Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Hopefully Maurice Deegan. Best ref in country

Id prefer Eddie Kinsella. Think paudie Hughes could be due one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

On McCarthy's black, probably right but COC put his hands up too.

And AOS did cooper off the ball, and only a yellow?? And about his 9th foul too. Gets away with a serious amount because he's a "big man".

MDMA possibly more than a yellow but won the ball and off the ball so yellow possibly fair. Mayo man got off a black dragging a dub to the ground not long after too so even enough.

Disgrace that Dermo keeps being targeted. Lee Keegan starts on him yet both get yellows. Madness. One man starts it's. One responds while his shirt is ripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

MDMA could have had 4 or 5 cards today! Very lucky

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

PressRun wrote: »
    Had no issues with the ref apart from MDMA's neck breaking tackle on Cillian O'Connor, which he should have had more than a yellow for. Other than that, I think he did well and got the calls right. For a first time all Ireland final ref, I think he had a great show.

Poor Cillian. Is he paralysed, do you know? Or was it not a neck-breaking tackle, then? Maybe he was concussed, which might explain why he committed a textbook black card offence pulling down a Dublin player towards the end...

Will a referee ever address the targeting of Diarmuid Connolly? Shirt ripped off him. If a ref makes right decision he has no need to try to fight his corner.

• Advertisement

Will a referee ever address the targeting of Diarmuid Connolly? Shirt ripped off him. If a ref makes right decision he has no need to try to fight his corner.

Slaps were throw by himself and Keegan. Not much to it. Gave as much as he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They were both at it. You'd swear Connolly was some poor innocent sweetheart.

As for targeting... He was marked by the close to the best man marker in the game. It's not targeting whatever that's supposed to mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

kala85 wrote: »
    Id prefer Eddie Kinsella. Think paudie Hughes could be due one

Paudie Hughes from Armagh would be an obvious choice as an Ulsterman considering todays Ref was representing Cork and Munster. My money would be on Joe McQuillan once again as a "Cavan" man.

On McCarthy's black, probably right but COC put his hands up too.

And AOS did cooper off the ball, and only a yellow?? And about his 9th foul too. Gets away with a serious amount because he's a "big man".

Oddly enough AOS gets very little exactly because he's a big man. But he was ill-disciplined. Mayo would be served better with him focusing on football.

He didn't get a black card for body checking Cooper because it didn't interfere with play. McCarthy on the other hand took a player out during play. Slight technical difference.

Problem I have with the Connolly incident is that one man starts it, and both get booked. Only problem with it.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Oddly enough AOS gets very little exactly because he's a big man. But he was ill-disciplined. Mayo would be served better with him focusing on football.

He didn't get a black card for body checking Cooper because it didn't interfere with play. McCarthy on the other hand took a player out during play. Slight technical difference.

I was thinkin that. Is there a difference between off the ball in play and off the ball while balls dead.

Nearly happy to see AOS play on. Very poor today. Is he at peak of fitness??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Hard to understand. Just needs a ref to stand up and havs the balls to take action against Keegan

I was thinkin that. Is there a difference between off the ball in play and off the ball while balls dead.

Nearly happy to see AOS play on. Very poor today. Is he at peak of fitness??

Off the ball is foul play and is either a ticking or a yellow/red card. Don't think there is a huge difference between in play and not in play.

Black card is for deliberate and cynical fouls that affect play.

That or telling the ref he's a boll0cks.. :)

Not sure that that one is enforced too rigidly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Great you saw that so clearly. Would love to know what you think of the 4 occasions caught on camera of Keegan blocking Connolly off the ball?

or even to comment on one of them occasions, and why no black card was issued?

I am assuming you watched the whole match.
    People were saying that the McCarthy incident wasn't a black card. I disagreed and wondered why people were insisting that that particular one was a wrong decision. Not sure why you're getting all defensive.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

lawred2 wrote: »
    They were both at it. You'd swear Connolly was some poor innocent sweetheart.

