Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options
1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Robeman wrote: »
    What did Connolly \ Holmes do wrong last year that resulted in their going. At least this year SR monumental error gives an excuse.

I have absolutely no sympathy for RH he fully deserved his humiliation. What goes around comes around.

My sympathy lies with Clarke what did he do to deserve being dropped.

I wonder were these guys on the same side when the coup was underway last year.

Hi Rob, what are you referring to here? I am from another county and didnt hear any negative stuff about him until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

But it will make the one that you win so much more sweeter.

My grandfather was 9 when we last won it. It's not something I'm convinced I'll ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think he just be praised for having the courage to make the call. it didn't work out, by I can definitely see how it could have.

I think Rochford's mistake ref the goalie change was his failure to reverse it at half time when it was already clearly an error.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Robeman wrote: »
    What did Connolly \ Holmes do wrong last year that resulted in their going. At least this year SR monumental error gives an excuse.

They ignored Dublin's kickouts completely for two games and got murdered by them. Pretty basic huge error given Dublin have redefined the kickout over the past decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

some of this thread is bordering on mild defamation of characters at this stage. It is one thing if you can show clear cut proof but effectively insisting players got the manager fired or this "what goes around, comes around"

We all know you are trolling and there is only one way to stop that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Blud wrote: »
    My grandfather was 9 when we last won it. It's not something I'm convinced I'll ever see.
    Blud wrote: »

You never know. Football seasons take many twists & turns. At the moment, I think Dublin will be stronger next year. But after the Galway defeat this year and indeed after the Fermanagh win, I was very very doubtful Mayo would get to a final this year. Maybe things will go awry for Dublin next year. Maybe their 'demise' this year will continue into next year.... Kerry probably are in a transition phase for the next 1 or 2 years. Mayo were better than Tyrone this year. I wouldnt be hugely pessimistic about Mayo doing it next year. Things can change very quickly in football. Remember as well that Mayo had somewhat of a later start than most counties this year with the whole management heave. At the start of the league, there was a real sense that they were a little more disorganised & at sea than other counties. My guess is that they will be far more on the ball from the beginning next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 JMurphy84

washman3 wrote: »
    Cant understand why the Mayo player who clocked Cooper after Keegan's goal got away scot free. Ran at least 5 metres to do it and caught Cooper completely blind-sided. Mean,sneaky and cowardly. Also completely ignored by the 'expert analysists' on the RTE panel.
    Fair enough but James McCarthy cleaned Donie Vaughan out of it 5 minutes before halftime, a really bad challenge. Had to go off at halftime concussed. Missing Keegan and Donie for a half of football was a massive loss, nearly impossible to replace!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mayo need to find about 2 or 3 other forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I would still have Dublin as favourites. But Mayo will be up there again.

Maybe "faves" is a bad word for this thread... perhaps "...team I have a suspicion will win..."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

JMurphy84 wrote: »
    Fair enough but James McCarthy cleaned Donie Vaughan out of it 5 minutes before halftime, a really bad challenge. Had to go off at halftime concussed. Missing Keegan and Donie for a half of football was a massive loss, nearly impossible to replace!

That was a great challenge by McCarthy. No foul but made sure Vaughan got a dose of his own medicine

Vaughan clocked Cooper as he was leaving the pitch on the black and then decided to charge into Connolly just before half time, did'nt seem too concussed then. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

from a neutral point of view and i'll also point out that i'm not a big football fan. I'm a hurling fan.

I enjoyed the game. Dublin were good and congrats to them.
    Mayo have ever reason to be upset with the decision of the Ref.
    Small should have walk for the trip. Black Card. No Question.

Keegan Black card is a Black Card but Connelly reaction. It's was the horrible to watch a GAA player get up and run up to a Ref and wave a imagery card in the ref face.
    Brolly question Cavanagh manhood a few years ago for taking a player out of it in the last min of a game. If Brolly was a man he have the Balls to stand up and highlight Connelly horrible gesture.
    If that was a Mayo Player The Sunday Game would have been all over it.
    As per normal RTE and the Newspaper are afraid to point out anything to show Dublin in a poor light. in case they would get a interview the next time.
    Was at a u-14 game on Sunday morning and saw a young player copy Connelly action. Hard to Blame the young lad. He only copying what he saw the day before in Croke park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

from a neutral point of view and i'll also point out that i'm not a big football fan. I'm a hurling fan.

Keegan Black card is a Black Card but Connelly reaction. It's was the horrible to watch a GAA player get up and run up to a Ref and wave a imagery card in the ref face.
    Brolly question Cavanagh manhood a few years ago for taking a player out of it in the last min of a game. If Brolly was a man he have the Balls to stand up and highlight Connelly horrible gesture.
    As per normal RTE and the Newspaper are afraid to point out anything to show Dublin in a poor light. in case they would get a interview the next time.
    Was at a u-14 game on Sunday morning and saw a young player copy Connelly action. Hard to Blame the young lad. He only copying what he saw the day before in Croke park.

Don't see the issue with the card waving.There's a lot of GAA snobbery around stuff like that and apparently GAA players are supposed to be above that sort of behaviour when really they are no better or worse than any other sportsman and are doing what they can to gain an advantage for their team, that's what you'd expect from any player and it's up to the ref to punish them if they break the rules.

It isn't Diarmuid Connolly's job to be a role model for other peoples children.

Ah yes another neutral.

You should watch more football, Mayo are just short of having whistles around their neck they do so much dictating to refs during a game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bambi wrote:
    You should watch more football, Mayo are just short of having whistles around their neck they do so much dictating to refs during a game.

