Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Galvins Dunnes gear.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had a read of the Indo article just there. This gem really sticks out
    Penny Lane and the bog

When I was around 10 years old, I fell into a bog hole near my house. I remember it vividly. My friend Patrick helped me out, and as he laughed I remember my jeans sticking to me and being pissed off that the Velcro straps on my New Balance trainers wouldn't stick anymore. Though we later moved over the road, I've always felt a strong attachment to Penny Lane, the bog road I grew up on. I feel like I literally came out of the bog. My Spring '18 story is called Bogman, and in it there's a pair of bogwash denim jeans inspired by that memory of falling into the bog hole. Memories and vision are first cousins. One is definitely related to the other. For better or worse.

A pair of jeans inspired by falling into a bog hole, you literally could not make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Galvin is a man who reached the very pinnacle of his sport. He was also a fine hurler, as an aside. He is now forging out a career as the name behind a fashion brand that must be selling, as it has been causing indignation on sites like this for a few years.

He's a year older than myself, and seems to be taking a lead in trying to get men his age to dress in a way that isn't the usual old thrown together ensemble that so many Irishmen feel is 'grand'. I have noticed that younger men in Ireland are taking pride in their appearance, and this must be commended. It doesn't take an inordinate amount of time, money, or effort, but will make an enormous difference to how you present yourself to the world.

If you are in your 30's, and still wearing baggy jeans, music or computer game tshirts, hoodies etc, then you're doing yourself absolutely no favours. Smart casual means casual, but it also means smart. Grunge era 1993 isn't a good look for the modern gent.

So the the answer to baggy jeans and Tshirts is to dress like some cross between Mumford and Sons, a sockless hipster and an Edwardian farm labourer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Everyone is getting very arsey about what AvB had to say. The guy is just having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Galvin is a man who reached the very pinnacle of his sport. He was also a fine hurler, as an aside. He is now forging out a career as the name behind a fashion brand that must be selling, as it has been causing indignation on sites like this for a few years.

He's a year older than myself, and seems to be taking a lead in trying to get men his age to dress in a way that isn't the usual old thrown together ensemble that so many Irishmen feel is 'grand'. I have noticed that younger men in Ireland are taking pride in their appearance, and this must be commended. It doesn't take an inordinate amount of time, money, or effort, but will make an enormous difference to how you present yourself to the world. 

If you are in your 30's, and still wearing baggy jeans, music or computer game tshirts, hoodies etc, then you're doing yourself absolutely no favours. Smart casual means casual, but it also means smart. Grunge era 1993 isn't a good look for the modern gent.

His clothes are a good identifier to indicate when someone is a cnut so I'm all for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

No, the answer isn't to dress like a cross between an Edwardian farm labourer and a sockless hipster. I don't think anyone has suggested that.The majority of Irishmen should just take more time in thinking about their appearance. The minority already do so.

This isn't exclusive to Ireland; you will see men from the former East Germany (Leipzig etc) dressed in what looks like what their Father wore when the wall was torn down. Lots of throwing on denin just for the sake of it.

I was at a funeral in Galway recently, and you couldn't help but notice the difference between the older generation of men, the younger generation of man, and that 'lost generation' in between. The older men were wearing suits that suited their shape, age and style. The younger men were wearing a different cut of suit, but were still formally dressed for the occasion. It was the 30-50 year olds who were an absolute disgrace. Turning up to a removal wearing awful jeans, tatty shoes; hoodies, bad shirts, or jumpers. Even my partner (German) noticed it. 

Whilst I don't agree with Galvin's perspective on fashion; I have to commend his ability to actually have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,364 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was at a funeral in Galway recently, and you couldn't help but notice the difference between the older generation of men, the younger generation of man, and that 'lost generation' in between. The older men were wearing suits that suited their shape, age and style. The younger men were wearing a different cut of suit, but were still formally dressed for the occasion. It was the 30-50 year olds who were an absolute disgrace. Turning up to a removal wearing awful jeans, tatty shoes; hoodies, bad shirts, or jumpers. Even my partner (German) noticed it. 

People who regularly attend funerals attend funerals often dress casually they generally just go in and shake hands with the family and head off home. I think people who get overly dressed up for funerals look really out of place!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Whilst I don't agree with Galvin's perspective on fashion; I have to commend his ability to actually have one.

As much as it might hurt you to try to comprehend this, but not being unduly concerned about sartorial matters does also qualify as a perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

PL1425390Paul%20Galvin%20Tweed.jpg

LOL

My face is sore from laughing at that picture.
    Feckin eejit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Funniest thread I've read in a while, his story about falling into a hole has me in stitches.
    The Indo should give this lad a weekly column.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 techno_radio

at the end of the day people critcizing the artist are only a shower of begrudgers,

up galvin , up tralee, up kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Can anyone explain why his shoes are undone?? I saw some fool the other day with the same thing, is it 'style'?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably another hipster thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,364 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

nkav86 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why his shoes are undone?? I saw some fool the other day with the same thing, is it 'style?

Everything is to tight to bend down to tie them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

LOL

Like a character from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe:

latest?cb=20120719143557

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

LOL

How did he play football with such an odd body ? He has stumpy little legs - how could he generate any kind of speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Funniest thread I've read in a while, his story about falling into a hole has me in stitches.
    The Indo should give this lad a weekly column.

Didnt he have a column at some stage entitled "out of the closet" ?
    (all puns/jokes were intentional from what I remember)

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It could be a lot worse in fairness, he could be promoting bootcut jeans, brown loafers and those shirts you see farmer types wearing, like this awful thing that is unfortunately all too common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Dunno how dunnes bought into this at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

awec wrote: »
    It could be a lot worse in fairness, he could be promoting bootcut jeans, brown loafers and those shirts you see farmer types wearing, like this awful thing that is unfortunately all too common.

Classic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He is a bit touched and like Davy Fitz thinks the world evolves around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Jobs OXO wrote: »

Galvin's duster throwing skills are in line with Dunnes' junior management training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

How did he play football with such an odd body ? He has stumpy little legs - how could he generate any kind of speed?

low center of gravity, difficult to knock him over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

nkav86 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why his shoes are undone?? I saw some fool the other day with the same thing, is it 'style'?

It's pronounced "schtyle" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

Because it makes them truck loads of money.

Gal in is just another pawn in their business .

They will use him for as long as it's worth their while and then discard him and his designs, never to be heard of again .

It's a well rehearsed and proven business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Allinall wrote:
    They will use him for as long as it's worth their while and then discard him and his designs, never to be heard of again .

Allinall wrote:
    It's a well rehearsed and proven business model.

Galvin is one of the long line of Kerry footballers to design clothes for Dunnes alright.

Who can forget Bomber Liston's 1984 Spring collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I occasionally buy food in Dunnes,but I never buy clothes there anymore.They have gone too elitist with all the overpriced Costelloe,Harrington and Galvin stuff,something I have no interest in buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I had a look at the webpage and the designs. I respect the man for following his passion and
    taking a chance and making it work. That said his designs aren't anything I'd wear for a bet
    and that's not taking a cheap shot. It's unimaginative and a bit styleless. A bomber jacket,
    a pair of jeans with a zip, a checked shirt, t-shirts ....it's looks like the work of a transition year student
    who stayed up to get it done the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

awec wrote: »

that picture just looks like a farmer who bought a couple of sizes too small for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

LOL

He looks like some fella who's been on the serious session at the puck fair and has been caught short while walking the 40 miles home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

I love the new brown suit in his range and there is a new check jacket I like as well

Advertisement