Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

Peist2007 wrote:
    I would. McGregor has made a complete balls of things and from an unbelievable position over the past year. The decision to go ahead with this fight is madness. Saipanne said earlier that the mystique is gone if he loses again. I would argue that it is gone now and a chastening experience in the rematch could be the end of McGregor as a serious contender in the weight class(es) he wants to fight in. Mental how he has ended up here but smarts is definitely not the reason.

Well he got to where he is, he is known around the world, unbelievabley rich, a world champion. Hes smart enough I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Wetwipe65 wrote: »
    Thought it was that only title fights that are suppose to be 5 rounds. Has there been many more non title 5 rounders?

Started last year or the year before that all headliners are 5 rounds

RoryMac wrote:
    Started last year or the year before that all headliners are 5 rounds

Can you tell me of any non title fights that were 5 rounders though? I can't think of any besides McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Thought it was that only title fights that are suppose to be 5 rounds. Has there been many more non title 5 rounders?

On every card the main event us 5 rounds. More non title fight are 5 rounds than title fights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    Can you tell me of any non title fights that were 5 rounders though? I can't think of any besides McGregor

bisping silva is the most recent one i can think of, every main event fight has been booked for 5 rounds for the last year or so

• Advertisement

All of them, most recently Almedia vs Garbrandt & Overeem vs Arlovski

Mellor wrote:
    On every card the main event us 5 rounds. More non title fight are 5 rounds than title fights

Depp wrote:
    bisping silva is the most recent one i can think of, every main event fight has been booked for 5 rounds for the last year or so

Cheers. I couldn't think of any and knew it must be a fairly recent thing. I stopped watching MMA for 3 or 4 years, then jumped aboard the bandwagon again last summer

RoryMac wrote:
    All of them, most recently Almedia vs Garbrandt & Overeem vs Arlovski

I watched the Overeem fight and all :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Submission
    Depp wrote: »

For a bonus point, and a pat on the head, who can name the most recent UFC main event that was scheduled for only 3 rounds?

John_D80 wrote: »
    For a bonus point, and a pat on the head, who can name the most recent UFC main event that was scheduled for only 3 rounds?

Paddy Holohan at Fight Night in Dublin due to pullouts in the other fights??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

McGregor via Submission
    I watched the Overeem fight and all :/

to be fair that was a finish, awful lot of main event finishes over the last while looking back over it!

McGregor via Submission
    RoryMac wrote: »

anigif_enhanced-9754-1409344312-11.gif?itok=ti40vT1-&mtime=1458788763

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    John_D80 wrote: »
    RoryMac wrote: »

Paddy/Smolka def was only 3 but was Rashad & Teixera a 3 rounder again because of late pullouts & late main event replacement?

McGregor via Submission
    Devastator wrote: »
    Paddy/Smolka def was only 3 but was Rashad & Teixera a 3 rounder again because of late pullouts & late main event replacement?

To the best of my knowledge, that fight was promoted to full 5 rd main event status after Khabib/Ferguson (I think) was pulled. Didn't hear any talk before it that it was gonna be over 3 rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    TBH I don't know. I just remember talk of a recent(ish?) Rashad fight that would be a 3rd headliner.....but he's pulled out & had opponents pull out on him quite a bit over last few years so its hard to remember.

Vs Teixera I'm sure Rashad would have been happier if he even lasted over 3 mins :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

McGregor via Submission
    Peist2007 wrote: »
    I would. McGregor has made a complete balls of things and from an unbelievable position over the past year. The decision to go ahead with this fight is madness. Saipanne said earlier that the mystique is gone if he loses again. I would argue that it is gone now and a chastening experience in the rematch could be the end of McGregor as a serious contender in the weight class(es) he wants to fight in. Mental how he has ended up here but smarts is definitely not the reason.

Well, I think the above posters were referring to fight intelligence more so than anything else.

For me, I like fighters who take on challenges and risks, compared to the likes of Mighty Mouse who is just lapping his division/chasing undefeated runs instead of moving up.

It is a big risk for Conor to do the rematch for sure, but I think he can win. I think it will be a bigger win than if he beat Nate first time around, because if Conor had won we'd be listening to Nate's apparent lack of preparation.

Conor hasn't skulked away from the loss. He supposedly watched the fight back a bunch of times before going to the post-fight presser. I don't think a fighter who thinks he couldn't win a rematch would have done that. I admire the competitor in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    FYI "All main events are 5 rounds" rule came in 5 years ago. The last fight scheduled the 3 rounds was Evans v Davis at UFC 133 (exclude random 3 rounders over the years)

McGregor via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    FYI "All main events are 5 rounds" rule came in 5 years ago. The last fight scheduled the 3 rounds was Evans v Davis at UFC 133 (exclude random 3 rounders over the years)

that long ago? christ i'm getting on!:D

Mellor wrote: »

:eek: Crazy it's that long ago, would've been sure it was 2014-15

• Advertisement

Well, I think the above posters were referring to fight intelligence more so than anything else.

For me, I like fighters who take on challenges and risks, compared to the likes of Mighty Mouse who is just lapping his division/chasing undefeated runs instead of moving up.

It is a big risk for Conor to do the rematch for sure, but I think he can win. I think it will be a bigger win than if he beat Nate first time around, because if Conor had won we'd be listening to Nate's apparent lack of preparation.

Conor hasn't skulked away from the loss. He supposedly watched the fight back a bunch of times before going to the post-fight presser. I don't think a fighter who thinks he couldn't win a rematch would have done that. I admire the competitor in him.

I certainly admire Conor for taking the challenge and if he can pull off the win he'll deserve a lot of credit especially as I'd imagine to get the win he will need to show a more measured approach to the fight, looking for openings rather than unloading, backing Nate up to the cage etc all the time with a big reach disadvantage.

Conor has a difficult puzzle to figure out for this fight and hopefully he can do that but either way I expect we're in for a great fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Well he got to where he is, he is known around the world, unbelievabley rich, a world champion. Hes smart enough I'd say

He is an employee/independent contractor of the UFC and came along when they badly needed an english speaking superstar. Right place right time. He is a good fighter but was overpromoted and then easily beaten by a half fit Diaz. I fear for what a fully trained Diaz might do to McGregor in the rematch. Where will all the "i am a master of movement" talk be then?

I disagree. I think his behavior since the loss has been completely childish and immature. I also think you are grasping.

Peist2007 wrote:
    He is an employee/independent contractor of the UFC and came along when they badly needed an english speaking superstar. Right place right time. He is a good fighter but was overpromoted and then easily beaten by a half fit Diaz. I fear for what a fully trained Diaz might do to McGregor in the rematch. Where will all the "i am a master of movement" talk be then?

Look, the mans obviously talented. You can not forget how good Jose Aldo was, how well he did to beat Chad either. Look at his fights before the UFC. The man won't be beat in the 145 division. I agree he won't beat Nate, but you can't right off everything he has done. Overpromotion means fkall when he's in the cage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I dont remember you posting this nonsense when he was ko'ing Aldo dead in 13 seconds a few months ago,it wasnt right place right time then or there was no jokes about his ''master of movement'' comments,amazing one loss and he fluked his way to the top thanks to the ufc pr and easy fights :rolleyes:

Look, the mans obviously talented. You can not forget how good Jose Aldo was, how well he did to beat Chad either. Look at his fights before the UFC. The man won't be beat in the 145 division. I agree he won't beat Nate, but you can't right off everything he has done. Overpromotion means fkall when he's in the cage

Over promotion is extremely relevant when you are lying there in front of millions doing something you swore you would never have to do ie tap out.

I agree with you that he is a talented fighter. But, let's face it. He was put into an unbelievable position - some through circumstance and some through his talent / talking - but he has spunked it. The fact that it has happened so quickly is what i find so surprising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Over promotion is extremely relevant when you are lying there in front of millions doing something you swore you would never have to do ie tap out.

I agree with you that he is a talented fighter. But, let's face it. He was put into an unbelievable position - some through circumstance and some through his talent / talking - but he has spunked it. The fact that it has happened so quickly is what i find so surprising.

''He spunked it''

Congrats it took some doing but you've probably made the stupidest comment on the mma forum ever.

Gamebred wrote: »
    I dont remember you posting this nonsense when he was ko'ing Aldo dead in 13 seconds a few months ago,it wasnt right place right time then or there was no jokes about his ''master of movement'' comments,amazing one loss and he fluked his way to the top thanks to the ufc pr and easy fights :rolleyes:

I was banned from boards at that time so you'd have been doing well to notice anything being posted by me.

I didnt say he had fluked his way to the top. Considering you spend so much time in here acting as the thread's gatekeeper, you'd think you'd have an auld read as well.

Gamebred wrote: »
    ''He spunked it''

Congrats it took some doing but you've probably made the stupidest comment on the mma forum ever.

Stop stamping your feet like a child. You disagree with me. No need to add the childish hyperbole.

McGregor has completely fooked things up. Take a step back. All that domination and taking over talk, it's all in the past now. And that past was 3 months ago. The fall has been almost quicker than the rise.

Ps the "stupidest" comments in the MMA Forum would actually have to be your good self when McGregor was acting the child and cancelled the first rematch with Diaz. Now that was fooking stupid. Made a right clown of yourself there in fairness. A good laugh to watch at the time.

• Advertisement

Peist2007 wrote:

Wtf has promotion got to do with tapping out? He wasn't getting out of that choke, would it make much of a difference if it went on another 10 or 15 seconds and he was put to sleep?
    Peist2007 wrote:

Reason it happend so "quick" ( 8 years) is because he was destroying every opponent inside a round or 2 with ease. His talent and his personality made him extremely popular and the UFC let him do because he's bringing in record breaking money.

Advertisement