He watches loads, sure he was at an under 14 match, as a neutral of course, just there for the sport, watching from under his bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I love the ones that start off by declaring "I'm a neutral" in the opening line. They're usually the most biased (sometimes funny) rants of the lot!

Once you've said "I'm a neutral" you can get properly stuck in and nobody will be able to say a thing to you.

It's like when you were a kid and you could pretend to be invisible while getting up to a bit of mischief :D
    (that's if Connolly hasn't already corrupted the fun out of you!!)

I said it at the time and looking back in slow frame I am convinced DC came up behind Donie Vaughan when Mayo were counteracting (just before the mellee) and checked his run by clipping his head. Obviously not determinative but thats what caused Vaughan to go ape£hit at DC and there was no way DC made any effort to avoid him. The head movement does seem pretty conclusive to me.

Its in and about 1:07:00 of the video.

Just seemed pretty malicious in my opinion. And Vaughan was extremely incensed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Keegan Black card is a Black Card but Connelly reaction.********

One thing to say on this....COC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I think the truth is they are better at getting themselves into these positions where they can try control the game. I think that is more their strength than controlling the last few minutes.

I agree with that.

What struck me most over the two games was Dublin kept building leads only to resort to trying to kill the game (cynical fouling, not committing numbers forward, etc.) How many 3 point leads, 4 point leads did they blow? Each time they tried it Mayo seized the initiative and got themselves back into it. Something you'd fully expect a good side to do.

Its an attempt at a balancing act i think. The first ten minutes of Saturdays game reminded of how Dublin used to play. Runners all over the place in attack and man for man defending. They are very good at it. The Donegal defeat has left its mark on this team though and they're wary of playing that way for 70 minutes. The style now is probably a concession to the blanket defence and them trying (emphasis on trying) to exert more control in games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Fair play to Rob Hennelly for what he said today, you'd have to feel a tad sorry for the fella. Every player has the potential to have an off-day and it certainly wasn't his fault that he was thrown in rather unexpectedly.

"I'll never be able to fully describe what was going through my head at this moment. What I was expecting to be one of my best days turned out to be the opposite, and it breaks my heart that I didn't come through for my team and county.

"I told a brilliant young man Anthony Casey that that one game wouldn't define him, and today, and probably for a while to come, I'll be telling myself the same thing. It is not a good place to be, but I know I have to come back from it, I still believe I have something to offer this team and my county, so now is not the time to relent.

"I have to say that the support I've received has been incredible and the messages from friends, family, former team mates, players from other counties, and of course the Mayo supporters, has helped me immensely.

"I don't know where I'll be in a years time, but I do know that I'm not going to give up. I love Mayo and this team too much to do that.

"Mhaigh Eo Abú."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

As the other poster said, when I saw the distancing of yourself from not only the teams but the sport itself I knew a strong blast was coming! Dublin's number 14 really rattles people!

• Advertisement

I said it at the time and looking back in slow frame I am convinced DC came up behind Donie Vaughan when Mayo were counteracting (just before the mellee) and checked his run by clipping his head. Obviously not determinative but thats what caused Vaughan to go ape£hit at DC and there was no way DC made any effort to avoid him. The head movement does seem pretty conclusive to me.

Its in and about 1:07:00 of the video.

Just seemed pretty malicious in my opinion. And Vaughan was extremely incensed

Head contact? Don't be embarassing yourself

Poor wee Donie didn't need a reason to be incensed, he went around snapping at everything and eventually got himself bitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Don't see the issue with the card waving.There's a lot of GAA snobbery around stuff like that and apparently GAA players are supposed to be above that sort of behaviour when really they are no better or worse than any other sportsman and are doing what they can to gain an advantage for their team, that's what you'd expect from any player and it's up to the ref to punish them if they break the rules.

It isn't Diarmuid Connolly's job to be a role model for other peoples children.

To be fair to the guy, it wasn't pretty watching Connolly.

But then its not pretty watching constant off the ball fouling either.

And to be fair to Connolly, in previous games he reacted to Keegan by swinging at him, and got punished for it.

This time he reacted by going straight to the ref, and got rewarded for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If anyone thinks that pulling a player back down on top of you that is trying to get up off you 3 times and then putting your hands out in the air as if you never did a thing is an example of a good footballer then you need your head examined.

There is nothing cute about it or tactical, its just moronic. Get up and let your footballing do the talking none of this absolute nonsense.

The hands out thing after committing these fouls is worse than strikers falling over in the box on purpose

Bambi wrote: »
    Head contact? Don't be embarassing yourself

Poor wee Donie didn't need a reason to be incensed, he went around snapping at everything and eventually got himself bitten.

there was head contact. perhaps actually watch it. Quiet clear their heads touched in some way. You can defend the intention but it is pretty clear there was head contact.

I think what p1ssed vaughan off was the way DC went down and straight away looked across appealling to the referee for a foul even though it was DC who through his shoulder in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

there was head contact. perhaps actually watch it. Quiet clear their heads touched. You can defend the intention but it is pretty clear there was head contact.

There was no head contact, thats a shoulder.

Utter drivel Zzzzz

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Christ sake, I am saying what I see and you are saying what you see. Why would I want to see anything. I have never been one of these people with an agenda against Connolly. Put whatever narrative you want on it.

Watch it on a full screen and in a slower frame and (maybe) you might agree. Whether you do or not I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Gas to hear your man "I'm a hurling fan" getting on his high horse about Dublin and Mayo footballers.

Good few hurling finals were decided by players being split open. Was famous incident in 1953 or thereabouts involving St. Nicholas Ring. Wexford had to bate the sh1te all round them to win in 50s.

Lot of nonsense all this sanctimonious cr@p.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement