Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Seamie has been making stupid mistakes like yesterday all year. It's a running joke with my Mayo mates as to how damaging will Seamie's wastefulness cost us on a particular day. It's speed of thought more than anything. He really really cost us yesterday. We had wiped out the goal and got level and he gave it away incredibly cheaply when momentum was with us. We were back a couple down and then he did the exact same thing when we were level again. Criminal at this level and i'd be dropping him for that.

His brother would want to be careful too. That shot on 73 mins was as big a me-me-me moment from a Mayo footballer as i can remember. I would be spitting bile about the O'Shea's today if COC hadnt subsequently stepped up.

I would drop Seamie on account of his wastefulness too. He's always at it and has been generally pretty poor all year, but yesterday was unbelievable at certain points. He always seems to **** up at crucial moments too. He should have been subbed much sooner, imo, and should not start the next day. That said, who replaces him? Barry Moran is not mobile enough, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I watched the game back... Aidan O Shea had a very poor day out,spilled an awful lot of ball inside.Criminally poor option taking that shot on in injury whilst we were chasing the game.We've mentioned ad nauseum the fact he shouldn't be let near frees or sideline balls.Mind boggling decision to take that sideline ball and pump a hail mary inside.Two occasions where keeping possession until we worked a better shooting position was essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

The GAA happy to nail the Mayo supporters in the stands whilst helping the Dublin fairweather supporters who inhabit their spiritual home on Hill-16.

Hill is always cheaper and proper order really.

There were a fair body of "fairweather" Mayo supporters on the hill yesterday so I think you've got that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why is there not any big issue of the fact that there were 7 mins of injury time? Honestly, where do they pluck these numbers out of??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

callaway92 wrote: »
    Why is there not any big issue of the fact that there were 7 mins of injury time? Honestly, where do they pluck these numbers out of??
    30 seconds per sub - 5 minutes.

Other injuries and stoppages - 2 minutes.

Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

callaway92 wrote:

They are giving 30 seconds per sub now it's adding about 6 minutes to the games now minimum

But it's totally wrong. In 35 mins of football there was not even near 7 minutes of stoppages.

But it's totally wrong. In 35 mins of football there was not even near 7 minutes of stoppages.
    The ball is in play for an average of 34 minutes per 70 minute game.

7 minutes of stoppages is a conservative amount of additional time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

The extra time is now judged according to substitutions bookings and misc time wasting etc. With most teams making all there substitutions in the 2nd half you will always have allot more injury time in the 2nd half as opposed to the first. 7 minutes was fair imho.

Mind boggling

We never see this much added time and yet people seem fine with it.

Right

• Advertisement

Mind boggling

Right
    Have you watched any Gaelic Football games this year?

Not trying to be a prick, but a genuine question.

Literally every single match Minor or Senior I have been to this year has had a minimum of 4 minutes added on.

Kerry Minors were 20 points or so ahead of Kildare and the referee still played 7 minutes of injury time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Dublin by 10.

Need to sort out their kick outs though. Mayo should really push up and pressure the kick out, Cluxton once Dublins strong point is now a very obvious weakness. Weather proved a good leveller the last day. Hope Mayo do it but feel their chance is gone, they had every chance to kill that game the last day but just do not have the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

DDC1990 wrote: »

Literally every single match Minor or Senior I have been to this year has had a minimum of 5 minutes added on.

Kerry Minors were 20 points or so ahead of Kildare and the referee still played 7 minutes of injury time.

Yeah don't know how people are cribbing about it, it's the new cool thing in GAA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mind boggling

Right
    Rock took over 2 minutes to take a 45 in the second half. Lane specifically gestured that he was adding the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Does Rock take an awful amount of time for each free?

I remember Maurice Sheridan was clocked at 26 seconds or something from when he put the ball on the ground, but Rock seems to take an eternity!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Rock took over 2 minutes to take a 45 in the second half. Lane specifically gestured that he was adding the time.

Lane should have thrown the ball up for that one . It was ridiculous BUT I turned to my mate and said at the time would it be awful funny if we scored late into a rake of injury time ..........Dublin can have no complaints on the amount of added time .

Will mayo get the home dressing room and warm up in front of the Hill Saturday week? As its a replay id assume that's what the protocol will be

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

Mind boggling

Right

What specifically is your problem with the added time? It was given equally to both teams, on the same pitch with the same ball and ref (but home-field advantage to Dublin. Oops, I was on a good run there)! Was the game not blown up at the opportune time for you to 'hand' Dublin a win? After Mayo made it 12 a piece in the 63min this 'GOAT' Dublin side scored in the 65, 67 and 68 mins to go three up, with Mayo pulling one back at 69mins. Dublin (as with a lot of games over their last few pro years) were finishing as the strongest side.

Maybe the real problem is the 7 minutes from 38 - 45 mins within which Mayo leveled from 5 down, once again showing that Dublin have significant slack periods during big games this championship (that Kerry game slumber is worrying). Maybe you should consider contesting these 7 minutes also!

Or maybe being a point up with 30 seconds to go and one of the best Dublin players (Connolly) on this GOAT team (ergo making him one of the greatest of all time?) fights a team mate to go for glory instead of retaining the ball (which normally Dublin have demonstrated great composure re end game ball retention over last few years).

GOAT team, with the best player giving back possession so stupidly at end game stage - unlike the extra time something here really doesn't add up! Another game this championship in which I'm still not convinced by this Dublin team.

Really looking forward to the replay. Have loved the Dublin Mayo games over the last decade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Gungadin

km79 wrote: »
    Will mayo get the home dressing room and warm up in front of the Hill Saturday week? As its a replay id assume that's what the protocol will be

I believe its done in alphabetical order with the team getting the home advantage plus the hill. Just happens that Ath Cliath trumps Mhaoigh Eo all the time.

Apparently they came up with this idea post 06 'mill on the hill'.
    Another one to keep the conspiracy theorists going.

Gungadin wrote: »
    I believe its done in alphabetical order with the team getting the home advantage plus the hill. Just happens that Ath Cliath trumps Mhaoigh Eo all the time.

I understand that but I would assume for a replay that in the interest of fair play everything would be reversed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I understand that but I would assume for a replay that in the interest of fair play everything would be reversed

It needs a two thirds majority at Congress and has to be proposed by 5 dead Ex Presidents, seconded by 10 Mayomen with All Ireland medals and thirded(is that a word?) by 10 Dubs that know the difference between a bull and a bullock.

I think we have a problem......

I forgot to comment on something actually that was very noticeable again yday.
    There is a great mutual respect amongst both sets of supporters . I had my fill of "up the dubs " by the time I got to the ground alright :D but in the pub before and after and in the stand during there was great respect shown for opposing supporters and most players !
    Great to be part of a day like that
    I can't speak for what it was like on the Hill/Nally but would be hoping it was simailar and see no reason why it wasn't
    Well done all !

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

I keep hearing and reading that "Dublin can't be as bad again". Presumably this means the forwards, because their midfield and defence performed pretty well. Personally, I think their forwards will struggle again.

Mayo's defenders match up very well against them, and I'd expect them to be just as tight next time out. Brogan and Flynn are misfiring in general, McManamon and Connolly were well shackled, Rock was anonymous and Kilkenny is piling up possession stats but doing little with it. Andrews did well initially when he came on, but he was quiet in the second half, Mannion was buzzing around the place but again very little end product. I think Mayo will bring the same intensity if not more in the replay, and I don't see where Dublin's big improvement up front is going to come from.

elguapo wrote: »
    I keep hearing and reading that "Dublin can't be as bad again". Presumably this means the forwards, because their midfield and defence performed pretty well. Personally, I think their forwards will struggle again.

Mayo's defenders match up very well against them, and I'd expect them to be just as tight next time out. Brogan and Flynn are misfiring in general, McManamon and Connolly were well shackled, Rock was anonymous and Kilkenny is piling up possession stats but doing little with it. Andrews did well initially when he came on, but he was quiet in the second half, Mannion was buzzing around the place but again very little end product. I think Mayo will bring the same intensity if not more in the replay, and I don't see where Dublin's big improvement up front is going to come from.

Thats all very true and still Dublin were only 30 seconds from another All Ireland.
    Did Cluxton have to make a save?
    Looking forward to round 2 where winner takes all.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

Thats all very true and still Dublin were only 30 seconds from another All Ireland.
    Did Cluxton have to make a save?
    Looking forward to round 2 where winner takes all.

Dublin could very well win the game, they have a better midfield and excellent backs, but I don't see their forwards doing much more damage than they did yesterday.
    Think Cluxton made one save from an Aidan O'Shea flick on, but in general Dublin were rock solid at the back, serious defensive performance by both teams.

All I would hope for is a marked improvement from the Dublin team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Do you think it really matters?

Do you think it really matters?

Haha no to be honest
    I was half messing :D

DDC1990 wrote: »

Literally every single match Minor or Senior I have been to this year has had a minimum of 4 minutes added on.

Ya I watch a lot in fairness and I think the time added in the final was a farce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Again, what about when they played An Mhi and An Ciarrai this year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement