of distress and shame that a western women would feel if her breasts were exposed. I certainly don't know, hence my use of 'could be'.

All we know is that the MET did say she was shocked and distressed, which to me suggests a particular nasty event for her to endure.

• Advertisement

I tend to not like women being subjugated and treated as property and people just going meh. The reason behind it is entirely related to the religion. Why don't the Men wear it ? You must be outraged that it's not an = status item ?

But you're okay with them being assaulted in the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The consensus on this forum seems to be that if you're not beaten within an inch of your life it's not an assault and you should put up with it.

A couple of years ago there was a thread about a man in Dublin who threw a scumbag who had pissed on his shoes over some railings. The general consensus was that this man had no right to defend himself and should have just let the scumbag continue pissing on his shoes.

As far as I'm concerned physically invading someones personal space is an assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Reported for trolling.
    Reported. Attack the post, not the poster.

Mod: Don't backseat mod, and don't call other users trolls on thread. Thanks

Hate crime in the Article off the bat. Also Islam is not a race.

What's your point?

But it isn't for you to determine how that woman feels about such an incident.

How the hell can you sit here and say that that woman in London doesn't feel the same level of distress and shame that a western women would feel if her breasts were exposed. I certainly don't know, hence my use of 'could be'.

All we know is that the MET did say she was shocked and distressed, which to me suggests a particular nasty event for her to endure.

And no one else in London was shocked or distressed that particularly day by the actions of someone else?

But you're okay with them being assaulted in the street?

Link ?

I actually know women who wear one.
    Intelligent, outgoing women.
    And they choose to wear it.
    It doesn't matter a damn in this case anyway, do you think that strangers should be allowed to pull clothes off women or men, in the street?

What's your point?
    The article of clothing or religion of the woman doesn't impact on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Who got their top pulled down ?

That's not the point and you know that.

Muslim women wear a burka/hijab for a reason. There are certain parts of a woman that they consider taboo to be exposed to public view, much like (buh-buh-wha?!?!) a pair of exposed tits is in western culture. It isn't on you or any other internet hardman mouthbreather to start pulling at the thing covering them because you don't think them exposing their face/hair isn't something sexual/taboo to you.

Leave them alone. Their beliefs and dresscode has nothing to do with me,you or anyone beyond any authorities that might want to identify them.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    I actually know women who wear one.
    Intelligent, outgoing women.
    And they choose to wear it.
    It doesn't matter a damn in this case anyway, do you think that strangers should be allowed to pull clothes off women or men, in the street?

She can enter the mosque without it ?

Advertisement