Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    califano wrote: »
    Seery admitted he cant travel trans atlantic and perform. The flight, heat and distance away from home took it out of him. He wouldnt do himself justice. He stated that was the reason for his lackluster performance v Louis Smolka and seems convinced thats just the way it is.

Really? FS he'll be left fighting in Newry community centre between Nov through January! The heat in Rotterdam felt as warm as Vegas to me, and he didn't perform that day either. Maybe its the heat is the main thing that effects him?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    iamtony wrote: »
    As a blow in hype train ufc fan I had no idea he had loses, but I'm guessing they were not at this level of fighting. Either way I think it will be hard to pull off no matter who you are. Shame really.

He lost twice very early in his career. At the time he was jumping ahead of himself in the pro game (Imogen). I don't think being undefeated was ever a driving factor. MMA is not boxing in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Would love if Joe Duffy was on the card but he's booked unfortunately.

Hadnt heard this. Who and when?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Diaz via Submission
    John_D80 wrote: »
    Hadnt heard this. Who and when?

Mitch Clarke on the Dos Anjos card! Should get the W

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    ASOT wrote: »
    Mitch Clarke on the Dos Anjos card! Should get the W

hopefully alright, be a shame to see him get cut!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Depp wrote: »
    hopefully alright, be a shame to see him get cut!

Don't think there's much chance of that tbh, UFC Europe have high hopes for him, as do Tristar. His wrestling has supposedly come on a fair bit recently, should be a good demonstration of his skills.

McGregor via Submission
    Don't think there's much chance of that tbh, UFC Europe have high hopes for him, as do Tristar. His wrestling has supposedly come on a fair bit recently, should be a good demonstration of his skills.

Firas is one of the best BJJ for MMA coaches imo. Along with Danaher

McGregor via Submission

aye have the same hopes meself, never going to cut him if he loses this especially with his last loss being a decision to dp, just be a shame to see him go on a slide and be in danger is all!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

BT Sport have the first fight up on their youtube page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Devastator wrote:
    They really should put Seery or Ais on the card, give the travelling fans at least 1 more fighter to go crazy about. I wasn;t at 189 but the atmosphere through the night looked amazing and was growing and growing throughout. Gunni was the only other fighter to really get behind at 194 and that lasted until Maia took him down. No connections to anyone else on the 196 card.

What is the story with aisling daly haven't seen her in ages, surely due a fight by now?
    Devastator wrote:
    Really? FS he'll be left fighting in Newry community centre between Nov through January! The heat in Rotterdam felt as warm as Vegas to me, and he didn't perform that day either. Maybe its the heat is the main thing that effects him?

Seems a bit harsh no?

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Devastator wrote: »
    Are you talking about 194/196 in Vegas? It would have been an awful lot hotter during 189 in Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Diaz via Submission
    I cant dig out the article but remember reading him saying it was more the long distance flight that discombobulated him mostly and the air there just not being the same(not necessarily the heat). Says he didnt feel right since stepping off the plane in Vegas, nothing felt right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

CatFromHue wrote: »
    BT Sport have the first fight up on their youtube page

I get an errir on every video put up. Im on the touch site. Happening any one else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    I get an errir on every video put up. Im on the touch site. Happening any one else

Works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That's the first time I've watched it since it being live...it was all over for Conor 4 minutes into the first round. His ground & pound at the end of round 1 wasn't as one sided as I originally felt it was, Nate wasn't really in trouble at all other than the blood from his cuts. Look how hard Conor is breathing when he's sitting down after round 1, he's completely gassed & the look on his face is that of a man knowing he's in trouble. The take down attempt wasn't really a take down attempt, it looked more like a way of just getting off the feet where he was badly rocked (ie, damage limitation).

As for what's in store for the rematch, I don't know...his cardio needs to seriously improve, because that one punch KO just isn't there when fighting Nate. He won't win it on the ground either, given Nate's pretty sublime ground game...so what's it going to come down to if Conor is to have a chance of winning it? My guess is Conor will look to hurting Nate's leg, and also to try cut him to make bleeding a problem. I don't see any other avenue really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Myrddin wrote: »
    That's the first time I've watched it since it being live...it was all over for Conor 4 minutes into the first round. His ground & pound at the end of round 1 wasn't as one sided as I originally felt it was, Nate wasn't really in trouble at all other than the blood from his cuts. Look how hard Conor is breathing when he's sitting down after round 1, he's completely gassed & the look on his face is that of a man knowing he's in trouble. The take down attempt wasn't really a take down attempt, it looked more like a way of just getting off the feet where he was badly rocked (ie, damage limitation).

As for what's in store for the rematch, I don't know...his cardio needs to seriously improve, because that one punch KO just isn't there when fighting Nate. He won't win it on the ground either, given Nate's pretty sublime ground game...so what's it going to come down to if Conor is to have a chance of winning it? My guess is Conor will look to hurting Nate's leg, and also to try cut him to make bleeding a problem. I don't see any other avenue really.

