Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Cathy.C wrote: »
    Around when Rogan said "Conor is busting Nate up" towards the end of the first, he looked as if a solid punch or two from Conor and he was done. I think that's why he grabbed one of Conor's kicks so he could take it to the ground as he knew it was only a matter of time before Conor caught him again. Other than the shot that cut Nate, I think he got very lucky avoiding what Conor was throwing but that was really more Conor's fault than anything. In the 2nd, before Nate caught him with that shot, McGregor was very much on top. It was a strange fight in that regard, that the fighter who was pretty much controlling things ended up getting caught. Happens.

Won't happen twice though.

Sorry you're absolutely delusional take your green tinted glasses off and watch the fight without a bias,Rogan said absolutely nothing of the sort either,the last minute of the rd 1 bar 1 McGregor clean left hand Nate was winning all the exchanges,the lazy kick was the writing on the wall,he was also breathing very heavily on the stool and smiled to mask his complete terror realising he underestimated Nate,

Conor was wobbled with a 1-2 and only survived because Nate clinched him against the cage in the 2nd,after a minute of avoiding a big left and fighting on fumes the famous 1-2 landed and it was curtains,absolutely dominated the 2nd round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    Conor was well beat, imo. Close first round. Not so close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Watching it back there, Conors timing seemed off from the start. He certainly didn't seem any faster than Nate which he should be and was getting caught. Put that down to the weight, diet, training, whatever...but compare it to his fights against Brimmage or Holloway. Conor was also missing a lot of shots.

I think there's was one or two punches in that first round that had Nate seeing some sparks but he wasn't in any danger of being ko'd with one punch, a combo may have changed things however but either way Nate is tough as they come.

I reckon he could feel Conors power waning after a while and that's when he knew he could start coming on strong, in saying that though he was tagging Conor here and there throughout.

The first round wasnt even a crazy quick paced war,its a weird fight if he gassed 3 rounds in you'd say fair enough but he looks tired after 4 minutes and he didnt eat any big shots in that rd 1 that troubled him,start of the 2nd round he stands there with his hands on his hips trying to catch a breath,an elite champion shouldnt be in that state 5 mins into a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭RoryMac

The longer reach of Nate caused a lot of the issues, Conor was over stretching himself on a lot of the punches he threw and with Nate leaning away from the shots many that landed didn't have much power. He had a better luck with the uppercut but need to close the distance to throw or try to counter.

I can see Nate working off the jab next time round trying to get Conor to fall into the same trap again of over reaching on his punches. The key for me is that Conor uses leg kicks to slow Nate down and stop his movement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

Cathy.C wrote:
    Around when Rogan said "Conor is busting Nate up" towards the end of the first, he looked as if a solid punch or two from Conor and he was done. I think that's why he grabbed one of Conor's kicks so he could take it to the ground as he knew it was only a matter of time before Conor caught him again. Other than the shot that cut Nate, I think he got very lucky avoiding what Conor was throwing but that was really more Conor's fault than anything. In the 2nd, before Nate caught him with that shot, McGregor was very much on top. It was a strange fight in that regard, that the fighter who was pretty much controlling things ended up getting caught. Happens.

Never did he look like he was a punch or two from being down. Yes he was bloodied but that doesn't equate to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

Will be a tough one for Connor to win. Nates the better boxer and bjj practitioner. But luckily for Connor he likes to stand and trade rather than take it to the ground! Still going for the McG split decision win. Connors use of kicking will be crucial tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Around when Rogan said "Conor is busting Nate up" towards the end of the first, he looked as if a solid punch or two from Conor and he was done.

laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

McGregor via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    The first round wasnt even a crazy quick paced war,its a weird fight if he gassed 3 rounds in you'd say fair enough but he looks tired after 4 minutes and he didnt eat any big shots in that rd 1 that troubled him,start of the 2nd round he stands there with his hands on his hips trying to catch a breath,an elite champion shouldnt be in that state 5 mins into a fight.

I am by no means a Conor lover like every Irish person here seems to be (well most is harsh but a lot) but I have watched every fight that he has done in the UFC and most of the ones when he wasn't in the UFC. In my opinion in that Diaz fight he wasn't himself and he gassed very quick, which seemed very very weird to me.

I heard rumours about a chest infection and that wouldn't surprise me if that was true, now I am by no means a Conor nut hugger, so don't anyone jump down my throat. I think Conor seriously might have some sort of illness that affected his cardio but I reckon Conors ego made him think he can fight through it and win easily, I reckon he thought he could beat anyone even with a chest infection.

