Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Conor looks a lot like Phil Baroni there imo and that Conor fights pretty similiar to him too.

McGregor via Submission
    Holloway fight at least. He uses like a billion different kicks in that fight though, most of them kind of calmly thrown as if he was just picking and choosing different kicks from his arsenal just to show them off.

He has some nice movement with his kicks for sure but for me they seem to be just a way to disguise his left hook. I cant see Conor trying to take out Nate like RDA did by kicking out the lead leg. I do think he can possibly out point Diaz if his Cardio is better.

As Conor said he wants to 'right this wrong' of losing to Diaz. So in theory If Conor out points Diaz is that the wrong corrected? Seen as Diaz made him quit?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    As Conor said he wants to 'right this wrong' of losing to Diaz. So in theory If Conor out points Diaz is that the wrong corrected? Seen as Diaz made him quit?
    I don't think the method matters if he wins. A win is a win. He should be happy with any tbh.

Why do people keep saying "made him quit" when referring to the submission? Obviously I'm aware what tapping out signifies, but in the 100s of previous submission wins in the UFC, nobody refered to the other guy as having been made quit*. Is just a new thing because of McGregor's polarising nature?

*if somebody tapped due to strikes it might make some sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think the method matters if he wins. A win is a win. He should be happy with any tbh.

Why do people keep saying "made him quit" when referring to the submission? Obviously I'm aware what tapping out signifies, but in the 100s of previous submission wins in the UFC, nobody refered to the other guy as having been made quit*. Is just a new thing because of McGregor's polarising nature?

*if somebody tapped due to strikes it might make some sense.

I would think that they would be implying that McGregor quit the moment he shot for that ill-advised double-leg from the other side of the cage. Not saying I agree, poor execution in a desperate circumstance doesn't equate to quitting in my mind, and he did continue to defend on the ground surprisingly well in reality before the choke was sunk in but this is ignored by many of those who just label McGregor a quitter

McGregor via Submission
    Maybe that's what they mean. But makes no sense either. The shot was a sensible move, but badly executed imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭XsApollo

How can Conor win this?
    IMO
    He won't knock him out.

Leg kicks?
    I don't Conor's kick are used for that purpose.
    His leg kick are used for keeping range and setting up for punches.
    His body kicks are a different matter and are a good weapon.

Don't think he can win a dog fight versus Nate.

On the ground?
    Don't think so either.

So the ways see him possibly winning are.

On points.
    By keeping distance and out pointing him.

Possible tko in the later rounds due to cuts to Nate or a barrage of shots late in the fight if Conor can keep himself in check and save some power and energy for later in the fight.
    That's the key for me.

Other than that I don't think Conor has many ways to win this.

I think Nate has a lot more ways to win this as in he can win the way Conor has a chance of winning but can also win in ways that Conor won't be able to.
    (Hope that makes sense ;-))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I'm thinking body shots like the mendes fight is his best chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Cathy.C wrote: »
    Ah here. It wasn't clean but of course he connected.

Reminds me of when everyone was saying McGregor didn't connect with Poirier and that the guy took a dive.

You're seeing something that didn't happen, and without wanting to offend you, that can only be described as delusional. Even the commentary acknowledged it as a miss.

I feel this is getting into the realms of telling a homeless bloke why he isn't actually Jesus Christ, so don't want to go any further on this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Conor looks tiny lately hes very ill advised fighting at 170,I'd be surprised if he was anything over 170 right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Gamebred wrote: »
    Conor looks tiny lately hes very ill advised fighting at 170,I'd be surprised if he was anything over 170 right now.

I haven't been paying attention for a while now but did they ever explain why the fight between a LW and FW is at WW?

I haven't been paying attention for a while now but did they ever explain why the fight between a LW and FW is at WW?

Conors call,wants revenge under the same circumstances,

If he begins to slide career wise I can see us getting McGregor Duffy at some stage if this is his thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

daRobot wrote: »
    You're seeing something that didn't happen, and without wanting to offend you, that can only be described as delusional. Even the commentary acknowledged it as a miss.

Listen again. One called it a miss but Rogan said: "Good left hand Conor!".

He was hit. Like I said, people said that about the punch that poirier went down on.

People were replaying it replaying trying to make a case that he had taken a dive.

If I can find another angle knocking about I'll post it.

In any case the point I as making was that people seem to think that the only time Conor was outboxing Nate was when he cut him. It's clear from watching the round that that was far from the case. I fully expect Conor to be more precise in the rematch and fully connect with way more of his punches than he did at 196 which should see him win quite easily. 2nd round latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

He was hit. Like I said, people said that about the punch that poirier went down on.

People were replaying it replaying trying to make a case that he had taken a dive.

In any case the point I as making was that people seem to think that the only time Conor was outboxing Nate was when he cut him. It's clear from watching the round that that was far from the case. I fully expect Conor to be more precise in the rematch and fully connect with way more of his punches than he did at 196 which should see him win quite easily. 2nd round latest.

I am as much a Conor fan as anyone but i just think the idea that he actually beats Nate at 170 is close to impossible,never mind easily by round 2,it such a tough task,i don't think its a knock on Conors skills to say that he can't beat Nate,because he is just too big for him at this weight,and its a stupid fight for him to take on.

Also why would he be more precise next time,he didn't grow in height his arms didn't get longer,Nate didn't get any smaller,the same problems are still there the next time,only this time Nate has a camp for a fight at 170 so he will be bigger.