The ground n pound wasnt there at all. Conor was landing the bigger shots and he should've kept going at that lead leg and picking his shots. He wasn't fit enough at all and didn't defend at all.

He got too cocky, didn't stick to the game plan and simply wasn't fit.

I reckon he will batter Nate next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

McGregor via Submission
    Batter him?? Thats a fair turnaround

Diaz via Submission
    I don't see a McGregor win against a Diaz who will be bigger, stronger and fitter than last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

I'm really interested to see the rest of the card. I wasn't surprised to hear that Punk v Gall is being targeted but as far as I can see it looks like they'll be no title fights. There's also so many other fighters booked up. I'd say Gunni and Artem could be added but the rest is difficult to predict.

McGregor via Submission
    JokerD wrote: »
    as far as I can see it looks like they'll be no title fights
    There's no chance that there will be a title fight. Zero.
    HW title is on the line in September.
    MW and BW were just contested.
    The the other 7 titles (LHW, WW, LW, FW(i), Fly, WBW and SW) are all booked for July.

7 title fights in a month must be a record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mellor wrote:
    There's no chance that there will be a title fight. Zero. HW title is on the line in September. MW and BW were just contested. The the other 7 titles (LHW, WW, LW, FW(i), Fly, WBW and SW) are all booked for July.

Make a 145 lbs division for cyborg done, there's your title match you plebs ;-)

*joke

McGregor via Submission
    jcd5971 wrote: »
    What is the story with aisling daly haven't seen her in ages, surely due a fight by now?

Seems a bit harsh no?

Ais has posted some training photos online but no word at all(that Ive heard) about fighting. What was harsh about it?
    Mellor wrote: »
    Are you talking about 194/196 in Vegas? It would have been an awful lot hotter during 189 in Summer

both, I imagine it would be hotter in summer, thats usually the case ;) but it felt really hot at 194 & 196. It was sweltering in Holland a few weeks ago aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

JokerD wrote: »
    I'm really interested to see the rest of the card. I wasn't surprised to hear that Punk v Gall is being targeted but as far as I can see it looks like they'll be no title fights. There's also so many other fighters booked up. I'd say Gunni and Artem could be added but the rest is difficult to predict.

Hoping Artem gets added to the card. It's been a good while for him now, and really hope he fares better than the Alex White fight.

McGregor via Submission
    both, I imagine it would be hotter in summer, thats usually the case ;) but it felt really hot at 194 & 196. It was sweltering in Holland a few weeks ago aswell.
    196 in Vegas and Holland were probably low-mid 20s. (Which is beach weather in Dublin any day of the year). 189 when Neil fought was mid 40s. Another level altogether. I'm not surprised that it affected him. It one thing if you can climatise in a Vegas for a month. But somebody on a prelim purse is probably only flying in during fight week.

It's worth considering at that level. But not always the case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

There's no chance that there will be a title fight. Zero.
    HW title is on the line in September.
    MW and BW were just contested.
    The the other 7 titles (LHW, WW, LW, FW(i), Fly, WBW and SW) are all booked for July.

7 title fights in a month must be a record.

That's it, unless there's a small injury which only requires a small postponement. I know Nate doesn't want to fight on the same card as Nick but his suspension will be over and there's plenty of money to be made on that card so it could happen. It wouldn't surprise me to see him face Condit.

McGregor via Submission
    196 in Vegas and Holland were probably low-mid 20s. (Which is beach weather in Dublin any day of the year). 189 when Neil fought was mid 40s. Another level altogether. I'm not surprised that it affected him. It one thing if you can climatise in a Vegas for a month. But somebody on a prelim purse is probably only flying in during fight week.

It's worth considering at that level. But not always the case

other thing is seery works aswel so he usally is one of the last fighter to check in! hes dead right tbh

Diaz via Submission
    Depp wrote: »
    other thing is seery works aswel so he usally is one of the last fighter to check in! hes dead right tbh

His daily routine is crazy, he has some energy!

McGregor via Submission
    196 in Vegas and Holland were probably low-mid 20s. (Which is beach weather in Dublin any day of the year).

Wonderful!! Anyone know another(relevant) forum that Mellor can continue this discussion on. He can google search average temp's for wherever he wants and compare everywhere to Dublin beach!

So getting back to my original point, both Vegas and Rotterdam are fcuking HOT! So if the heat effects Seery so badly maybe he'd be better suited to fighting on a winter's night in Newry.

McGregor via Submission
    Wonderful!! Anyone know another(relevant) forum that Mellor can continue this discussion on. He can google search average temp's for wherever he wants and compare everywhere to Dublin beach!

So getting back to my original point, both Vegas and Rotterdam are fcuking HOT! So if the heat effects Seery so badly maybe he'd be better suited to fighting on a winter's night in Newry.

main problem with vegas isnt even the heat, problem is how dry the air is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

This place makes baby jesus cry at times....

Advertisement