Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Devastator wrote: »
    So getting back to my original point, both Vegas and Rotterdam are fcuking HOT! So if the heat effects Seery so badly maybe he'd be better suited to fighting on a winter's night in Newry.
    20 odd degrees is not hot. And not remotely comparable to Vegas in summer. How do you not get that?
    I know you were probably joking but it came across as a swipe at Seery TBH.

McGregor via Submission
    Apparently the CM Punk fight is being announced soon for this card. Gall's comments last week suggested it was already booked. Im a little surprised it's going ahead, but glad it'll happen this year as I've money on Gall from months ago :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Mellor wrote: »
    20 odd degrees is not hot. And not remotely comparable to Vegas in summer.

Well, certainly not comparable to a Vegas summer outdoors in Caesars Palace's car park under the blazing sun anyway :P

Which is where McGuigan famously and unbelievably fought Stevie Cruz back in '86.

Temperature in the ring during that fight was recorded at 42 degrees! Madness. Lost his title that day but put up some fight throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Cathy.C wrote:
    Well, certainly not comparable to a Vegas summer outdoors in Caesars Palace's car park under the blazing sun anyway

I think this weather tangent is the strangest one on this thread yet, and that's saying something lol

McGregor via Submission
    jcd5971 wrote: »
    I think this weather tangent is the strangest one on this thread yet, and that's saying something lol
    If we control the nonsense, we can keep the rest at bay. :p

The fight is over 2 months away. We've only just gotten over the jiu jitus white belt type, touchbutt, no training, no cardio nonsense. There scopes for discussing the rematch seriously, but it's gonna be impossible over the noise.

Fight camp is about to start, so i imagine the I seen his drink coca-cola stuff will start soon. what's he doing at a night club. etc etc

• Advertisement

.. i imagine the I seen his drink coca-cola stuff will start soon.

Fcuk the cola. As long he has stopped drinking steaks that's the main thing :p

I'm jesting of course but last week I was watching some, kinda odd, UFC fighter who had posted a video on YouTube saying that in his opinion McGregor had gassed out because of all the steak he was eating. Pretty the guy was a vegetarian. Seems he was trying to get Conor to eat likewise.

McGregor does seem to eat a lot of meat though in fairness to that guy. Has paleo meal companies endorsed and SBG seem to sell them in the gym also. Maybe now that he has been beaten by a vegan he might be giving that way of eating a little consideration. Who knows. I'll keep an eye out for him in Cornucopia so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    Cathy.C wrote: »
    Fcuk the cola. As long he has stopped drinking steaks that's the main thing :p

I'm jesting of course but last week I was watching some, kinda odd, UFC fighter who had posted a video on YouTube saying that in his opinion McGregor had gassed out because of all the steak he was eating. Pretty the guy was a vegetarian. Seems he was trying to get Conor to eat likewise.

McGregor does seem to eat a lot of meat though in fairness to that guy. Has paleo meal companies endorsed and SBG seem to sell them in the gym also. Maybe now that he has been beaten by a vegan he might be giving that way of eating a little consideration. Who knows. I'll keep an eye out for him in Cornucopia so.

thats vegans for ya, they tend to drone on about more or less any human ailment being caused by meat eating, some of them can be very preachy

Depp wrote: »
    thats vegans for ya, they tend to drone on about more or less any human ailment being caused by meat eating, some of them can be very preachy

Nate doesn't seem to be at all like that though. He will talk about it when asked of course, and tweets a few links to stuff he is eating etc, but overall he doesn't really mention it all that much. Same goes for Nick, from what I've seen of them at least.

McGregor via Submission
    Nate doesn't seem to be at all like that though. He will talk about it when asked of course, and tweets a few links to stuff he is eating etc, but overall he doesn't really mention it all that much. Same goes for Nick, from what I've seen of them at least.

yeah they rarely mention it! think they eat fish and eggs though!

Depp wrote: »
    yeah they rarely mention it! think they eat fish and eggs though!

Yeah seen some video with someone they know saying they had eaten a taco with fish in it but thought they may have just been trolling.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Yeah seen some video with someone they know saying they had eaten a taco with fish in it but thought they may have just been trolling.

nah they're open about it, they keep a largely plant based diet but eat small amounts of eggs and fish aswel

McGregor via Submission
    Yeah Nate's not a vegan, he's not even a vegetarian. he doesn't claim to be one either afaik. Others just make the claim on his behalf to push their own agenda (shocking I know ;))
    He just follows a more plant heavy diet than most. Flexitarian I guess.
    It's hardy news that the Diaz' bros are fans of 5 serves of green plants a day

Yeah Nate's not a vegan, he's not even a vegetarian. he doesn't claim to be one either afaik. Others just make the claim on his behalf to push their own agenda (shocking I know ;))

Oh I see the vegan the channels using him for their agenda all right.

Nor getting what the wink was supposed to mean there though. Hope you're not suggesting I have a agenda here. I'm just talking dude.

As for Nate not claiming he is a vegetarian, on the contrary:

"I've been a vegan since I was 18 years old".

McGregor via Submission
    Nor getting what the wink was supposed to mean there though. Hope you're not suggesting I have a agenda here. I'm just talking dude.

Not at all. Wasn't talking about you (don't even know of you are vegan/vegetarian/etc). I meant various groups on social media or what ever constantly latching on to stuff like that.

Cathy.C wrote:

I think Conor just went into that fight all.wrong the camp seemed off, from start even on the embedded it seemed to be all power work and movement work, cardio seemed to be an afterthought.

I really think complacency got into that camp, and as has happened to many a man who finds success he got blinded but the lights and started to believe his own hype.

I noticed some guys gone from camp as well like ( I can't remember his name I'm gone blank) the guy with beard Conor had him on the ultimate fighter as coach.

And then ido portal brought in, which in and of itself was no bad idea, but he appeared to take on a cultish influence on that whole camp.

Long story short I can well believe his diet went to crap that camp, but I think it was a factor of a larger problem.

And that problem is mcgregor believed his on propaganda underated a heavier stronger man, and refused to take instructions from his corner during the fight itself, I found that a surprise at the time.

I think Conor can beat Nate, but I think Nate can roll him over pretty easily too, alot depends on if it's Conor mcgregor sbg fighter circa 2014, or if it's CMAC global celeb master mind show man.

Coz the later ain't doing ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Its funny I dont remember a single post on here or anyone commenting saying his lead up to the Diaz fight was all wrong at the time,hindsight is a wonderful thing if he'd of won we wouldnt be hearing the end of this gymnastic stuff on rings.

I meant various groups on social media or what ever constantly latching on to stuff like that.

Well on that score yeah some are for sure but who could blame them given that vegans / vegetarians will often be sneered at as being weak etc and then someone comes along (in the mainstream's eyes at least) who at least appears to be vegan and is as strong and as full of energy as Nate undoubtedly is. Considered going vegan myself a few times, eat in Cornucopia from time to time and have to say his strength and stamina certainly makes me give the diet even more consideration than I already have.

Not to say that there aren't people in the vegan community distancing themselves from him, there surely are, many saying he is a fake vegan etc. For example the PlantBasedAthlete channel posted the following:

Lockhart seems to be the go to guy for McGregor when it comes to diet, as with many other UFC fighters. The following clip he responds to a few questions about what Conor was eating for 196 and what it was like working with him during that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Its funny I dont remember a single post on here or anyone commenting saying his lead up to the Diaz fight was all wrong at the time,hindsight is a wonderful thing if he'd of won we wouldnt be hearing the end of this gymnastic stuff on rings.

Most of us are just guessing. There are very few actual experts on here, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Well I never posted it (I think) but I remember seeing conor's open workout before the fight and he was taking very deep breaths and sweating profusely after just a light workout, I thought to myself that doesn't bode well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    Saipanne wrote: »
    Most of us are just guessing. There are very few actual experts on here, I'd say.

With the amount of times previous training camps have been discussed/argued its a wonder there are not more experts by now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

Gamebred wrote:

Plenty people were criticising the influence Ido Portal seemed to have, especially when he was doing bag work and all. I remember too, one or two said Conor sounded like he had the flu at the presser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Gamebred wrote: »

I am pretty sure i brought up some of these issues before the fight and i was ridiculed by everyone,not so much Ido but the weight issue not cutting, i fancied Diaz anyway considering Conor had never fought someone so big before.

Hope to see Yair Rodriguez added to this card time line would be fine he fought a while ago,along with Gunnar,Horiguchi maybe Whittaker,Dodson even,are they all unmatched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

How do people think this will go down?

At the moment, I am saying this is ridiculously 50/50. But I think Conor may be able to pull it off this time.

Elemonator wrote:
    At the moment, I am saying this is ridiculously 50/50. But I think Conor may be able to pull it off this time.

Conor is not as good he thinks he is.
    Diaz is not as good as people are saying he is.

Should be close I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    Elemonator wrote: »
    How do people think this will go down?

I see another Diaz win. He's a match for Conors boxing and beats him on the ground.

But what do I know? :)

McGregor via Submission
    Odds are more or less a 50/50 split atm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,111 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

what are the bookies saying at the moment (I'm a complete noob to betting and am befuddled by their sites)

Wetwipe65 wrote: »
    Plenty people were criticising the influence Ido Portal seemed to have, especially when he was doing bag work and all. I remember too, one or two said Conor sounded like he had the flu at the presser

That's true and WarZ posted:
    WarZ wrote: »
    He should be concentrating on his training at this juncture but he seems to swanning around Nevada going from butcher to butcher looking for the best cut of steak.

Obviously the fighters have down time but this steak obsession could cost him the fight. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Here's a clip from McGregor just over a week before the fight and he's working his muscles hard at the start (something which sports scientist Ben Crighton was somewhat concerned with) and then at 1m20s.. we see him tucking into yet juicy looking steak :P

Makes you wonder if his 'steak for breakfast' comments were sincere. I doubt it though as in this Embedded he seems to be eating scrambled egg in the back of the limo. Whatever he was doing though, he won't be doing again. Steak after steak might be just as much history as Ido is. Certainly appears that is the way he is thinking also as here are some recent comments from him:
    "The first eight minutes of the fight was easy. Let's be honest, I slapped the head off him."

"Once the gas tank went, that was it. I drowned. He landed that one punch that rang the bell and went, '[Gasp,] I'm back.' He was close to being done. One or two more shots and he would have been wrapped up.

"Swinging on gymnastic rings on fight week isn't the best thing. Usually, I wrap myself in bubble wrap and only do fight-specific things, but just because of that weight, no weight cut, I had put it in my head that, 'I'm free.' I had energy to burn. I was doing so much bounce footwork, the balls of my feet were burned to a crisp. Looking back, it was ridiculous. I don't know what I was thinking.

"Look at me right now. Fish, red cabbage, asparagus - I'm nowhere near a fight, and I'm on the clock with nutrition."

• Advertisement

If anyone thinks eating steak had anything to do with him losing to Diaz they can send me their details ill pay for a doctors check up,I would also say the gymnastic thing making him gas is rubbish,he gassed but this was most likely due to the new weight class (no experience at fighting this heavy) lack of proper cardio prep in the weeks beforehand and overloading shots.

Advertisement