Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options
1138139140141142144»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Any chance we will see the great man at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

Why did they pay to bail him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Unless I read it wrong it wasn't actually the Olympic council of Ireland that paid the bail, it was the ANOC who represent all the Olympic committees? He's still a dirt bird though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Himself and Delany were great friends. Like minded people find each other.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Water John wrote: »
    Himself and Delany were great friends. Like minded people find each other.
    Hockey had Delaney lined up to succeed him in the OCI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Any chance we will see the great man at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo? :rolleyes:

Maybe as a live target for the archers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Between the FAI and the IOC it's a wonder we ever get it together to compete internationally.

Agreed, the only silver lining here is that both Delaney and Hickey are now gone from their fiefdoms. Unfortunately it has come at a huge cost. It took the best part of 2 million quid to get rid of Hickey and Delaney leaves the FAI tens of millions in debt.

Its just incredible that they both stroll off into the sunset having left a complete and utter mess behind them. We really are a soft touch in Ireland when it comes to white collar crime, there is way too much legal protection for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

steves2 wrote: »
    Unless I read it wrong it wasn't actually the Olympic council of Ireland that paid the bail, it was the ANOC who represent all the Olympic committees? He's still a dirt bird though.

Nice when you can get it. Would they sub me € 410,000, I'm sure I could find something useful to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Always knew it would come down to an acccounting measure. If only you and I could be bailed out of jail without expense and treated to €500 in cash as a flat rate expense every day in a very poor country (Brazil). 5 star hotels etc. as standard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yeah, great.

And children in cork have no school places this year, people with disabilities have money taken away, insurance companies are ripping us all off to pay for this crap.

Really is something rotten in the republic of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Steve wrote: »
    Really is something rotten in the republic of Ireland.

Yes; It's Citizens !

The ones who continue to return Michael Lowry, & numerous others to our Dail, with ever increasing votes; no matter what shit they've done.

While the voters support the cute hoors in Politics; they've no right to bitch, when those cute hoors, appoint other cute hoors !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hockey had Delaney lined up to succeed him in the OCI

And not to forget what Denis o'Brien said about how great John Delaney is-

Sept 2014
    John Delaney could run anything. John Delaney could run UEFA easily. He could run FIFA as far as I’m concerned — certainly better than [FIFA President] Sepp Blatter, and more honestly.

And again in August 2018-
    "I have had the privilege to get to know the work of the FAI and in particular your Chief Executive Officer John Delaney, who I have the highest respect and regard for," said O'Brien.

"He’s one of the few Irish sporting administrators who have made it to the top of their sport internationally. His membership of the executive committee of FIFA is, as I see it, just another step."

Says alot about O'Brien that he lauded someone who was inherently corrupt and incompetent in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I reckon yon bridge between Ireland and Scotland will be completed about the same time Rio sees Paddy again.

so you're telling me there's a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its just incredible that they both stroll off into the sunset having left a complete and utter mess behind them. We really are a soft touch in Ireland when it comes to white collar crime, there is way too much legal protection for these people.

Complete disgrace.

Our last government, apparently a right wing, take no prisoners type, let them both off the hook... Not to mention permitted them to fill their pockets as each went out the door.

Might aswell mention Michael "sick note" Fingleton (former Irish Nationwide Building Society boss), while I'm at it. Another one let off the hook completely, because he was allegedly too ill to appear in front of any committees... though he wasn't too ill to find a way to keep the big pension contribution that he was supposed to give back (think it was a mill?)

Until we get tough on crime, we'll continue to have lots of crime...whether it's white collar crime, or poor little Johnny who grew up in a broken home and now has 87 convictions, but still gets to walk out the front door of the court, after his free legal aid team (that we've paid for) play a quick tune on the world's smallest violin.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement