Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The advert for The Den...

I cringe... you can just see Ray D'arcy is dead inside...there's no joy there. He's pushing 60, I imagine he's just counting down until he can retire.

Kevin the bloody carrot is back.....

Can all Christmas adverts be banned under being non-essential???

Also, is Kevin meant to be Scottish?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I cringe... you can just see Ray D'arcy is dead inside...there's no joy there. He's pushing 60, I imagine he's just counting down until he can retire.

In a way I can see what they were trying to do with it. Showing up the straight man character of the group as being very silly, that's fine, I get it, children like that humour and some adults too too and thats grand. But D'arcy just does it so badly that it doesnt even work, is there something wrong with him like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Also, is Kevin meant to be Scottish?

Wouldn't have a clue. i see it and mute it or change the channel.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    In a way I can see what they were trying to do with it. Showing up the straight man character of the group as being very silly, that's fine, I get it, children like that humour and some adults too too and thats grand. But D'arcy just does it so badly that it doesnt even work, is there something wrong with him like?

Plus it's in the graveyard, dead shift hour-6.30 pm on a Sunday.

We all know that that show is gonna be axed after one series. It's filler, dead filler.

From some idiot who thought twitter was a great way to gauge what audiences want.

D'Arcy had promise before-but he's given up, frankly. My mum kind of twigged D'arcy's career. All his time in television, and he's literally back where he started.
    Started out in The Den, now he's back in the Den.

Like an actor who can never escape that 'one' role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,938 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kids who never knew The Den won't get it, adults might watch out of curiosity although most adults are turned off by what D'arcy has turned into.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Kids who never knew The Den won't get it, adults might watch out of curiosity although most adults are turned off by what D'arcy has turned into.

Turned into a Dude trousering North of 500K eurons per annum.

Not bad for a gobsh1te with minimal talent this poster would opine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

D'arcy is an interesting case. I'm old enough (annoying cliche, not even that old) to remember his early days at RTE. He seemed a great lad, and looked very comfortable in the role. Affable, popular guy with a fairly easy charm, you'd be on his side.

I think what has happened since is that in an effort to be seen to be taken more seriously he left himself lost between 2 stools. I wouldn't put him in with the insincere or disingenuous characters like Ryan Tubridy, but then again wouldn't put him in with the good set of hands of the likes of Michael Parkinson (literally couldn't think of an Irish equivalent......maybe Marty Whelan). I mean what is his niche now?

It's quite cringeworthy though to see him at this point in his career going around in the superhero gear in an effort to sustain his hefty wage. I mean don't get me wrong I can understand why he would do it. At some point though I figure there's a limit to how far one should go to sustain themselves in caviar. If it's not working Ray just stick to the radio and keep your dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Gervais08 wrote: »
    All of them. I can’t remember the last time I saw an advert without a mixed race couple, a woman berating a man for not doing the housework/childcare, a boy using dolls or a kitchen etc.

There is ZERO wrong with any of these - marry who you want; yeah loads of men do the chores - my dad did all the cooking as the mammy could burn Weetabix and am the biggest tomboy going - but it’s all so forced, and t feels like it’s ticking boxes.

It's definitely a box ticking exercise, the people making these ads must literally have a list they work off and try to cramp as much as they can into most ads regardless what they are advertising; mixed race couple tick, gay couple/ rainbow flag tick, assertive woman/mother in high powered position tick, people/children doing non conforming gender roles tick, idiot/ gormless white middle aged man/dad tick.
    There's nothing wrong with the above in isolation, but, it is tiresome seeing it crammed into virtually every second ad. The irony is in trying to break down stereotypes, they are actually reinforcing new/ other stereotypes. Also they are so anxious to include all or at least some of the above in ads that the product they are actually advertising gets lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Plus it's in the graveyard, dead shift hour-6.30 pm on a Sunday.

We all know that that show is gonna be axed after one series. It's filler, dead filler.

From some idiot who thought twitter was a great way to gauge what audiences want.

D'Arcy had promise before-but he's given up, frankly. My mum kind of twigged D'arcy's career. All his time in television, and he's literally back where he started.
    Started out in The Den, now he's back in the Den.

Like an actor who can never escape that 'one' role.

Now would you dress up as superman for €445k pa?

Because I know I would :D

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Now would you dress up as superman for €445k pa?

Because I know I would :D

I'd have to weigh that up with 'can I actually get out of bed in the morning' vs 'lots of money'...

It genuinely would be a Sophie's choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Makes fcukin two of us!!! The sooner he's gone the better... Maybe they'll bring Mooney back, I liked Mooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Makes fcukin two of us!!! The sooner he's gone the better... Maybe they'll bring Mooney back, I liked Mooney.

Dustin on Mooney: The poor man's D'arcy (This was when both were on Kids TV)

Elmo wrote: »
    Dustin on Mooney: The poor man's D'arcy (This was when both were on Kids TV)

Dustin lost all rights to his high horse when he went off to the Eurovision...

Even Dervish were less embarrassing....only slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

There's a fourth carrot child now.

The Irish version, a babby a year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

They are showing the Paddington Bear Christmas ad again.
    You know? the one with the middle-aged, obese cat burgular who for some bizarre reason dresses in bright red :rolleyes:
    And due to his sahf lahndun accent, it sounds like he says 'fúck you, little bear' to Paddington at the end :eek:

Don't forget to put the clothes on top.... Yes I would gladly stand on that fcukers neck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,645 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have just seen and heard, Idris Sky Christmas ad, no no no just no please

The new Nike(?) Christmas ad where the young lad magically gets the runners from the window. There is a load of apparently famous people in it who I don't know from Adam.
    There is also this horrible (c)rap music and drum and bass throughout which really doesn't suit the Xmas mood.
    Worst Xmas ad ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,645 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kevin is a right goer, another wee snapper for him and Colm Meaney is the Aldi Santy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The permanent tsb ad with the rapey faced bank manager...

Get the f*ck out of my house you c*nt

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Already the arty farty fragrance ads.
    Fück off with your "Happy Holidays".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Speaking of GAA ads, the ad for the minor championships, with the boggery accent. "Struck down in your prime, no face to face, or chance of a shift yada yada....Seems to follow a similar theme with all Gaa that there is nothing more important in life then "de GA".... obsession with it in this country is worse than religion, and don't dare question it.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Mesh ish eee na baah dill. It makes me want to tear my hair out.

What is that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

What is that one?

It has to be the one with the girl wandering around forlornly murdering message in a bottle. Don’t even know what it’s for but I dive for the remote every time I hear it. Absolutely brutal.

Tesco trying to make a comedy ad about Covid.
    Tattyfilarious :rolleyes:

Trump2016_ wrote: »
    Yeah I hate that too.

They're acting like the GAA is a normal part of every teenagers life. Not everyone plays GAA.

Just reinforcing the GAA lad monoculture.

I don't know why the need for an ad. Perhaps they could use some of the money spent on ads to, oh I don't know, actually pay their players?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That ad with Meaney and Kevin The Carrot..

.. saw the full ad across 3 consecutive ad breaks. The ad is probably 60 seconds long but feels three times that.

Oh, and that "If I Were A Toy" jingle is back! :Mad:

• Advertisement

Had a bit of a lie this morning, first ad, that poor fecker with the squiffy eyes... Jesus that ad goes on forever.

Advertisement