Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Faugheen wrote: »
    Except you're wrong, but ok.

Getting away with it =/= not doing anything wrong.

Indeed, the point you are making us why does he get away with it. I dint understand how the response is "he has for ages*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Lee Keegan gets away with murder, rewatching the game now, and he takes Connolly down in a headlock in the buildup to the first goal. The fact is that what makes him a good defender is playing on the lines and getting away with it. Longer term I do see him as a liability for Mayo. But us Dubs can't be too precious when we have Philly Mac! :-\

To be honest i think the ref did well, overall consistent, and considering the conditions and the teams that showed up. Everyone is a bit wrapped up in questions like MacAuley.. if it was a black then it would have been substituted, but sure he was taken off a few minutes later! The biggest lesson of all is that most of the crowd (and commentators) need to sit down and read the rules!

A lot of players seemed spooked out there, unsurprising given the pace and wet conditions. There were a true lack of leaders, particularly when it came to choosing the shot when attacking. I do think Mayo should have won, and to be honest would have if they had an ounce more composure (Not sure why Evan Regan came on, he seemed to be a terrier bulling for a fight!). Dublin made opportunities but needed lots of help converting, the usual key players did not show.. Did Brogan justify his place for the replay?
    Both teams have shown their hands, Mayo should return with belief - Dublin with a kick up the ar*e!

As an aside I personally think the referee should have thrown in the ball when Mayo did their subtle mind game thing at the start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Brogan should be dropped. FF line Rock, Connolly, Andrews; halfs ; Mannion, Flynn, O'Gara, Need to up the fkn ante. Bernie has been great player but teams have him sussed. Only time forwards looked dangerous = Hill view = was when Mannion had the ball and Andrews was roving about.

Mayo have changed their way of doing things. If Dublin don't its curtains.

Thought he made some very curious changes. Killenny into half back for Jamsie! No. He's not a half back and it looked like they were setting up to defend a five point lead at half time.

To quote Reginald Perrin "I didn't get where I am today....." and so on. Caution is good. Erring too much on the side of caution is potentially disaster,

Got out of jail today.

"Oh, they'll never be that bad again" is a lot of bollix.

But they know that.We not spent 40 fkn years watching men in blue jerseys knowing that they won't go down with their boots on.

COYBIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Having watched the Sunday Game, what chance do referees have, when pundits like Dessie Dolan who doesn't seem to know the black card rule, gets free reign to criticise all their decisions.

1) James McCarthy: McCarthy clearly and deliberately runs at Cillian O'Connor and body checks him. All this talk about this being a mans game, or how harsh it is to send a guy off for that so early in an All Ireland Final is bull****. It's a textbook black card. McCarthy could have easily changed his line to avoid O'Connor. Also, the referee did not make this call. It was the linesman after the event had happened.

2) Aidan O'Shea: This was an interesting one in tht it happened right in front of the referee and it looked really similar to the McCarthy one. There is no clear view of where O'Shea made contact. If it was shoulder to shoulder the yellow card is the correct call. If it was in the chest, for me that constitutes a deliberate body check and O'Shea should have got black.

3) MDMA: The word deliberate is really important in the rule. The Sunday Game zoomed in on the foot contact last night, but McAuley was looking straight ahead. At the match I thought nothing of the challenge, it just seemed clumsy. Maybe he was doing a Darragh Ã႒“ SÃ႒© sort of challenge, deliberatly clumsy. Not a black for me regardless of a hand or foot trip, I didn't think it was deliberate.

4) Connolly: Never a black card. Pulled the man, let go, then the man went to ground. A jersey pull that's all.

5) O'Connor: Much closer to being black then Connolly for a similar foul. Again a jersey pull, but he held on to the jersey as he was pulling him down. He let go before the Dublin player came to ground, but it was close. On first viewing I would have given black, but after seeing the replays, I think the referee made the right call.

Now that's not to say the referee got everything right. The free given on David Clarke after he won the ball from Rock was crazy. There were several fouls on Aidan O'Shea not called in the first half. He missed a number of pushes in the back on both sides and let defenders get away with murder at both ends of the field.

Like Gough in the Semi Final he 'let the game flow' which essentially means, he was extremely selective and inconsistant in what he gave frees for. But that's what is wanted in modern football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I was sure the the McCarthy black card was harsh at first, because it was such a brainless move I thought it had to be an accident.

On seeing the replays it was a blatant black card, and completely needless. Just a moment of sheer stupidity.

Other than that, thought the Mcmanamon yellow was very harsh, MDM could have received a black card (but I'd need to see it again to be sure it was intentional, so hard to blame the referee too much) and Cillian O Connor should have had a black card for sure. Thought the referee did fine overall; like with the players, it's a hard job in such bad conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Grudaire wrote: »
    Lee Keegan gets away with murder, rewatching the game now, and he takes Connolly down in a headlock in the buildup to the first goal. The fact is that what makes him a good defender is playing on the lines and getting away with it. Longer term I do see him as a liability for Mayo. But us Dubs can't be too precious when we have Philly Mac! :-\

To be honest i think the ref did well, overall consistent, and considering the conditions and the teams that showed up. Everyone is a bit wrapped up in questions like MacAuley.. if it was a black then it would have been substituted, but sure he was taken off a few minutes later! The biggest lesson of all is that most of the crowd (and commentators) need to sit down and read the rules!

A lot of players seemed spooked out there, unsurprising given the pace and wet conditions. There were a true lack of leaders, particularly when it came to choosing the shot when attacking. I do think Mayo should have won, and to be honest would have if they had an ounce more composure (Not sure why Evan Regan came on, he seemed to be a terrier bulling for a fight!). Dublin made opportunities but needed lots of help converting, the usual key players did not show.. Did Brogan justify his place for the replay?
    Both teams have shown their hands, Mayo should return with belief - Dublin with a kick up the ar*e!

As an aside I personally think the referee should have thrown in the ball when Mayo did their subtle mind game thing at the start :)

Connolly boxed Keegan in the face.. and you think Keegan gets away with murder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Except you're wrong, but ok.

Getting away with it =/= not doing anything wrong.

An opinion can't be wrong...as I said if he's so bad where is the evidence of referees taking action? I mean on this basis you can label anyone dirty because that's your opinion. I'd be inclined to label players dirty who are regularly sent off/ black carded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

When are tickets going on sale?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Tsipras wrote: »

Will we just ignore the three times Keegan took him out off the ball and then ripping Connolly's jersey and refusing to let go of it?

The point of all this is if Keegan is stopped early on by the referee then he doesn't get a box to the face.

Why is Keegan allowed to do what he does? Because he's not striking someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Will we just ignore the three times Keegan took him out off the ball and then ripping Connolly's jersey and refusing to let go of it?

The point of all this is if Keegan is stopped early on by the referee then he doesn't get a box to the face.

Looked to me like Connolly was doing the ripping. Connolly blocked Keegans runs yesterday aswell. There are two of them at it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Well you need to watch it again, because Connolly's jersey is already well ripped by the time he tried to do it to Keegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Chesty08 wrote: »
    When are tickets going on sale?

Won't be going on general sale.
    Available through clubs, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Well you need to watch it again, because Connolly's jersey is already well ripped by the time he tried to do it to Keegan.

I am surprised that there hasn't been more comment on here about the quality of the Dublin jersey.

At least three of them got ripped yesterday just by Dublin players falling over their bootlaces:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pulling jerseys = the root of all evil

Punch in the face = perfectly fine :pac:

Tsipras wrote: »

More like a push to the face. :pac:

But listen when some people here think Connolly was the one pulling the jersey (rather than trying to break free having already had his jersey torn to pieces) there's clearly tinted glasses affecting what people see.

Mayo came to rile Dublin, and played very close to the line. Neither side should act precious about the game today, an exhibition of football it was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    PressRun wrote: »
    Had no issues with the ref apart from MDMA's neck breaking tackle on Cillian O'Connor, which he should have had more than a yellow for. Other than that, I think he did well and got the calls right. For a first time all Ireland final ref, I think he had a great show.

Is that you Conor?
    No I think its Lee?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Mayo by 4 in the replay. Dublin couldnt deal with the intensity brought yesterday and there will be the same and more coming on Saturday week. No player from one of "GAA's greatest ever teams" not scoring for the first 30 odd mins of an all ireland final? Rochford and the Mayo management did a total tactical number on the Dubs yesterday. Very proud of the sheer bloodymindedness of the Mayo team yesterday - two unbelievable pieces of bad luck and they never stopped battling. Great performance.

"Unbelievable scenes"

"the GAA should ensure it doesn't happen at the replay"

"won't someone think of the children"

"everyone should be sent off BEFORE the game"

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/dublin-mayo-tunnel/346588

blackwhite wrote: »
    Pulling jerseys = the root of all evil

Punch in the face = perfectly fine :pac:

Ha ha exactly. Connolly clearly throwing punches at Keegan. There was a reason Keith Higgins etc ran over. The look on Higgins' face was priceless. It was like "what are you at you complete psycho?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Grudaire wrote: »
    More like a push to the face. :pac:

But listen when some people here think Connolly was the one pulling the jersey (rather than trying to break free having already had his jersey torn to pieces) there's clearly tinted glasses affecting what people see.