If the theory that he did had an infection was true does that mean he wins the second fight? Not necessarily in my opinion, Nate is a tough fight for anyone and I would still have Nate as favourite, I also had Nate as favourite slightly for the first fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

The next fight is very interesting to me, and I honestly can't call it. From a psychological perspective, Conor was complacent and underestimated his opponent - and to be honest, I can see how it would be easy to fall into that trap, seeing how Aldo was dispatched with so easily.

In short, I think he believed his own hype and got a swift reality check.

But there's a lot riding on this fight, and my guess is that his hunger is back. I hope we'll see a completely different animal in there next time. And it will need to be too, as Diaz's game plan was spot on last time, and you can be sure he'll be much improved this time with the proper prep.

Conor's primary advantages at 145, are range, power and speed. Moving up with so much weight, he negated the latter advantage, and the other would not have anywhere near the same impact in the new weight class, given the natural size of the bigger opponents.

It seemed that Conor wasn't used to someone being able to roll with his punches, which completely nullified the power he was putting into them. He certainly didn't 'batter' Diaz as he claimed - he connected plenty, but mostly grazing shots. The blood on Diaz flattered to deceive.

Range was also a big issue. You're not going to connect with power if you can't get your positioning right, and this will be key to the next fight. The last fight he was slow, sluggish and predictable. It had to be due to the weight increase.

I think taking this fight at 170 again is a mistake. He's forcing himself up to a weight class where he doesn't belong, just so he can 'undo' the mistakes of before. I get why he wants it like that, but I think he should be going into the fight at 155, after a cut and being lean and fast.

The above is why I worry for him somewhat. It indicates that he may go in with the same basic approach, and if that happens he loses imo. He needs a total strategy rework on this one.

Very interesting fight ahead, either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

bigmc23 wrote: »
    Never did he look like he was a punch or two from being down. Yes he was bloodied but that doesn't equate to anything.

Yeah he did. I don't know what fight people are watching but I think you all must have had your eyes closed at certain points.

Go to 15m 30seconds and just after Nate hits Conor with two jabs (with 1m 07seconds of Round 1 left on the clock) Conor hits him with a beautiful left which absolutely rocks Nate as he puts his hands up over his head and is quite clearly disorientated (all be it momentarily) and needs to step back to compose himself for a second. At that point, imo, if Conor had landed another succession of punches, as sweet as that last one was, Nate was done and I think he knew it too which was why he stayed his distance all of a sudden and turned his attention to trying to kick Conor's legs. Conor kicks back, Nate grabs his leg and takes him to the ground. He did that deliberately imo as he didn't want to take the chance of getting hit with any more of those sweet lefts.

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Yeah he did. I don't know what fight people are watching but I think you all must have had your eyes closed at certain points.

Go to 15m 30seconds and just after Nate hits Conor with two jabs (with 1m 07seconds of Round 1 left on the clock) Conor hits him with a beautiful left which absolutely rocks Nate as he puts his hands up over his head and is quite clearly disorientated (all be it momentarily) and needs to step back to compose himself for a second. At that point, imo, if Conor had landed another succession of punches, as sweet as that last one was, Nate was done and I think he knew it too

Cathy, watch that properly a few times, as I have. He doesn't even connect with that shot that you consider to have rocked him.

He's ducking under and keeping his hands raised to protect himself as he re positions himself.

There's no contact whatsoever made with that shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

daRobot wrote: »
    Cathy, watch that properly a few times, as I have. He doesn't even connect with that shot that you consider to have rocked him.

He's ducking under and keeping his hands raised to protect himself as he re positions himself.

There's no contact whatsoever made with that shot.

Ah here. It wasn't clean but of course he connected.

giphy.gif

Reminds me of when everyone was saying McGregor didn't connect with Poirier and that the guy took a dive.

McGregor via Submission
    Regarding this fight, how can Conor win?

I don't see him knocking Diaz out, I don't see him subbing Diaz and I dont see him out pointing Diaz, I could possibly seeing Diaz doing any of the three possibly to Conor. In saying that I think Conor got to cocky and believed his own hype so I am thinking he might surprise us all, hopefully he does because I really hope he wins this fight.

I think in my opinion that he should have taken the fight at 155, so Nate can't go up to 190 and then slim down to 170. At 170 Nate is going to be able to take much more punishment and he is going to be way strong/bigger than Conor. Anyway fcuk it, cant wait for this fight :D WARRRR CONNNOR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission

I don't see him knocking Diaz out, I don't see him subbing Diaz and I dont see him out pointing Diaz, I could possibly seeing Diaz doing any of the three possibly to Conor. In saying that I think Conor got to cocky and believed his own hype so I am thinking he might surprise us all, hopefully he does because I really hope he wins this fight.

I think in my opinion that he should have taken the fight at 155, so Nate can't go up to 190 and then slim down to 170. At 170 Nate is going to be able to take much more punishment and he is going to be way strong/bigger than Conor. Anyway fcuk it, cant wait for this fight :D WARRRR CONNNOR

lot of misconception around this, Diaz keeps his natural weight ~170 year round, with the amount of cardio he does especially, no way hes putting on that much weight in under about 2 years of heavy lifting without some heavy duty steroids, only option to put on 20lb that quick would be fat but thats completely counter-intuitive, heaviest he'll be fight week is probably around 170 or so and as hes coming off a full camp his body fat will be lower so he'll probably step on the scales at ~168 or so, just cause the fights at 170 hes not coming in looking like brock lesnar he'll be the same nate we see in every fight, lean, tough and with cardio for actual days! I believe conor wins with a tko in the 4th/5th round

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

darced wrote: »

I agree, Diaz was at least 180 in the last fight, he's one of the heaviest LW's. I'd say closer to 185 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He could definitely out point him if he's smarter with his shot selection, uses kicks to Nate's lead leg and has a significant improvement in his cardio levels, IMO.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I agree, Diaz was at least 180 in the last fight, he's one of the heaviest LW's. I'd say closer to 185 myself.

no way he looks that heavy to me anyway! this reminds of the funfair in father ted :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,145 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Gotta hand it to you Cathy, blind refusal to concede any ground. Admirable in a way, I look forward to what you will come out with if the fight doesn't go the way you hope next time around. :)

The first fight was excellent, with Diaz in top shape for the next it can only be better imo, cannot wait.

Small matter of 200 first of course

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    Depp wrote: »
    this reminds of the funfair in father ted :D:D:D

were you just watching that because that episode is literally just over on more4 :D

edit - this thread reminds me of it too. Reading through posts makes me want to chuck myself of a picnic bench being held 50 feet in the air by a crane :D

McGregor via Submission
    Devastator wrote: »
    were you just watching that because that episode is literally just over on more4 :D

edit - this thread reminds me of it too. Reading through posts makes me want to chuck myself of a picnic bench being held 50 feet in the air by a crane :D

haha seriously? didnt realise that was on atal thats weird! thats the one where yer man is in the paddock and theyre trying to guess his weight or am i way off the mark?

McGregor via Submission
    Paully D wrote: »
    He could definitely out point him if he's smarter with his shot selection, uses kicks to Nate's lead leg and has a significant improvement in his cardio levels, IMO.

When has McGregor ever used kicks to the legs? I have heard some people suggest that but when has he ever shown kicking like that ever? I know that worked for RDA but his type of kicking is completely different than Conors.

I can see Conors cardio being better though for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Depp wrote: »
    lot of misconception around this, Diaz keeps his natural weight ~170 year round, with the amount of cardio he does especially, no way hes putting on that much weight in under about 2 years of heavy lifting without some heavy duty steroids, only option to put on 20lb that quick would be fat but thats completely counter-intuitive, heaviest he'll be fight week is probably around 170 or so and as hes coming off a full camp his body fat will be lower so he'll probably step on the scales at ~168 or so, just cause the fights at 170 hes not coming in looking like brock lesnar he'll be the same nate we see in every fight, lean, tough and with cardio for actual days! I believe conor wins with a tko in the 4th/5th round

This isn't true,i mean we could argue all day about what he walks around but got look at his weigh in for fighting Michael Johnson and he looks drained.

If you think thats a guy just cutting 15 pounds you are crazy,15 pounds would be an easy cut.

nate-diaz-weighs-in-for-his-welterweight-bout-against-rory-macdonald-picture-id113279316

Nate weighing in at 170 v Rory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Thats a scary pic for Conor.

McGregor via Submission
    usa-today-9157597.0.jpg

Conor Weighing in at 168 against diaz, feck all difference really, mcgregor looks slightly bigger if anything, dont know why hed be scared!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

When has McGregor ever used kicks to the legs?

Holloway fight at least. He uses like a billion different kicks in that fight though, most of them kind of calmly thrown as if he was just picking and choosing different kicks from his arsenal just to show them off.

Advertisement