Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2700s return

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When you only got a single quote, what do you expect?

Well that depends, did you only ask 1 crowd to quote,?or Did only 1 crowd bother getting back to you with a quote, and did they end up knowing they were the only guys quoting...?
    Not that if it matters if the lads with the purse strings reckon the quote is not value for money..
    And if the million quid a unit had very little comeback because of being a refurb.. (the contracter blames the engine maker, the engine maker blames the transmission, who reckons the wiring wasn't appropriate, so back to the contractor and round again), that could be a very expensive box of lemons. twice.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

OK, thanks for all info.

Is there a market in second hand DMUs?

Could we buy, say 40-60 units, and have them within 3 months?

I realise they have to be re-bogied.

EDIT - I see IE is doing this, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

What did you see?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Geuze wrote: »
    OK, thanks for all info.

Is there a market in second hand DMUs?

Could we buy, say 40-60 units, and have them within 3 months?

I realise they have to be re-bogied.

EDIT - I see IE is doing this, sorry.

IE were looking at leasing units from the uk, however the costs and timeframe to get them into service didn't work in favour of it.
    it is very unlikely you would be able to simply pick up second hand units and have them in service in 3 months. assuming they would fit our loading gauge and are available straight away, they would have to be checked out, modifications made, paperwork sorted out, get them to ireland, test them, train the drivers on them. i would say you would be looking at a year all in all tbh. maybe a bit less, but very much unlikely to be 3 months unfortunately.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Polar101

When ordered the 2700's were expected to have an in life service of about 15-18 years, assuming they didn't receive a complete rebuild in service.

Hopefully the 29k trains had a longer expectancy when they were bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

Well, they need major refurbishment work soon since the floors are collapsing. This would have started already except that they can't afford to take anything out of service at the moment.

Given that Irish Rail are looking at making a huge new commuter order, it would be consistent with past behaviour for them to spend a fortune doing up the 29Ks and then parking them all up somewhere once they've got shiny new trains to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

Jem72 wrote: »

Given that Irish Rail are looking at making a huge new commuter order, it would be consistent with past behaviour for them to spend a fortune doing up the 29Ks and then parking them all up somewhere once they've got shiny new trains to play with.

29ks are to be casscaded down to Cork Suburbans once the full new DART fleet are in operation. They'll be rattling about for many a year yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You'd think that some train manufacturer/ maintenence company would be all over this...
    An immediate refurb of the 2700s - followed by an ongoing refurb of the 29ks, and a new order to boot... Obviously it'd be more beneficial nationally to be done in Ireland but its not impossible to ship them anywhere...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

DoctorPan wrote: »
    29ks are to be casscaded down to Cork Suburbans once the full new DART fleet are in operation. They'll be rattling about for many a year yet

I would view this as a significant downgrade for Cork. There would be extra capacity but compared to 2600 the 2900 are poor.

They will require significant work plus the floor issues. I think if economic conditions stay positive IE will look to get rid in the mid 2020s.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I would view this as a significant downgrade for Cork. There would be extra capacity but compared to 2600 the 2900 are poor.

They will require significant work plus the floor issues. I think if economic conditions stay positive IE will look to get rid in the mid 2020s.

Highly unlikely as they are intended to get a mid life refurb like the Enterprise and ICRs, as well as other mechanical changes to ensure they'll last.

IE isn't going to get rid of them as they don't have the option of buying new diesel stock as they are significant people movers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

DoctorPan wrote: »
    Highly unlikely as they are intended to get a mid life refurb like the Enterprise and ICRs, as well as other mechanical changes to ensure they'll last.

IE isn't going to get rid of them as they don't have the option of buying new diesel stock as they are significant people movers.

Have they costed this, I don't think the recent ICR/DD mid life refresh can be compared to what the 2900 require.

Advertisement