Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Galvins Dunnes gear.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Classic thread on the Paul Galvin collection:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057528222

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

NIMAN wrote: »

I don't understand his crotch in this picture. It makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

biko wrote: »
    Paul looks awful young
    http://www.dunnesstores.com/cdn/paul-galvin/

and no, I don't play to buy anything just because he fronts it.
    Lads that buy stuff just because Beckham, McGregor etc wore it are just sheep.

That's not Samuel Beckett either!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

The problem with Galvin is to pull off most of his looks* you need to a 150 pound 6 foot pretty boy, or David Gandy(who wouldn't wear this **** anyway) Galvin just doesn't have the looks to pull off the ****e he's wearing. He just looks very try hard.

*Nobody could save that abomination from the first page

This is grand, a man shouldn't care about pushing boundaries with how they dress, just normal is best.

http://cdn-03.independent.ie/incoming/article30778558.ece/5cac3/AUTOCROP/w620/BOOK%20AWARDS%20%202890282010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Give the guy a chance!

I don't buy his clothes but I do admire his ambition.

Up until recently it would be seen as very odd to be both a GAA player and into fashion. He chose to go against the grain and follow his passion into clothes.

We should encourage more young people to be so ambitious. Outside ireland, following your dream is actually encouraged!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

"Paul Galvan dropped crotch joggers", sounds like a venereal disease.

Spluttered my tea all over the keyboard with that one, dam you jimmy blevins :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

He looks like a blind guy that's been dressed by his friends in a rather cruel prank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Paul looks awful young
    http://www.dunnesstores.com/cdn/paul-galvin/

and no, I don't play to buy anything just because he fronts it.
    Lads that buy stuff just because Beckham, McGregor etc wore it are just sheep.

TBH though you see Beckham, Tyler Kitsch,Efron etc. wear something you'd be inclined to think hey that might look good. I can't see people thinking the same of Galvin, no disrespect to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The fashion conscious probably won't be shopping in Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Give the guy a chance!

I don't buy his clothes but I do admire his ambition.

Up until recently it would be seen as very odd to be both a GAA player and into fashion. He chose to go against the grain and follow his passion into clothes.

We should encourage more young people to be so ambitious. Outside ireland, following your dream is actually encouraged!

This isn't about begrudgery, it's about a bad clothing line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

sabat wrote: »
    Had a look at the range there; the model looks like the local 'cool lad' from some sh1t country town circa 1988 who hangs around outside the chipper selling 5-spots.

http://m.dunnesstores.com/view-all/paul-galvin/fcp-category/list

Pretty boring range.
    Doesn't bode well for the average man either that the models have the build of a 9-year old girl.

smash wrote: »
    That's not Samuel Beckett either!

What does the Beckett quote even mean in this context?

"We are all born mad, some remain so."

Okay... Maybe they're trying to imply that you'd need to be mentally unwell to wear Paul Galvin. Maybe it's a desperate appeal to Beckettian boy-intellectuals, whom I wouldn't have thought are Dunne's target market. Just has no context at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    He looks like a blind guy that's been dressed by his friends in a rather cruel prank.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

glued wrote: »
    Not a fan of his gear but wouldn't begrudge him for it.

Any critical appraisal of anything or anyone Irish attracts this 'begrudgery' tag. It's really lame at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Okay... Maybe they're trying to imply that you'd need to be mentally unwell to wear Paul Galvin. Maybe it's a desperate appeal to Beckettian boy-intellectuals, whom I wouldn't have thought are Dunne's target market. Just has no context at all.

Have a glass of Prosecco.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That model looks like he is a vampire ,he could do with getting some sunshine

Ah Dunnes Stores, the unapologetic supporters of apartheid. Lest we ever forget the thuggery of that family and its then CEO who now attempts to make himself affable on Irish radio.

Boycott (still).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That picture is just retina scorching. Just about everything is wrong with it, it looks like someone has photoshopped, at random, three different people into one composite being, each with a different body type and fashion style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

If you had told me ten years ago Galvin would be the player to bring out a range of clothes I'd never have believed you. He is one of the least stylish people out there. He seems to have no sense of his own body shape and how to dress to suit it. He appears to have a long torso and the awful skinny jeans/long top combo he favours makes him look stumpy and short despite him apparently being 6ft tall. The Max Wall comparison earlier in the thread is very apt.

Any of the lads wearing boring normal clothes that fit them properly easily look a million times better than him. It's mad that someone who can't even get the very basics of fashion right has been given this platform. They really must have a lot of faith in the strength of his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

The only item I like is the red bomber jacket but at 70 quid it's way too expensive. You could buy something similar in H&M for half the price. Do young fashionable people shop in Dunne's? I haven't set foot inside one in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

That picture is just retina scorching. Just about everything is wrong with it, it looks like someone has photoshopped, at random, three different people into one composite being, each with a different body type and fashion style.

He just looks completely ridiculous tbh. Looks like mumford and sons and one direction swapped style tips, came up with an outfit, then stuffed a bogman into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm holding out for his wooden plank range.

How will you wear the plank?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

pauliebdub wrote: »
    The only item I like is the red bomber jacket but at 70 quid it's way too expensive. You could buy something similar in H&M for half the price. Do young fashionable people shop in Dunne's? I haven't set foot inside one in years.

I wonder what age group/demographic the range is aimed for?

I can't imagine any lad over 40 wearing this stuff, but do lads under 40 buy clothes from Dunnes?

Usually with womens stuff its pigeon-holed into age category/plus sized/formal/work wear/sports etc.

Who is buying and wearing this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

He looks like what happens when you keep hitting "Random" when creating your video game character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I wonder what age group/demographic the range is aimed for?

I can't imagine any lad over 40 wearing this stuff, but do lads under 40 buy clothes from Dunnes?

Usually with womens stuff its pigeon-holed into age category/plus sized/formal/work wear/sports etc.

Who is buying and wearing this stuff?

I reckon Dunnes fiendish plan is based on Granny-sales.

Granny will buy it for the adored grandson for Christmas.
    Young recipient will hate it, but (a) will be bullied by other relatives into wearing it for a few visits to protect everyone's feelings and (b) Granny won't have included a receipt anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

How will you wear the plank?

I will place it on my hat, which will be filled with a mans perfume...with a plum floating in it.

Well, it would explain Dunnes' store manager recruitment policy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Now I know what I look like. My boots are like that but better quality. Better untie the laces to be "on trend"? My excuse is I'm 66.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭El Hombre

Ever since the Harrington and Costello brands I've thought Dunnes are gone a bit cracked notion wise.

Like the prices for stuff that wouldn't be far above the quality of Penny's polo shirts, jeans or chinos and they charging prices you'd be close to paying in a proper brand. I'd swear a Costello shirt was priced nearly at €50 one day and you can get a Tommy Hilfiger shirt from an official shop for about €60.

Advertisement