Mayo came to rile Dublin, and played very close to the line. Neither side should act precious about the game today, an exhibition of football it was not.

Saw the clip on the SG last night, angle from behind the goal. After the attack breaks down Keegan pushes Connolly initially (small shove) then Connolly grabs Keegans jersey then Keegan grabs Connollys jersey then both of them act like
    small children.

Not sure what to do in an instance like that, BC both ? YC both? its pretty childish macho crap to be going on with from both of them, but it looks terrible.

No punches as such thrown but Connolly puts his hand to Keegans face, which is a silly thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Reduction in price of tickets for the replay.:)

Stands 60 euro

Hill 16 30 euro

That doesn't make it right. It's scummy behaviour and this Mayo team is all about it. They're constantly trying to get opposition players sent off and that's why I hope they get their arse handed to them on Saturday week.

No it's not right but it most certainly is'nt what the team are all about.You would imagine all other teams are sweetness and kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I reckon baring injuries Gavin will make 2 changes for sat week. Bastick will come in fo mdm and PA will replace KM.

As for Rochford, I've given up trying to predict what he'll do. Which is the first time I can say that about a Mayo manager in a long time.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I reckon baring injuries Gavin will make 2 changes for sat week. Bastick will come in fo mdm and PA will replace KM.

As for Rochford, I've given up trying to predict what he'll do. Which is the first time I can say that about a Mayo manager in a long time.

I think Gavin's ruthlessness will trump loyalty and he'll drop Brogan and Flynn..Andrews and Mannion in.But he'll make the changes before the throw in.I'd be happier if he went with an unchanged team.

Seamus O Shea might be in danger of losing his starting spot but McAuley/Fenton are so mobile.So Barry Moran may not be mobile enough to put in beside Tom Parsons,definitely won't have the staying power..Donal Vaughan?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seligehgit wrote: »
    I think Gavin's ruthlessness will trump loyalty and he'll drop Brogan and Flynn..Andrews and Mannion in.But he'll make the changes before the throw in.I'd be happier if he went with an unchanged team.

Seamus O Shea might be in danger of losing his starting spot but McAuley/Fenton are so mobile.So Barry Moran may not be mobile enough to put in beside Tom Parsons,definitely won't have the staying power..Donal Vaughan?

Vuaghan to midfield and Barrett in from the start would be the obvious change? I wouldn't change the team though, he deserves another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Flynn hasn't been great all year, so would certainly say he could left out.
    but McManaman and Brogan also vulnerable.

Mayo will most likely be unchanged, they'll be hoping it for just an off day for the O'Shea brothers as they are still key men for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Reduction in price of tickets for the replay.:)

Stands 60 euro

Hill 16 30 euro

Yes the GAA give another hand-out to Dublin GAA by deliberately pricing the Hill-16 tickets lower and the stand tickets higher, Dublin Fans in Hill-16 stand to gain the most from this. In the Three Hurling Replays of 2012-2014 the Stand and Hill-16 tickets were each priced at €50. The GAA happy to nail the Mayo supporters in the stands whilst helping the Dublin fairweather supporters who inhabit their spiritual home on Hill-16.

PARlance wrote: »
    Vuaghan to midfield and Barrett in from the start would be the obvious change? I wouldn't change the team though, he deserves another chance.

Seamie has been making stupid mistakes like yesterday all year. It's a running joke with my Mayo mates as to how damaging will Seamie's wastefulness cost us on a particular day. It's speed of thought more than anything. He really really cost us yesterday. We had wiped out the goal and got level and he gave it away incredibly cheaply when momentum was with us. We were back a couple down and then he did the exact same thing when we were level again. Criminal at this level and i'd be dropping him for that.

His brother would want to be careful too. That shot on 73 mins was as big a me-me-me moment from a Mayo footballer as i can remember. I would be spitting bile about the O'Shea's today if COC hadnt subsequently stepped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rwald7

Yes the GAA give another hand-out to Dublin GAA by deliberately pricing the Hill-16 tickets lower and the stand tickets higher, Dublin Fans in Hill-16 stand to gain the most from this. In the Three Hurling Replays of 2012-2014 the Stand and Hill-16 tickets were each priced at €50. The GAA happy to nail the Mayo supporters in the stands whilst helping the Dublin fairweather supporters who inhabit their spiritual home on Hill-16.

Not true. For the recent hurling replays the tickets were priced at €50 for stand, €25 for terrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Gungadin

Not everyone on the hill is from Dublin. Not everyone in the stands are from Mayo.
    If you don't want the ticket give it to Michelle Mulhearn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement