Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

munster87 wrote: »
    So A player is taken out of it off the ball and can do what they like then because they are not the 'aggressor'

Never said that, but Keegan should have been punished long before that. Everyone paints Connolly to be the bad guy here, but what Keegan did for the entire game was downright scummy, and you're defending him for it for the simple reason that it's Diarmuid Connolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

PARlance wrote: »
    Connolly doesn't need to react but he always will. No reaction, no yellow.

Why wait for the reaction? Why can't a competent referee stop the pathetic baiting and card the first aggressor. Then it's done with.

Barlett wrote: »
    Such nonsense

Are you going to raise a point to back up your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

Faugheen wrote: »
    Never said that, but Keegan should have been punished long before that. Everyone paints Connolly to be the bad guy here, but what Keegan did for the entire game was downright scummy, and you're defending him for it for the simple reason that it's Diarmuid Connolly.

Nope as you say yourself 'never said that'. I don't defend Keegan. If I was reffing I'd have sent him off along with Connolly for throwing punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Oh I understand, but Keegan should have been black-carded 3 times before then.

That's my point. That incident between the two wasn't the only one today, which is something you seem to misunderstand.

You were discussing 1 incident. I replied in relation to that.

3 black cards is some going, even for Leeroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

It is weird how Keegan continues to get away with the stuff he does. Every supporter I talk to (Mayo, Dublin, Galway, wherever) is aware of it. In the build up to the McLoughlin OG, he dragged Connolly down twice. Both instances look like a black card offence to me. But they dont even mention that incident on the Sunday Game despite having a section on the black card! I know that Connolly is not so innocent but I find it bizarre how Keegan constantly manages to get away with this kind of stuff.
    Keegan was actually being held by Connolly for the first goal which stopped Keegan from tracking back to defend and gave space for Dublin to run into the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Are you going to raise a point to back up your claim?
    Ok tell me this...how often do we hear the same conversation about Keegan... yet how many times has he been black carded/sent off? You might not like what he does but its your opinion, doesn't make it right. If he was such a dirty player I would expect to see a lot more red/black cards in the 5 years he's been playing intercounty football

You were discussing 1 incident. I replied in relation to that.

3 black cards is some going, even for Leeroy.

I wasn't talking about one incident, I was talking about Lee Keegan's targetting of Diarmuid Connolly, which took place throughout the entire game over a number of incidents.

And you see I know you're being a smart arse with your second comment, so I'll tell you how it works in simple terms.

He should have got black-carded for the first incident, but he didn't.

He should have got black-carded for the second incident, but once again he didn't.

Then a third time, yep, you guessed it. He should have got black-carded, but he didn't.

That's how 'Leeroy' should have been black-carded three times.
    Ok tell me this...how often do we hear the same conversation about Keegan... yet how many times has he been black carded/sent off? You might not like what he does but its your opinion, doesn't make it right. If he was such a dirty player I would expect to see a lot more red/black cards in the 5 years he's been playing intercounty football

That's the point I'm making, he doesn't get black-carded or sent off. He should be. He gets away with murder.

He should have got black-carded for the second incident, but once again he didn't.

Then a third time, yep, you guessed it. He should have got black-carded, but he didn't.

Pat, is that you?
    That kind of analysis could get RTE interested.

I wasn't talking about one incident, I was talking about Lee Keegan's targetting of Diarmuid Connolly, which took place throughout the entire game over a number of incidents.

And you see I know you're being a smart arse with your second comment, so I'll tell you how it works in simple terms.

That's the point I'm making, he doesn't get black-carded or sent off. He should be. He gets away with murder.

But the reality is, if what he is doing is so bad why does consistently get away with it and eventually you have to go well what's he's doing is bending the rules but that's about it. Referees know to watch out for Keegan as much as they do Connolly but Keegan never really does anything that outrageous in my opinion.

I will say as well, the black card is ultimately a nonsense...nobody knows what is or isn't a black card these days as its completely open to interpretation as referees prove every week

• Advertisement

Pat, is that you?
    That kind of analysis could get RTE interested.

Typical Mayo.

Playing the man and not the ball.

But the reality is, if what he is doing is so bad why does consistently get away with it and eventually you have to go well what's he's doing is bending the rules but that's about it. Referees know to watch out for Keegan as much as they do Connolly but Keegan never really does anything that outrageous in my opinion.

...except admit himself that he provokes players into giving him a reaction. He did exactly that with Connolly. He's admitted it before and he was clearly at it again today, and he's still getting away with it.

Typical Mayo.

Playing the man and not the ball.

Typical Dub, always reacting ;) Yellow for both of us.
    There are better things to be talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Don't understand all the complaints about the ref. He got the Mccarthy call wrong and bottled several black card incidents afterwards but most refs fail to apply the black card properly. Fairly similar to the Tipp v Mayo game when Robbie kiely got an early black. I don't think Lane did a whole lot wrong after that, despite desperate conditions and all the off the ball stuff that was going on. It was a hard game to manage.

Dublin definitely have more room to improve for the replay. You'd wonder if they'd be better off starting with mannion and Andrews instead of Flynn and brogan. The latter have had the whole year to get going but were very quiet again today. It must be frustrating sitting on the bench looking at lads who just aren't performing.

Mayo need to do what they did today but better. Hard to know if they have that in them. They were extremely unlucky with the goals and will be kicking themselves. I'd fear from them in the replay but I hope I'm proven wrong.

I think most people will fancy Dublin from here as it would be unthinkable that they'd be that bad again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mickeyk wrote:
    Dublin definitely have more room to improve for the replay. You'd wonder if they'd be better off starting with mannion and Andrews instead of Flynn and brogan. The latter have had the whole year to get going but were very quiet again today. It must be frustrating sitting on the bench looking at lads who just aren't performing.

I'd go with Mannion and Andrews, Shane B Carthy for Flynn

Typical Dub, always reacting ;) Yellow for both of us.
    There are better things to be talking about.

Nope, not a Dub.

Try again.

...except admit himself that he provokes players into giving him a reaction. He did exactly that with Connolly. He's admitted it before and he was clearly at it again today, and he's still getting away with it.

But as I said, if its so bad why isn't an official doing something about it??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Faugheen wrote:
    Try again.

1) Roscommon
    2) Galway
    3) Westmeath
    4) Meath
    5) Spoofing

But as I said, if its so bad why isn't an official doing something about it??

That's my point!

Officials should be doing something about it!

Stoner wrote: »
    1) Roscommon
    2) Galway
    3) Westmeath
    4) Meath
    5) Spoofing

Again, nope.

Kilkenny. Couldn't be more of a neutral if you tried.

And I'm just going to get the 'what do Kilkenny know about football?' dig in myself before the childish morons around here do it first (not aiming it at anyone in particular, but there's bound to be some around).

• Advertisement

That's my point!

Officials should be doing something about it!

And my point is because they continuously don't, what he's doing isn't that bad. Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd go with Mannion and Andrews, Shane B Carthy for Flynn

How about starting O'Gara? I think he could bring something a little different to the Dublin forward line and his strength could have the potential to unnerve Mayo. What height is O'Gara? That Mayo back line isnt the biggest around.

And my point is because they continuously don't, what he's doing isn't that bad. Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree!

Except you're wrong, but ok.

Getting away with it =/= not doing anything wrong.

Faugheen wrote:
    'what do Kilkenny know about football?'.
    Well he has two senior all Irelands. All is good

Again, nope.

Kilkenny. Couldn't be more of a neutral if you tried.

And I'm just going to get the 'what do Kilkenny know about football?' dig in myself before the childish morons around here do it first (not aiming it at anyone in particular, but there's bound to be some around).

Meow... smart move getting the first dig in though. Leeroy is rubbing off on you :)

Meow... smart move getting the first dig in though. Leeroy is rubbing off on you :)

I like your use of 'meow' considering Kilkenny are the Cats.

And if you want to support scummy play, you do that. As I say, if Mayo concentrated more on playing football instead of trying to get their opponents sent off then they'd be All-Ireland champions right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

How about starting O'Gara? I think he could bring something a little different to the Dublin forward line and his strength could have the potential to unnerve Mayo. What height is O'Gara? That Mayo back line isnt the biggest around.

There's no way O Gara would last 70 mins without getting sent off. You just couldn't start him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Paulzx wrote: »
    There's no way O Gara would last 70 mins without getting sent off. You just couldn't start him

Ok, fair enough. I am getting tired and had overlooked that flaw in his game!

He did little in 17 minutes today but you'd have to give him some ball. I was happy when he came on, he's not right yet imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

JK.BMC wrote: »
    It's a question. Fairly legitimate too.
    And yes, there will be different ref next time

He did fine I thought. Better than the ref of the 1987 all Ireland final if we are comparing refs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement