Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Regardless of the ins and outs of the particular case, doesn't it not all seem very weird that this is all coming out.

I mean, does anybody think that this sort of stuff isn't rife across a large number of countries. Hell, even the awarding of the games is open to many cries of corruption.

It just seems strange that this is being made such a deal over in Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

So, Pat was our "Hide 'n Seek" Olympic representative. Eliminated in first round, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

eigrod wrote: »
    Summary of Sinead O' Carroll on Twitter : Hickeys' wife told police he had left the country after meeting Shane Ross. They found him in an adjoining room.

This is comedy gold.

"Does anyone have Anglea Kerins Solicitors number?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

diomed wrote: »
    Don't the Brazilians know that the OCI is holding an inquiry?
    Surely they should wait for the findings. :)

Really shows up the bull**** nature of inquiries that we seem to be very fond of over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Regardless of the ins and outs of the particular case, doesn't it not all seem very weird that this is all coming out.

I mean, does anybody think that this sort of stuff isn't rife across a large number of countries. Hell, even the awarding of the games is open to many cries of corruption.

I guess the organisers need something to deflect from poor crowds booing silver medalists. This ticket thing is just a perfect excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not really, its the originals eejits fault for getting caught then it snowballed cus as someone else posted earlier its likely he sang like a canary for them due to being effectively a bagman and there had to be higher ups involved which the cops would be a lot happier to get to.

Its deffinitely rife across other countries without a doubt its just we have the criminals stupid enough to get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Mushy wrote: »
    I guess the organisers need something to deflect from poor crowds booing silver medalists. This ticket thing is just a perfect excuse.

See, thats my take on it aswell. Not to deflect from the crappiness of it all, but all of a sudden Brazil reckons reselling tickets is a major offence and the IOC thinks possible corruption and infiltration of the ideals of the Olympics by unscrupulous businessmen is a terrible scourge and needs to be tackled?

Something is very fishy about everything to do with this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Could very well be some sort of smoke screen to deflect away from the fact Rio is a sh1thole, and it's olympics will forever be remembered for being unready, corrupt, under attended and disastrously planned.

the water turned f**king green!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

So, Pat was our "Hide 'n Seek" Olympic representative. Eliminated in first round, however.

Post of the day? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Now, to be fair, the chap selling the tickets was caught first, so i think we can say he reached the final heats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I don't get where you're coming from?

I mean this is a live Rio-Olympics story, regarding Olympic tickets, so why wouldn't it be headline news now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

He stepped out of line. Pay back time!
    Hickey, who is also the President of the European Olympic Committees (EOC), said he was “shocked and concerned on many levels” by the letter.

“I have to question on what authority the USA and Canadian Anti-Doping agencies prepared their letter and what mandate they have to lead an international call for a ban of another nation in the Olympic family,” said Hickey.

https://www.rt.com/sport/351861-wada-report-sochi-olympics/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

See, thats my take on it aswell. Not to deflect from the crappiness of it all, but all of a sudden Brazil reckons reselling tickets is a major offence.

"All of a sudden".

Ticket touting us illegal in Brazil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ceepo wrote: »
    "All of a sudden".

Ticket touting us illegal in Brazil

It's a rule to do with the Games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

In the grand scheme this is storm in a teacup stuff.
    A bit of ticket reselling?
    Its hardy crime of the century.
    Brazil's criminal investigations agencies would be better focused on matters closer to home.

The amount of people on here posting that they hope Hickey rots in jail is interesting considering he hasn't been convicted of anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

He wont be having a golfers grill for his tea tonight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

how does he manage to keep get appointed as head of IOC - typical Ireland... jobs for the boys. Hope Shane Ross can bring in some transparency.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Brazil's criminal investigations agencies would be better focused on matters closer to home.

The amount of people on here posting that they hope Hickey rots in jail is interesting considering he hasn't been convicted of anything yet.

3 millions worth of tickets though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

It's a rule to do with the Games.
    Illegal since 2003 to sell tickets for a higher price

Unlike in the UK6, Brazil has a specific law (the Estatuto do Torcedor 2003) which prohibits tickets for sporting events from being sold at a price higher than face value. Anybody caught committing this criminal offence can face 1 to 2 years in prison and a fine of up to £390,000.7

It is also illegal to supply or facilitate the distribution of tickets for sale at a price that is higher than face value. The penalty for doing so is 2 to 4 years in prison and a fine of up to £390,000.8

Thehttp://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/leis/2003/L10.671.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Yeah lets just leave white collar crime..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭jaykay74

In hindsight walking the streets shouting "buying or selling" wasn't the best move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Possedion wrote: »
    how does he manage to keep get appointed as head of IOC - typical Ireland... jobs for the boys. Hope Shane Ross can bring in some transparency.

I'd say he is smiling ear to ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Actually cant wait for Shane Ross to meet the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I'm happy to be in the Shane Ross constituency and to have voted twice for him.
    He talks posh, but he does like a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Seems he had a fit of the vapours and needed to go to hospital

https://twitter.com/JamilChade/status/765866187507073025/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Does Brazil do perp walks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Would these Brazilians also investigate our: politicians, gardai, banks, regulators, charities, religious orders, developers and lobbyists. Please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who exactly is supposed to be posting over the odds for these tickets when the stadium is never more than half full?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

We should be thanking the Brazilian police for investigating ioc and hickey,al least it wont be biased,its incidents like this that expose corruption accidentally

Advertisement