McGregor via Submission
    newbbieb wrote: »
    I am as much a Conor fan as anyone but i just think the idea that he actually beats Nate at 170 is close to impossible.
    People said the same thing about Bisping verses Rockhold last week. Impossible doesn't belong in MMA.

As Rogan and Schaub say the mma gods give zero ****s anything can happen and usually does im forever writing people off thinking I know it all then booom fist cracks chin and its lights out.

Quite easily win by the second round?
    Don't forget this won't be the same Nate Diaz stepping in the ring either.
    Nate Diaz has been tko'd once in like 30 fights or something like that.
    Never been knocked out I think.
    Submitted once or twice is it?

Only way this is stopping early is if Diaz finishes Conor, otherwise going its the full 5 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

And just because Nate has never been knocked out doesn't mean he can't be knocked out. A perfect connection can knock out anyone, he is human after all.

And just because Nate has never been knocked out doesn't mean he can't be knocked out. A perfect connection can knock out anyone, he is human after all.

Obviously anybody can be knocked out.
    Highly unlikely Conor is doing it Nate tho.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Obviously anybody can be knocked out.
    Highly unlikely Conor is doing it Nate tho.

Pillow fisted Bisping was unlikely to ko rockhold look how that went,you just cant predict it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Pillow fisted Bisping

haha :pac:

McGregor via Submission

Only way this is stopping early is if Diaz finishes Conor, otherwise going its the full 5 rounds.

29 fights,
    19 wins, 10 losses
    1 TKO loss, 1 submission loss

Pillow fisted Bisping was unlikely to ko rockhold look how that went,you just cant predict it.

Yea I agree you can't predict anything in this sport.

Do you think Conor will knock him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

If he soaks his gloves in chloroform he might

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission

I think if he picks his shots better and doesnt swing for the fences every opening he can get a late tko, diaz is too hard to get ''one punch ko'd'' but i think cumulative shots would be effective after a few rounds, all conor needs to do differently is come in with better cardio and preserve his energy better and the win is there for the taking

Im not sure to be honest if his power will be as good at the heavier weight,the bigger they are the harder they fall as the saying goes,Aldo had never been ko'd and look what happened him,Diaz has been dropped before even Benson Henderson dropped him and hes not a massive puncher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

newbbieb wrote: »
    Also why would he be more precise next time,he didn't grow in height his arms didn't get longer,Nate didn't get any smaller.

Imo he will be more precise with his strikes as he knows now that he has to be, it's that simple. I think Conor thought he would beat Diaz easily and so was nonchalant in parts of the fight.

Yeah, I remember Nate saying if he had a full camp Conor wouldn't have been touched but I don't believe a word of that. Maybe with other fighters full camps are crucial but both Nick and Nate are on record as saying that on their worst days are ready to fight. Didn't Nate say that in the Octagon that fighters should always be ready to fight anyone on even their worst day. They live by that. One tequila shot and a boat trip doesn't mean he was all that far from the best he has to offer. On the contrary I think that is far better perpetration than arsing about on rings and mainlining steak and chips.

Well apart from Thomson who seemed to beat him with head kicks (few leg kicks and elbows hurt him too).

I know a lot of people are saying that and many that know a hell of lot more about mma than me, but I honestly can't see Conor risking going five rounds, as the more rounds the more chance Nate will get him on the ground. At the end of the day, Conor's best and most dangerous asset is still his left. There is no way he is going to abandon using it to it's full potential. Not a chance.

Loading up with it and missing defiantly contributed to him gassing out, that's for sure, but it's more the missing that was the issue there, not the loading up. Diaz KO'd / TKO'd within two for me. No matter what happens though, I think it's going to be a great fight nonetheless and neither of them will have an excuse of they lose which makes it all the more interesting compared to the first.

“You can’t go up twenty-three pounds in less than three months and not be tired. You just can’t do it. Nate went to bed the night before the fight at 183-pounds. He probably got in to the cage at 181-pounds. Conor probably came in to the ring at 166-pounds. So you’re looking at about fourteen to fifteen pounds right there. That matters at the size''

Chaels view on the first fight that I came across,any truth in them numbers or is Chael being Chael.

McGregor via Submission
    “You can’t go up twenty-three pounds ...''

Chaels view on the first fight that I came across,any truth in them numbers or is Chael being Chael.

He is just subtracting his two weigh-in weights to come up with the first number. 168lbs - 145lbs = 23lbs. Conor wasn't 145lbs at 194. Chael knows how weigh-ins work, he knows he didn't go up 23lbs, he's just being clickbait-Chael.
    Whether the second numbers are accurate, I don't know. But the initial exaggeration doesn't give me much confidence that he's truthful for the rest.

That said, they weren't the same size, so if he is exaggerating, it isn't by much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Diaz via Submission
    “You can’t go up twenty-three pounds in less than three months and not be tired. You just can’t do it. Nate went to bed the night before the fight at 183-pounds. He probably got in to the cage at 181-pounds. Conor probably came in to the ring at 166-pounds. So you’re looking at about fourteen to fifteen pounds right there. That matters at the size''

Chael being Chael. Conor was in the mid 170's the week before the fight according to Lockhart and Kavanagh, Nate said he barely cut weight for the fight.

Why would Conor weigh in at 169 (after a small cut) and then be 3 lbs lower than than 1 day later?

Advertisement