Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijab wearing muslim "attacked" on street

Options

Comments

And I got called out for semantics .. Jesus. :eek: Why mention race or religion then ?

Lots of crimes are classified as hate crimes, assaults, murders even criminal damage can be hate crimes. It depends on the motivation.
    They are still assaults, murders and criminal damage, they are still investigated the same way. Motivation is a factor in all crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Don't bother; they haven't released one. But instead, maybe stop making assumptions about what other people may or may not think so that you have something to argue about. It doesn't make for an engaging thread; it just drags everything off-course.

Point taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

How people react to an attack/assault isn't the basis to define it.

For example - a bunch of boozed up teenage girls in a nightclub pulling down a guys jeans, and the guy laughing and buying them a drink, doesn't mean it wasn't an assault.

Religion aside, i think this is one example where men would react differently to women.

If a girl ran up behind a guy on the street, gave him a wedgie and ran off, i don't see many guys going to the cops about it. Flip the roles and i imagine most girls would report it.

Reactions to sexual assault can be very different between the genders too. I've seen many a girl grabbing a random guys ass in a nightclub and there wouldn't be many guys who'd feel they've just been sexually assaulted. Even if they just have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

How people react to an attack/assault isn't the basis to define it.

For example - a bunch of boozed up teenage girls in a nightclub pulling down a guys jeans, and the guy laughing and buying them a drink, doesn't mean it wasn't an assault.

Religion aside, i think this is one example where men would react differently to women.

If a girl ran up behind a guy on the street, gave him a wedgie and ran off, i don't see many guys going to the cops about it. Flip the roles and i imagine most girls would report it.

Reactions to sexual assault can be very different between the genders too. I've seen many a girl grabbing a random guys ass in a nightclub and there wouldn't be many guys who'd feel they've just been sexually assaulted. Even if they just have.

Just because some dopey yung lad/wan won't complain doesn't make something right. This isn't just a gender thing, it's a culture thing as well.

Messing with a Muslim womans hijab/burka is something your just don't do. Go try and pull a Sikh males turban off and tell me how it went once you recover from the rightful ass-kicking you receive.

Just leave people alone. Is this that hard a concept to understand?

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Just because some dopey yung lad/wan won't complain doesn't make something right. This isn't just a gender thing, it's a culture thing as well.

Messing with a Muslim womans hijab/burka is something your just don't do. Go try and pull a Sikh males turban off and tell me how it went once you recover from the rightful ass-kicking you receive.

Would be hard to do it's hair tied in cloth.

• Advertisement

where did i say that it makes it right? :confused:

I said a lot of people are actually assaulted and don't feel like they have been assaulted. And for me that's a gender difference in how men and women react to certain things. Prime example, as i said, is how many guys get their ass grabbed in nightclubs by random girls and consider it a positive, yet girls getting their ass grabbed generally feel like they've been violated.

Oh and there's no such thing as a "rightful ass-kicking". Two wrongs don't make a right.

where did i say that it makes it right? :confused:

I said a lot of people are actually assaulted and don't feel like they have been assaulted. And for me that's a gender difference in how men and women react to certain things. Prime example, as i said, is how many guys get their ass grabbed in nightclubs by random girls and consider it a positive, yet girls getting their ass grabbed generally feel like they've been violated.

Oh and there's no such thing as a "rightful ass-kicking". Two wrongs don't make a right.

It's almost as if different things are deemed acceptable/unacceptable for different genders by different cultures :eek:

There is absolutely such a thing as a rightful ass kicking and society would benefit from it happening more often. As i've said already, I would absolutely intervene physically in a situation where someone of a given faith was being messed with because of their traditional dress/customs.

I've had to do it verbally enough times already that i'm sick of it. Perhaps certain newly incumbent religions or ethnic groupings wouldn't feel so isolated from Irish society if people didn't just stand there open-mouthed while other Irish people denigrated them.

We've become so PC that you can't even criticize or chastise the mouthbreathers hurling racial/religion-o-phobic/xenophobic abuse at people now.

As i said already: is it that hard to just leave people alone?

It's almost as if different things are deemed acceptable/unacceptable for different genders by different cultures :eek:

There is absolutely such a thing as a rightful ass kicking and society would benefit from it happening more often. As i've said already, I would absolutely intervene physically in a situation where someone of a given faith was being messed with because of their traditional dress/customs.

Society would benefit from vigilantes dishing out beatings to scumbags?

Tremendous logic and likely to get you killed some day.

It's NOT ok to batter someone for yanking off someone else's Turban. That's biblical level eye-for-an-eye stuff you're condoning. Two wrongs don't make a right. Assault by the first guy, matched by assault from you.

Both of you should then be arrested.

Society would benefit from vigilantes dishing out beatings to scumbags.

I fixed your post for you.

I fixed your post for you.

No one ever has been wrongfully accused .....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

I'm sorry but if someone took off my hat you can be damn sure it wouldn't be reported by the BBC as a "racially motivated attack" or as "an assault". It's absolutely beyond me that in 2016 that women are wearing a bloody postbox over their body to please the skygod.

What if the two idiots pulled the head gear off a nun? Or the skullcap off a Jew? Would you be just as dismissive saying they should be wearing these items anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Amazing that so many are openly ok with Women being assaulted on the street, due to there far right political leanings. Pretty disgusting as per usual from that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

wes wrote: »
    Amazing that so many are openly ok with Women being assaulted on the street, due to there far right political leanings. Pretty disgusting as per usual from that lot.

By all accounts same it was the equivalent of a hood been pulled down .

The fact it's been Labeled a Shocking Assault is beggers belief even worse it made front page headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I had my hat pulled off my head by a gang of scrotes while waiting for a bus. Apart from them taking several hairs out my head while doing it, I also felt fairly shaken that my personal space was so invaded by complete strangers.

Lads might think it's funny, but it's extremely unnerving when you're surrounded by people bigger than you who think they have a right to lay their hands on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Billy86 wrote: »
    Honest question, if someone reefed you mother/daughter/sister/wife's handbag or coat off her in the middle of the street in England for being a 'Paddy' would you be grand with it?

Change that 'handbag or coat' to 'balaclava' and you have yourself a working analogy for the purposes of this discussion.

Astonishing that some on here, wish to cover up such attacks, by demanding the media not report them. Doubly disturbing but not unexpected that so many men are ok with this assault, as the Woman in question is the wrong kind of Woman and in there eyes deserving of the assault or they try to minimize it as prank or banter. Hardly surprising as this is sadly a far to common view among some men.

We see with Nigel Farage and his ilk defending Trumps statements in regards to sexually assaulting a Woman, as something most men do (talking about sexually assaulting women). I can only wonder what kind of company these men keep.

topper75 wrote: »
    Change that 'handbag or coat' to 'balaclava' and you have yourself a working analogy for the purposes of this discussion.

Hijab doesn't cover the face......... Try again!

Astonishing that some on here, wish to cover up such attacks, by demanding the media not report them.

A -it wasn't an attack or shocking Assault

B- who said it should be covered up and demanded it not be reported ,

140 people died in a bomb attack at a funeral in Yemen yesterday ,
    But people are moreb outraged by the equivalent of a hood been pulled down that's the shock

• Registered Users Posts: 40,360 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gatling wrote: »

But people are moreb outraged by the equivalent of a hood been pulled down that's the shock

It was most definitely assault. and what is worse is that it was a racially motivated assault. and spare me the "muslim isnt a race" rubbish, you know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A- It's technically an assault

B- Just jumped in here so I have no idea.

C- you're not limited in being outraged or even annoyed at one thing at a time.

I read the story yesterday, I'm not sure if it was updated since then. From what I could tell it's not 100% certain it was motivated by her religion although it's probable. The attackers didn't say anything did they? All we have to go on is their actions.
    I don't think this is front page news but I do think it's news worthy. The woman wasn't physically harmed but she was assaulted and it might be racially/religiously motivated. So page 5 or 6 for example.

• Advertisement

It was an assault. Disgusting that you would claim otherwise. It pretty telling, when people deny what happened, when we are talking about the wrong kind of Woman.

That is the whole purpose of this thread. Pretty clearly.

You would have a point if a single person actually were less outraged of 140 people being bombed in Yemen.
    Utterly repellent of you to use the deaths of 140 people in Yemen in this manner. IMHO, pretty disrespectful to the victims.

Also, not surprising to see your minimizing an assault on a Woman. Of course, you deny that an assault took place at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What a sad, sad comment. All Muslims are terrorists???? Absolutely shameful that you'd throw in balaclava. Your mother must be real proud. NOT!

It was an assault. Disgusting that you would claim otherwise. It pretty telling, when people deny

Your post is totally nonsense soapboxing plain and simple ,,

Your post is totally nonsense soapboxing plain and simple ,,

You denied that an assault took place. Why would you make such a blatantly false claim? Care to explain that? I see no reason why anyone would make such a ridiculous statement.

Well, I'm female, I often have a scarf wrapped around my head and/or halfway up my face.
    Do you think anyone has the right to pull it off me?

You denied that an assault took place. Why would you make such a blatantly false claim? Care to explain that? I see no reason why anyone would make such a ridiculous statement.

I denied A SHOCKING HORRIFIC ASSAULT took place which it didn't ,

Rather than try make out that your morally outraged and and stop trying to both put words and agendas in people's posts that clearly are not there ,

Spend a moment or two thinking about the HORRIFIC ASSAULT on the citizens of Aleppo or Yemen

I denied A SHOCKING HORRIFIC ASSAULT took place which it didn't ,

Your exact words:

How was it not an attack?

Also, here is the meaning of the word shocking:
    shocking
    ˈʃɒkɪŋ/
    adjective
    adjective: shocking

causing indignation or disgust; offensive.
    "shocking behaviour"
    causing a feeling of surprise and dismay.
    "she brought shocking news"

Care to explain how referring to the attack as shocking is inaccurate? Seems pretty apt per the meaning of the word.

I do have to question why you are so annoyed by the term "shocking"? It seems like a perfectly valid description. Care to explain how its use is inaccurate?
    Rather than try make out that your morally outraged and and stop trying to both put words and agendas in people's posts that clearly are not there ,

What words did I insert? Seems clear to me the purpose of the thread. Why else would anyone take issue with the BBC reporting on the assault? What possible reason could someone have with a single page online news report. It wasn't like it got wall to wall coverage over several days or something. The reaction to the existence of the story seems insane to me.
    Spend a moment or two thinking about the HORRIFIC ASSAULT on the citizens of Aleppo or Yemen

Utterly disturbing to reduce the suffering of others to whataboutery.

Ok, let me use a similarly absurd statement:
    "You should spend sometime thinking about the poor people of "some place where an atrocity took place", as opposed to being annoyed by the word "shocking".". Surely you must understand how utterly nonsensical such a statement is, right? Its a pointless attempt to change the subject and is imho highly offense to use peoples suffering to try and score some points in an online argument. It is IMHO a pretty awful thing to do, and shows a lack of compassion for victims, when you reduce them to tools in an online argument.

when you reduce them to tools in an online argument.

Very well put .

Very well put .

So you admit to doing so?

Also, you haven't offered any reasoning, as to why the word "shocking" annoys you so much in regards to this cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What a sad, sad comment. All Muslims are terrorists???? Absolutely shameful that you'd throw in balaclava. Your mother must be real proud. NOT!

You must be really upset and emotional more like.

When you are calm again, consider the poverty of the original attempt at analogy: British natives have handbags. They are not analogous to a head covering that seeks to make a statement of being separate from the surrounding society. I wouldn't defend an Irish person walking around with a balaclava in a UK town if they had it pulled off their head.

Advertisement