As for targeting... He was marked by the close to the best man marker in the game. It's not targeting whatever that's supposed to mean.

Connolly is far from a sweetheart.

And Lee Keegan has admitted to provoking Connolly before. So yes, that is targetting.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Connolly is far from a sweetheart.

And Lee Keegan has admitted to provoking Connolly before. So yes, that is targetting.

Every team in the country will target a fella that can't keep his cool, obviously

munster87 wrote: »
    Every team in the country will target a fella that can't keep his cool, obviously

That doesn't make it right. It's scummy behaviour and this Mayo team is all about it. They're constantly trying to get opposition players sent off and that's why I hope they get their arse handed to them on Saturday week.

That doesn't make it right. It's scummy behaviour and this Mayo team is all about it. They're constantly trying to get opposition players sent off and that's why I hope they get their arse handed to them on Saturday week.

No it's not right but as I say every team will do it when a player is easily provoked. It's up to the player to show he is above this and not rise to the bait every single time.

No it's not right but as I say every team will do it when a player is easily provoked. It's up to the player to show he is above this and not rise to the bait every single time.

Why isn't the aggressor booked when he's clearly dragging, pulling the forward? Connolly's jersey is ripped off him, why should he have to be the bigger man, why can't the officials spot the first indiscretion?

It's also up to the referees to stop this provocation in the first place. They can see it going on.

Watch the hurling final a couple of weeks ago. Two teams with as strong a rivalry as any other in the GAA facing off in a battle of skill, determination and hard-work.

Mayo don't do that. They try to bully, intimidate and provoke the opposition into doing something and then dive and cry about it when someone runs into them.

They are not a mark of what GAA champions should be and it really surprises me how much people outside of Mayo want them to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Why isn't the aggressor booked when he's clearly dragging, pulling the forward? Connolly's jersey is ripped off him, why should he have to be the bigger man, why can't the officials spot the first indiscretion?

Connolly doesn't need to react but he always will. No reaction, no yellow.

PARlance wrote: »
    Connolly doesn't need to react but he always will. No reaction, no yellow.

Then what happens to Keegan? He continues to get away with it, and he'll continue to do it.

Stop making excuses for Keegan.

Then what happens to Keegan? He continues to get away with it, and he'll continue to do it.

Connolly threw two punches/slaps to the face. Stop making excuses for him too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It is weird how Keegan continues to get away with the stuff he does. Every supporter I talk to (Mayo, Dublin, Galway, wherever) is aware of it. In the build up to the McLoughlin OG, he dragged Connolly down twice. Both instances look like a black card offence to me. But they dont even mention that incident on the Sunday Game despite having a section on the black card! I know that Connolly is not so innocent but I find it bizarre how Keegan constantly manages to get away with this kind of stuff.

Connolly threw two punches/slaps to the face. Stop making excuses for him too?

Because Keegan had taken him out off the ball three times, has admitted to doing whatever it takes to stop him in the past, and ripped his shirt.

Keegan's the aggressor, not Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Keegan gets booked too. It's really not that hard to understand.

Because Keegan had taken him out off the ball three times, has admitted to doing whatever it takes to stop him in the past, and ripped his shirt.

Keegan's the aggressor, not Connolly.

So A player is taken out of it off the ball and can do what they like then because they are not the 'aggressor'

PARlance wrote: »
    Keegan gets booked too. It's really not that hard to understand.

Oh I understand, but Keegan should have been black-carded 3 times before then.

That's my point. That incident between the two wasn't the only one today, which is something you seem to misunderstand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Such nonsense

• Advertisement

Oh I understand, but Keegan should have been black-carded 3 times before then.

That's my point. That incident between the two wasn't the only one today, which is something you seem to misunderstand.

Ref was poor on both sides. MDMC got away with an ankle tap sort of tackle too. Thought overall it balanced out over the course of the match

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement