Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,673 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''He attempted to morph into background when police came knocking. He was out buying camouflage clothes yesterday but couldn't find any''

New Pork Timmies'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

IOC holding a press conference today as well at 11 Rio time....... the plot thickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Who is left to compete apart from Barr? I doubt Hickey's work will have any impact whatsoever on Barr's preparation or performance.

He essentially told Shane Ross to F-off and mind his own business. He'll regret that.

He brings a very positive energy to the whole team which rubs off on everyone. As a long term, tireless, and selfless servant to Irish athletes, we may be sure that Mr Hickey will be assisting the authorities in their investigation as fully as possible, and his only thought will be to get back to representing Ireland for the remainder of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I'd be fairly confident nothing will come of this and he'll be released. However, there's no denying the reputational damage. The main question I have is how is it possible for any one person to be head of the IOC for nearly 30 years?! There should be maximum terms for all these bodies to try to negate the apparent rampant cronyism. Same for FAI et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

He brings a very positive energy to the whole team which rubs off on everyone.

I think you are talking through your hoop. Maybe we should hire Chris Rock to improve our athlete's performances.

His arrest will have zero impact on Barr's performance or any other Irish athlete.

I just hope he achieved a PB for his escape act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Who is left to compete apart from Barr? I doubt Hickey's work will have any impact whatsoever on Barr's preparation or performance.

He essentially told Shane Ross to F-off and mind his own business. He'll regret that.

I believe Ciara Everett in the 800m today ...now is it

50k walk Heffernan Friday
    , Mens Triathalon ...i think that's on now
    Aileen Reid Triathlon saturday I think

I am sure there is someone I have left out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Press conference 'should be' due from Rio, anytime now on SkY News, RTE New Now or BBC News?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

That's great OP. So who is this guy and what's your opinion on the matter?

Any context into your post or am I expected to do all the work myself? :eek:
    Once upon a time , in a land, far, far away......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I hope the gardai take a leaf out of the Brazilian cops book and start clamping down on touts.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

Cienciano wrote: »
    All involved in giving each other backhanders and doing "favours" for each other.

http://www.the42.ie/pat-hickey-john-delaney-ioc-olympics-fai-2912926-Aug2016/

Yup,
    All the main actors in the ticket scalping are soccer figures, a soccer agent, a known ticket scalper who owned an English Football Club ..............
    I'm sure Mr Delaney had no hand in facilitating any of those connections though, he is beyond reproach as the €5 million secret backhander he took from Blatter on behalf of the FAI proves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,673 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He is apparently trying to play him self off as a modern Willy Wonka

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I hope the gardai take a leaf out of the Brazilian cops book and start clamping down on touts.

I hope not. Touts provide a very valuable service, oiling the market of supply and demand. Very often, its the only way I can get tickets. Touts just show that tickets were too cheap to begin with. More power to them I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Why did I immediately think of an individual called Dominique Strauss-Kahn when I heard Hickey had been arrested in a hotel room?
    There could have at least involved a hotel chamber maid to spice it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'd be fairly confident nothing will come of this and he'll be released. However, there's no denying the reputational damage. The main question I have is how is it possible for any one person to be head of the IOC for nearly 30 years?! There should be maximum terms for all these bodies to try to negate the apparent rampant cronyism. Same for FAI et al.

Maybe but Getting bail in Brazil doesnt't appear too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pat Hickey had publicly named John Delaney to take over as head before 2020.

Were just good friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

so on the news in corrupt Ireland,calls by the corrupt establishment for the usual corrupt tribunals/ terms of reference stall stall yawn because they fear damage to Ireland's good name

hope he sings like a canary over there

so on the news in corrupt Ireland,calls by the corrupt establishment for the usual corrupt tribunals/ terms of reference stall stall yawn because they fear damage to Ireland's good name

Irish people seem to have a corruption gene.

Why did I immediately think of an individual called Dominique Strauss-Kahn when I heard Hickey had been arrested in a hotel room?
    There could have at least involved a hotel chamber maid to spice it up!

No need for that type of insinuation.
    The police may have been a bit heavy handed, and the press will try to make it dramatic, but I am sure things will be straightened out pretty quickly.

The police may have been a bit heavy handed, and the press will try to make it dramatic, but I am sure things will be straightened out pretty quickly.

You're doing your best to whitewash this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Another interesting fact, Pat's son Stephen Hickey worked for THG during the the run up to the London 2012 olympics, surly a conflict of interest. The same THG whose directors now have warrants for there arrest for selling tickets that were given to Pro10.
    And there does seem to be indication that both THG and Pro10 fall under the Marcus Evans Group umberella, THG definitely do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

Something as crooked as Hickey couldn't be straightened out if you ran over him with a steamroller.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/live-olympic-council-of-ireland-president-pat-hickey-arrested-in-brazil-750161.html
    Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Shane Ross is in Rio and clashed with Mr Hickey earlier this week when the OCI refused Government calls for independent oversight on its inquiry into the ticket scandal.
    He is understood to be under investigation over his involvement in the irregular sale of Olympic tickets.
    Did Mr Hickey not bribe the right people in Rio?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres too much lining up for this to have no substance, also what innocent man runs from the police?

And the son had stayed in the room next to him in Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You're doing your best to whitewash this thread.
    No just this one but right across boards and other forums: the language is being changed slightly: best to put on the ignore list.:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I presume I'm not the only one who noticed what the acronym of Lucretia's username is?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Irish people seem to have a corruption gene.
    FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

In light of his own arrest perhaps Kevin Mallon has done his own bit of singing to initiate this morning's police action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I heard he threw 2 hookers at the cops and tried to abseil down the aide of the hotel to his waiting chopper as south African mercenaries covered his escape with gunfire.

Edit: unconfirmed reports though.

• Advertisement

Captain, enlighten me.

Advertisement