Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The ad where the parents are at a kids' rugby match, then the muddy kids start coming back to the cars and they flip out.
    The parents look like a load of snooty gits.
    One mother even locks her son out of the car. Is she just going to drive off and leave him there?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,726 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This toy show ad is really puke.

walshb wrote: »
    This toy show ad is really puke.

I thought it was alright, but knowing how many times I'm going to have to see it in the next two weeks, am anticipating absolutely hating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Acosta

If I've got an acca comin in I find myself gettin verrry excited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

This image is on the RTE website, showing the rte 'stars' promoting the books they're putting forward for an award, as well as advertising the RTE book awards.

So, they're saving money with a 2 for 1 advert... but you're telling me they couldn't afford to photograph each one of them actually holding the books?
    Instead, they just photoshopped them all together, then superimposed the books on the image. (And I know they can't all be photographed together, cos of Covid.. but holding a book will not kill anyone).

It's preposterously cheap.

00158412-1600.jpg

Who is that on the very left?
    Was that really the best photo they could get of Tubbs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

crazy 88 wrote: »

Miriams head looks way too big. Bad photo shop. Not sure who yer man on left is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Has anyone else followed the link?
    When I do all I get is this and a link to download a pdf of the terms and conditions.

20201113-233952.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

crazy 88 wrote: »

He is the host of Arena, the Arts review show on RTÉ Radio 1.
    Yes, yes it is. A face for Radio as they say, but mumbles through most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

It's the bosseyedness and weird smoothed out skin that annoys me.

Joe Duffy with 1 neck

First I have inexplicable dislike of Ryan Tubrity and the reverance that the media and some of the public put on him. I think he's smarmy, egotistical and bored at his job.

Secondly the daily updates on The Toy Show since March is irritating, I know you will tell me I could switch off but he's everywhere!

So it goes without saying I hate their ****ing billy barry ad for the show.

And also the super valu sentimental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

Elmo wrote: »
    First I have inexplicable dislike of Ryan Tubrity and the reverance that the media and some of the public put on him. I think he's smarmy, egotistical and bored at his job.

Secondly the daily updates on The Toy Show since March is irritating, I know you will tell me I could switch off but he's everywhere!

So it goes without saying I hate their ****ing billy barry ad for the show.

And also the super valu sentimental.

I’ve never understood the fuss over the toy show. Rte seem inordinately proud of it though. Then again, maybe that’s not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

trashcan wrote: »
    I’ve never understood the fuss over the toy show. Rte seem inordinately proud of it though. Then again, maybe that’s not surprising.

Always found the Billie B*llox Stage schools kids to be overly pretentious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

spookwoman wrote: »
    Always found the Billie B*llox Stage schools kids to be overly pretentious

I have yet to meet a single child or ex-child who actually liked them.
    Toy show was meant to be about toys, not stage school brats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

trashcan wrote: »

It's a show I've tuned out of for almost ten years. Pop on a movie, do anything else.
    I just don't watch it. (Pat Kenny was actually damn good at the show tho-he made it about the toys. Tubridy buries the show in misery).
    I have yet to meet a single child or ex-child who actually liked them.
    Toy show was meant to be about toys, not stage school brats.

Sheana Keane (memba' her? Interesting presenter-then fell foul of Blathnaid) once summed up the Billy Barry kids perfectly- they were these smiling, soulless entities who, if you punched them in the face they would keep smiling, keep singing or whatever.

Very unnatural. And the media and RTe seems so obsessed over 'overly sexualising' kids..never looked at some of the disturbing cringe the Billy Barry kids got up.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

The SuspectValu sentimental Christmas ad, I have heard people compare it to John Lewis ads, that Oh My God it's soooo amazing, and that it brought tears to their eyes.

I think it's the greatest load of hackneyed sh1te I have seen in quite some time, I have only seen it the once and that was enough.

The SuspectValu sentimental Christmas ad, I have heard people compare it to John Lewis ads, that Oh My God it's soooo amazing, and that it brought tears to their eyes.

I think it's the greatest load of hackneyed sh1te I have seen in quite some time, I have only seen it the once and that was enough.

Agreed. I know some other people who like it, I think it's bad. It's selfish and cringe.

Personally, I think the Woodies advert is genuinely well made. Simple kind gesture, works wonderfully well.
    And there's no hooplah, just a young guy who helps out an elderly neighbour, and doesn't care about glory or being idolized.

Works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Agreed. I know some other people who like it, I think it's bad. It's selfish and cringe.

Personally, I think the Woodies advert is genuinely well made. Simple kind gesture, works wonderfully well.
    And there's no hooplah, just a young guy who helps out an elderly neighbour, and doesn't care about glory or being idolized.

Works really well.

I hadn't seen it, yes it's lovely, the gift of time and care, as opposed to material things :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I hadn't seen it, yes it's lovely, the gift of time and care, as opposed to material things :)

Will the fecker who’s slicing onions on this train please stop!!!!

Ah man that’s beautiful!! Love Kevin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Tears will be brought to poor little Conor's eyes when he finds out Granddad won't be coming to visit under Level 3 restrictions.

Tim76 wrote: »
    Tears will be brought to poor little Conor's eyes when he finds out Granddad won't be coming to visit under Level 3 restrictions.

He'll get over it-mam and dad bought him a ps5.

• Advertisement

The SuperValu ad would have gotten a pass from me if the media hadn't hyped it up to Oscar winning material first. It's not bad, but it's certainly not John Lewis standard.

The SuperValu ad would have gotten a pass from me if the media hadn't hyped it up to Oscar winning material first. It's not bad, but it's certainly not John Lewis standard.

RTe been hyping up the LLS Toy Show advert like it was the second coming of Christ...

Just stop, RTE. I'm sure people would be happier having jobs or their own houses than that bloody show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭siblers

RTe been hyping up the LLS Toy Show advert like it was the second coming of Christ...

Just stop, RTE. I'm sure people would be happier having jobs or their own houses than that bloody show.

Not a fan of Tubs at all but if it gives the children something to look forward to then what harm

siblers wrote: »
    Not a fan of Tubs at all but if it gives the children something to look forward to then what harm

I'm sure children would be happier with the toys. And be much happier not to be tormented by Tubridy.

Plus, he turns the show into misery.

It should be about fun, joy, excitement...

Instead we get 'your dad's dead...'

'You were in hospital for Xmas'

'You're being bullied...'

Just no... there is enough misery in the world, make Xmas fun fer gawd's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm sure children would be happier with the toys. And be much happier not to be tormented by Tubridy.

Plus, he turns the show into misery.

It should be about fun, joy, excitement...

Instead we get 'your dad's dead...'

'You were in hospital for Xmas'

'You're being bullied...'

Just no... there is enough misery in the world, make Xmas fun fer gawd's sake.

So you don't think the bullied kid has a brilliant Xmas after being on the LLTS? Or the kid at home, who is being bullied, but watches and suddenly feels, and even if just a tiny little bit, a little less alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Acosta

Imagine the pressure RTE producers are put under every year to go out and find the child that will get them trending on the night.

The only thing I want to see less than Ryan Tubridy intervening adults is him interviewing children.

I'm happy with myself for so far avoiding the super value ad. I had a close call last night. This carry on is getting worse every year. And if morons in the media feel the need to discuss it, then they will continue to be more annoying annually. John Lewis has a lot to answer for.

Quazzie wrote: »
    So you don't think the bullied kid has a brilliant Xmas after being on the LLTS? Or the kid at home, who is being bullied, but watches and suddenly feels, and even if just a tiny little bit, a little less alone?

I think RTÉ should make programming for children that might discuss those issue, but they've cut back and cut back and cut back on children's content.

And to tell you the truth looking at other people's misfortunes rarely helps you over come your own, or allows you to think it could be much worse.

I rather be entertained and look at something positive. You can give the bullied child a role but he/she doesn't have to talk about it, they can actually enjoy their time on the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Acosta wrote: »
    Imagine the pressure RTE producers are put under every year to go out and find the child that will get them trending on the night.

The annual ring everyone in the canteen with a sprog chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

siblers wrote: »

Rubbish. Tubridy has been Captain Lockdown and the RTE agent for the government narrative on COVID since day 1. He has probably done more than most in instilling unnecessary fear into the populace, including children. Now here he is being the benevolent lifter of the troops at Christmas time, being the focal point of the socially distant Christmas 2020. Give me a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

Is he coming daddy, is he really coming?
    Yes son he's really coming
    Enter Grandad, aka Bryan Murray, aka Brooksides Trevor Jordache with murderous intent eyeing up the family and the patio.

ok, so it might not really be Bryan Murray but he looks a bit like him and it makes me smile.

Advertisement