Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I can’t get over that PTSB mortgage ad... it looks like yer one is meeting the guy from the bank at the house she’s buying, and he’s turning up expecting to get the ride, but then the boyfriend is there and he has to make up some bull**** reason why he’s there when the mortgage is long since approved. Now he’s majorly pissed off - for obvious reasons - but has to cover it up in case the boyfriend rumbles him and complains to the Financial Regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

fricatus wrote: »
    I can’t get over that PTSB mortgage ad... it looks like yer one is meeting the guy from the bank at the house she’s buying, and he’s turning up expecting to get the ride, but then the boyfriend is there and he has to make up some bull**** reason why he’s there when the mortgage is long since approved. Now he’s majorly pissed off - for obvious reasons - but has to cover it up in case the boyfriend rumbles him and complains to the Financial Regulator.

I especially like the crushed smile he has when the couple hug each other at the end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

Vodafone recycling last years ad, with the Grandad swimming with the magic levitating phone.

They should bring back beardy for the laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Acosta wrote: »
    They should bring back beardy for the laugh

Smugbeard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

Smugbeard?

The one and only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Some Irish bank ad shows two young lads eating spag bol in front of the telly. Their faces are fecking destroyed with sauce. If it was a toddler that's grand but these lads look about 10 or 12 yo ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

The latest Oil Of Olay ad annoys me. The lady in the ad smears the cream
    across her face and drags it roughly across her under eye area. That kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

:D

Its just ridiculous because in the first ad when she is out jogging she takes a photo of the house which you presume she is sending to her boyfriend. But no, its to the smarmy banker who proclaims "Lets do it" before we get a montage of them both furiously typing at their laptops. The bankers smug grin at the end is insufferable too, its like he is standing there waiting to be invited for a threesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Who in the **** thought that Tesco mobile advert was a good idea? It makes absolutely no sense and is likely the worst advert that’s been around all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

What’s with the pervert on the bench spying on the couple doing exercises in the park, mind your own business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I don't think the Tesco Mobile ad is that bad compared to most other ones but the ending with the other woman watching doesn't make any sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the point in that song choice? Its not relevant to the ad and doesnt add anything, its like they filmed their sh1tty ad then said "how can we increase the cost of making this ad by 8000% in a single stroke for no reason?"

I presume it's because of the "I'm not that innocent" line in the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Is it me, or did they CGI in masks at the beginning of the Tesco advert?

There's a few variants, but the one where it opens in the Supermarket, with the teenaged girl has clearly been edited.

The new ad has her mask pulled up over her face, but the original had it pulled down.

Seems they did edit it, this is the old advert (unlisted on youtube, rather than deleted).

And this is the edited version, notice the very obvious 'edit' to hide her pulling down the mask.

The guy in the shorts I believe has been edited too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Smyth’s Toys ad with the kid singing “If I were a toy” is annoying beyond belief. Irish people don’t tend like English ads being broadcast here unmodified. No offence to my English friends either - being mostly from up north, they don’t tend to have great love for that Home Counties accent (like “Mummyyyy, may I have a baaawth?”) any more than we do. I thought Smyth’s was Irish anyway so like WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

The Smyth’s Toys ad with the kid singing “If I were a toy” is annoying beyond belief. Irish people don’t tend like English ads being broadcast here unmodified. No offence to my English friends either - being mostly from up north, they don’t tend to have great love for that Home Counties accent (like “Mummyyyy, may I have a baaawth?”) any more than we do. I thought Smyth’s was Irish anyway so like WTF?

Meh, I wouldn't really be too bothered by annoying kids ads, maybe it's a good thing when they annoy adults as they might appeal more to youngsters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Ok I know I’m breaking the rules here but I just want to say I’ve seen the An Post Christmas ad and I love it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If they had an Irish kid singing it would be "if I were a tie".

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Theopinionater

Had to get in on this thread. That ****ing useless wanker Idris Elba doing sky ads, like seriously that is the best direction his career could go in? This was the same person that people flagged as the next James Bond? The next just boring is all. Singing corny rhymes and getting edited into movies that he wouldn’t have a hope of getting cast for anyways. He’s a black Gerard Butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Have they taken out the bit where it sounds like he’s saying “fat bastard”? ;)

The ad for the waterproof runners. The guy wearing them has no socks on and his trousers end halfway up his calves. Him jumping in puddles like a loon, so what is the point of waterproof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

“Purf with Surf”. It makes me want to do violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dunnes "dress the whole family in festive matching PJs", including the dog.

I'd hate to be a member of the fictional family that would actually do this.

After shave or perfume.
    A pure rip-off of Mad Max Fury Road with lots of vehicles chasing a couple through the desert, a big dust cloud behind them. The man for some reason can flick his hands and cause the cars to go flying into the air, killing the drivers.
    At the end the police are trying to chase them down, perfectly understandable considering they have just murdered several people. What does your man do? flicks his hands and kills the police too of course :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Idris ELBA SKY ad is bad.
    Those life insurance and funeral insurance ads are brutal.
    Tesco Christmas ads are very unchristmasy

Had to get in on this thread. That ****ing useless wanker Idris Elba doing sky ads, like seriously that is the best direction his career could go in? This was the same person that people flagged as the next James Bond? The next just boring is all. Singing corny rhymes and getting edited into movies that he wouldn’t have a hope of getting cast for anyways. He’s a black Gerard Butler.

Excellent as Stringer Bell in the Wire, but im hard pressed if i can honestly say he stood out in anything else or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Excellent as Stringer Bell in the Wire, but im hard pressed if i can honestly say he stood out in anything else or me.

He was genuinely memorable as Chief Bogo in Zootopia. He gave a really sinister performance in Star Trek: Beyond (unfortunately that was overshadowed by the passing of Leonard Nimoy, and the horrible tragic accident that killed Anton Yelchin, but it was 2016-nothing good happened that year.)

Hobbs and Shaw, and Pacific Rim, he was good in too. (The latter film feels sadly disjointed). Oh, and he was Shere Khan in the Jungle Book remake.

He has given solid performances, but that kind of tells you how bad the adverts are-the make people negate everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

He was genuinely memorable as Chief Bogo in Zootopia. He gave a really sinister performance in Star Trek: Beyond (unfortunately that was overshadowed by the passing of Leonard Nimoy, and the horrible tragic accident that killed Anton Yelchin, but it was 2016-nothing good happened that year.)

Hobbs and Shaw, and Pacific Rim, he was good in too. (The latter film feels sadly disjointed). Oh, and he was Shere Khan in the Jungle Book remake.

He has given solid performances, but that kind of tells you how bad the adverts are-the make people negate everything else.

I’d add Beasts of No Nation to your list. Think he played Mandela as well, and was decent. But based on The Wire alone he has a lot of credit in the bank for me. But yeah, the ads are shameful. I hope at least he was outrageously well paid.

It's almost like the supermarkets all made a bet to see who could producee the worst xmas ad this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Urgh, just saw the Lidl Christmas one with the cgi animated family. The song in it is head wrecking and it seems to go on forever.

• Advertisement

The Granda Gilligan ad. There will be a follow up with a team of undercover guards hiding outside the house saying 'do you really think he will come?'

The new animated 7up ad looks like it cost about 20 euro to make. Actually a lot of the billion $ multinationals have been putting out shoddy and cheap looking ads lately.

Advertisement