Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2700s return

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Shn99 wrote: »
    Thought the 2700s were for Limerick?

Wherever they are for, they will free 2800 stock for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ireland trains

But if they use the 2800 in dublin and 2700 In Limerick Limerick will get more trains as there is 10 2 car 2800 and 14 2 car 2700 (including the hybrid)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Limerick doesn't need its full fleet of 2800 units anyway as ICR's appear on the WRC, Shuttle and Waterford routes.

The single car 2700's would be a god send to put an end to sending a 4 coach train to Nenagh each morning when a pair of single coaches would be more than sufficient...

If you put the 2700 in Limerick and Ballina you could pull the ICR's off the WRC and Waterford line and send the 2800's to Dublin

The 2700 was conceived as a regional DMU and is pretty good at that high seating capacity vs 2800, bike racks and fairly economical to run. The 2800 is much better suited to Dublin peak demand, guessing M3 parkway to release ICR's,
    two 6 car sets and split down to a two car off peak shuttle and Longford to replace the 1805 4 car 2900 with 6, thats the entire fleet gone

Net result is not much, we need a big uplift in capacity the ICR centre coaches would be a big start but we need to get rid of the ICR's off suburban services as they are too slow and lack capacity or a major redesign to have a all stop and semi fast timetable on longer suburban routes which itself would be a nightmare to roster to have the right train in the right place

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Limerick doesn't need its full fleet of 2800 units anyway as ICR's appear on the WRC, Shuttle and Waterford routes.

The single car 2700's would be a god send to put an end to sending a 4 coach train to Nenagh each morning when a pair of single coaches would be more than sufficient...

If you put the 2700 in Limerick and Ballina you could pull the ICR's off the WRC and Waterford line and send the 2800's to Dublin

The 2700 was conceived as a regional DMU and is pretty good at that high seating capacity vs 2800, bike racks and fairly economical to run. The 2800 is much better suited to Dublin peak demand, guessing M3 parkway to release ICR's,
    two 6 car sets and split down to a two car off peak shuttle and Longford to replace the 1805 4 car 2900 with 6, thats the entire fleet gone

Net result is not much, we need a big uplift in capacity the ICR centre coaches would be a big start but we need to get rid of the ICR's off suburban services as they are too slow and lack capacity or a major redesign to have a all stop and semi fast timetable on longer suburban routes which itself would be a nightmare to roster to have the right train in the right place

tbh i would class the 2700 as a suburban DMU as well. the original idea for it may have been a regional one but it's definitely more suited to a suburban roll IMO, all though i never used them when they were on suburbans so i don't know how they handled the loads.
    i always thought there were 12 2800 sets? the 2800 class wikipedia article is claiming there are 10 trainsets which checks with your numbers but it's claiming 2 were scrapped which i never heard about?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Will any new rolling stock be delivered in the near future?

• Advertisement

Back in 1996 the 2700 was to be the everything solution to handle all the branch lines (hence the single car sets), Limerick Junction shuttle, Ballina and so on.

The interior is designed for maximum seating whereas the 2800 is really a DART interior with loads of standing space

Demand in Dublin went crazy after the order was placed so they never got beyond Dublin until the 29000 arrived

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pclive wrote: »
    Will any new rolling stock be delivered in the near future?
    No

Even if a tender went out today it would be 2020 before stock arrives.

It's been said only 10 2700 sets will return. There is probably around 6 which require use, possible 7 if you were to remove the ICR off one of the Limerick-Junction shuttle. The others will be spare and they often pop up in Cork over winter.

The ICR on WRC is mostly a stock movement to place sets in Limerick while Waterford is between services so removing it makes no sense based on current schedules.

it's a long shot i know but maybe as the refurbishment goes on they may decide to bring all sets back. unlikely but one can hope. we need as much stock in service as we can get.

it's a long shot i know but maybe as the refurbishment goes on they may decide to bring all sets back. unlikely but one can hope. we need as much stock in service as we can get.

Perhaps but one suspects they carried out an assessment of serviceable sets. From a cost prospective would of been cheaper to issue tenders for the full lot rather than separate ones unless they have a clause in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Has the refurbishment started yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Shn99 wrote: »
    Has the refurbishment started yet?
    I think it has yet to even go to tender so I am not convinced we will see them all in use in 2019. So if we have 10 sets = 20 carriages = 2.5 extra suburban trains for the entire country. Drop in the ocean of what's needed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It's been said only 10 2700 sets will return.

All are to return including the Hybrid set.

Rashers72 wrote: »
    I think it has yet to even go to tender so I am not convinced we will see them all in use in 2019. So if we have 10 sets = 20 carriages = 2.5 extra suburban trains for the entire country. Drop in the ocean of what's needed now.

Went to tender last year, work due to start in Q2 2018 I believe, exploratory work has already been carried out on set 2715/2724 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

GM228 wrote: »
    Went to tender last year, work due to start in Q2 2018 I believe, exploratory work has already been carried out on set 2715/2724 last year.
    To be fair that comment came from the Indo so hardly a newsworthy source. Thanks for the correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

IE gave up on the single cars operating alone last time. Remember then they were spliced onto a 2-car set and repainted to 22000 scheme to make them look like an ICR set?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

dowlingm wrote: »
    IE gave up on the single cars operating alone last time. Remember then they were spliced onto a 2-car set and repainted to 22000 scheme to make them look like an ICR set?

They weren't spliced. Operated as part of a multiple set with another 2 car set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The single cars are approved for use on their own network wide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The main problem with them is that they were too small :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Yes they did operate on their own. But not permitted through Connolly as a single unit due to issues with being detected on the signalling system. That was the only restriction on their operation.

DSCF0023-S.jpg

More pictures of 2751 and 2753 operating on their own and in multi with other sets at https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/search/?q=2750&c=photos#i=0&s=recent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

There was talk on possibly making the 2700s compatible with the 2900s, is there any update on that.

Splitting two 2900 sets and adding two 2700s would make an extra 6 trains if they can be made compatible.

Remember the time a train of 2x2700 sets split? Presumably that is all ancient history now.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=242926

IE 222 wrote: »
    There was talk on possibly making the 2700s compatible with the 2900s, is there any update on that.

Splitting two 2900 sets and adding two 2700s would make an extra 6 trains if they can be made compatible.

Multiple working compatibility is the aim so you can run 27+29 consists but its considered optional

In theory 26+27+28 works already and 27+29 should work from a safety point of view, but the PIS and Passcom PA might not work

29 is spec'ed for 10 coach consist 29+something else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Can platforms cater a 10 car train

IE 222 wrote: »
    Can platforms cater a 10 car train

i think a couple of platforms can. not sure which ones though.

Not many, just Heuston/Connolly and main stations between Newbridge/Cork could handle a 10 car set, it would be over 200m long. Typical size on network is 170-175 which is just bigger than a 8 car 2900.

Off topic but spent the afternoon at a park beside Toronto Union Station eastern approaches, where every 10 minutes or so a GO Transit loco+12 bilevels would roll past - 310m just for the coaches! Because all the trains have selective door opening, they often have "only the rear six coach doors will open at X station" or similar if works are being done or a station hasn't had its platform lengthened yet.

By contrast the VIA Rail trains headed for Montreal and Ottawa were almost all smaller than a Mark 4 set and many of them would have probably been grand with a 4 car 22K - and faster too.

• Advertisement

Multiple working compatibility is the aim so you can run 27+29 consists but its considered optional

In theory 26+27+28 works already and 27+29 should work from a safety point of view, but the PIS and Passcom PA might not work

29 is spec'ed for 10 coach consist 29+something else

2600/2700/2800 multiple working already works and was about to be rubber stamped for normal operation when the decision was taken to withdraw the 2700s.

2700 and 29000 does not work in multiple, this was due to a relay in the 29000s which was not compatible with the other stock and locked out the sets, a mod is either required on the 29000s to make them compatible with all other stock or on the 2700s to make them compatible with 29000s (but no longer with 2600 and 2800).

There was talk of the 2700s being made compatible with the 29000s, but I don't think it will happen.

Advertisement