Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

McGregor via Submission
    Fairly confident Diaz will win again.
    Regardless of training, if Diaz gets him in choke hold again, he will tap out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »

I don't get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    Saipanne wrote: »
    I don't get it...

hes walking similarly to the kinda exaggerated strut vince mcmahon does when he walks out in wwe and the music is his entrance theme, bit of an inside joke for wwe fans but its hilarious enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I don't get it...

Conor's buying the WWE, hostile takeover like Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

If anyone locks in a choke properly on anyone, the result is a tap or going unconscious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Big 'if' in fairness.

Conor wasn't so easily manipulated at the end of the first when Nate had him on his back. In fact Conor then put him on his back and broke his guard twice just a pity he didn't fully connect with those punches.

After he went to ground when it was clear that he was one or two punches away from being KO'd Nate did skillfully grapple him into submission. Leg trap, mount, choke, tap, blah blah blah, but so what, sure McGregor was no better than a blow up doll with a puncture at that point.

https://twitter.com/thenotoriousmma/status/727148128055484416

BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

Nate pulled guard there slapping him in the face in reality,he has one of the best triangles in mma I'd say he was delighted Conor was in his guard,it was a nice fancy sweep alright you dont see much of it in mma but I wouldnt read much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    everlast75 wrote: »
    what are the bookies saying at the moment (I'm a complete noob to betting and am befuddled by their sites)
    See below, it varies marginally from one book to the nest
    Mellor wrote: »
    Odds are more or less a 50/50 split atm
    Cathy.C wrote: »
    who at least appears to be vegan and is as strong and as full of energy as Nate undoubtedly is. Considered going vegan myself a few times, eat in Cornucopia from time to time and have to say his strength and stamina certainly makes me give the diet even more consideration than I already have.

His energy, skills and performance are down to years of training, not because he had tofu and beans and training.
    That's the generally idea when you get caught in a submission.
    I'm not sure the point is.
    Nate pulled guard there slapping him in the face in reality,he has one of the best triangles in mma I'd say he was delighted Conor was in his guard,it was a nice fancy sweep alright you dont see much of it in mma but I wouldnt read much into it.

Nate accepted the sweep definitely, he wasn't concerned with being his back. But it wasn't by choice, he wanted to be on top. It was a realy nice sweep and not something he can just wall into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Submission
    Am I the only one who thinks that McGregor will totally dominate the rematch? I'm a huge fan of Nate Diaz, always have been but he's really not as good as some people tend to think he is off the back off the last win.

I know Diaz is notoriously difficult to finish but I'm calling it as a TKO stoppage (for Conor) before the end of the third. Diaz will make the mistake of staying on the feet with McGregor. Conor is going to be fighting smart next time out and I dont think anyone, even Nate Diaz can withstand a sustained and measured barrage of heavy shots like McGregor can dish out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

John_D80 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone, even Nate Diaz can withstand a sustained and measured barrage of heavy shots like McGregor can dish out.

...even Conor couldn't withstand his own barrage last time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

McGregor via Submission
    Am I the only one who thinks that McGregor will totally dominate the rematch? I'm a huge fan of Nate Diaz, always have been but he's really not as good as some people tend to think he is off the back off the last win.

I know Diaz is notoriously difficult to finish but I'm calling it as a TKO stoppage (for Conor) before the end of the third. Diaz will make the mistake of staying on the feet with McGregor. Conor is going to be fighting smart next time out and I dont think anyone, even Nate Diaz can withstand a sustained and measured barrage of heavy shots like McGregor can dish out.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this. I think Conor got everything wrong going into that first fight and Nate really punished him for it. Conor won't make those same mistakes again and will be a different animal going into the rematch - his cardio level will be much improved, he won't overload on his shots again, and he will be mentally focused on the task ahead. Whether he dominates or not, who knows but I believe it will be a very different fight to the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

I dont think anyone, even Nate Diaz can withstand a sustained and measured barrage of heavy shots like McGregor can dish out.

What are you talking about? Did you see the first fight? That is EXACTLY what Nate Diaz did, he took the type of punches that would floor nearly all FW's, probably some LW's too.

McGregor's only chance to win is a flash KO, he has his left and nothing else....

I expect the fight to go the same way as the first but maybe into 3/4 round if Conor has worked on his cardio, but eventually he will either get out boxed again or end up on the ground and then it's game over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

McGregor's only chance to win is a flash KO

I dunno, a couple more clean lefts & Nate's bleeding would have been a huge issue.

McGregor via Submission
    What are you talking about? Did you see the first fight? That is EXACTLY what Nate Diaz did, he took the type of punches that would floor nearly all FW's, probably some LW's too.

McGregor's only chance to win is a flash KO, he has his left and nothing else....

I expect the fight to go the same way as the first but maybe into 3/4 round if Conor has worked on his cardio, but eventually he will either get out boxed again or end up on the ground and then it's game over again.

Yes of course i saw the first fight. What I am talking about is whether or not Nate Diaz can beat a Conor Mcgregor that fights smart and selects his shots intelligently over 3-5 rounds. I personally dont think so. In the first fight Conor was able to throw bombs for 7 minutes and he gassed so its not EXACTLY what happened at all. Totally different in fact.

Conor McGregor + Cardio + Patience > Nate Diaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    Yes of course i saw the first fight. What I am talking about is whether or not Nate Diaz can beat a Conor Mcgregor that fights smart and selects his shots intelligently over 3-5 rounds. I personally dont think so. In the first fight Conor was able to throw bombs for 7 minutes and he gassed so its not EXACTLY what happened at all. Totally different in fact.

Different Nate this time too.

McGregor via Submission
    Different Nate this time too.

I certainly hope so. I hope both fighters come into it 100% actually to leave no doubt in anyones mind, whatever the result may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Everyone seems to overlook the possibility of Nate making improvements/changes,by fight night he will have had the best part of 6 months to get ready for a fight at 170,he will be so much bigger than Conor the last fight could well look like an excellent fight for Conor.

This time round it could be more Gray Maynard style loss than a win for Conor, either way whether Conor does fight well for a round or two he doesn't have ko power against Nate yeah he was bloodied up but he never looked in trouble or wobbled at any stage and its impossible to imagine in a 5 round fight that Conor can avoid a couple of clean shots from Nate,and we seen he can't take Nates power who will have more power next time around with a camp to prepare for a fight at 170.

McGregor via Submission
    newbbieb wrote: »
    Everyone seems to overlook the possibility of Nate making improvements/changes,by fight night he will have had the best part of 6 months to get ready for a fight at 170,he will be so much bigger than Conor the last fight could well look like an excellent fight for Conor.

This time round it could be more Gray Maynard style loss than a win for Conor, either way whether Conor does fight well for a round or two he doesn't have ko power against Nate yeah he was bloodied up but he never looked in trouble or wobbled at any stage and its impossible to imagine in a 5 round fight that Conor can avoid a couple of clean shots from Nate,and we seen he can't take Nates power,he will have more power next time around with a camp to prepare for a fight at 170.

Nates strikes really only did damage when Conor was already gassing or gassed. Not to mention the fact that Conor offered his chin on a plate for the whole fight.

Head movement, footwork, legs kicks and smart shot selction from COnor makes it a totally different fight.

And I for one would certainly expect BOTH Nate & Conor to make big changes for this fight. I think what people are really overlooking here is not Nates lack of preparation but Conors and Conors ability to improve over Nates. Neither fighter was anywhere near the level of preparedness that they should have been for different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Nates strikes really only did damage when Conor was already gassing or gassed. Not to mention the fact that Conor offered his chin on a plate for the whole fight.

Head movement, footwork, legs kicks and smart shot selction from COnor makes it a totally different fight.

And I for one would certainly expect BOTH Nate & Conor to make big changes for this fight. I think what people are really overlooking here is not Nates lack of preparation but Conors and Conors ability to improve over Nates. Neither fighter was anywhere near the level of preparedness that they should have been for different reasons.

If the fight is at 55 i think all them things are valid and feasible and i would be pumped for this fight but at 170 its so unlikely Conor wins,the reality is a lot of the media we watch/listen in regards this fight is American,Nate is American and they gloss over the size difference sell that Nate is just a LW fighting at WW like Conor.

But thats far from the truth,the jump from 55 to 170 is 15 pounds its the biggest jump other than the jump from LHW to HW.Thats why in boxing there is far more weight classes because it makes a difference.Nate is one of the very biggest at LW,he has 4 or 5 fights at 170 against some legit WWs and went the distance with the beast that is Rory he walks around close to 200 pounds.

If he legit bulked up he could get pretty big,he is not a Paddy Holohan frame no matter how many people try say he is,look at him beside Dana White in them recent pics and in reality with so much time of knowing the fight is at 170 he will have been building himself up not slimming like he usually does to keep closer to the 55,with the biggest fight of his life coming up at 170 he will have been building muscle knowing that he can easily cut from 190 to 170 and completely dwarf Conor who will be walking into the cage at 170 most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    newbbieb wrote: »
    If the fight is at 55 i think all them things are valid and feasible and i would be pumped for this fight but at 170 its so unlikely Conor wins,the reality is a lot of the media we watch/listen in regards this fight is American,Nate is American and they gloss over the size difference sell that Nate is just a LW fighting at WW like Conor.

But thats far from the truth,the jump from 55 to 170 is 15 pounds its the biggest jump other than the jump from LHW to HW.Thats why in boxing there is far more weight classes because it makes a difference.Nate is one of the very biggest at LW,he has 4 or 5 fights at 170 against some legit WWs and went the distance with the beast that is Rory he walks around close to 200 pounds.

If he legit bulked up he could get pretty big,he is not a Paddy Holohan frame no matter how many people try say he is,look at him beside Dana White in them recent pics and in reality with so much time of knowing the fight is at 170 he will have been building himself up not slimming like he usually does to keep closer to the 55,with the biggest fight of his life coming up at 170 he will have been building muscle knowing that he can easily cut from 190 to 170 and completely dwarf Conor who will be walking into the cage at 170 most likely.

at 194 nate weighid in at in around 170 without cutting and not in optimal shape, no way in hell is diaz putting on 20 pounds of muscle in 6 months without being juiced to the gills, and even then thats a hard task! especially when he spends so much time doing a catabolic exercise like cycling! hes going to come in roughly the same size, probably leaner, which is few inches bigger than what conor is, you'd swear he was djs size the way some of you go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Nate was fighting mid tier lightweights for $50k, now he's fighting top bill for 10 times that.
    If anyone thinks he isn't prepared, they haven't been paying attention. This is this biggest fight of his career.

Mellor wrote: »
    His energy, skills and performance are down to years of training, not because he had tofu and beans and training.

Training is only part of it. Energy and performance are effected by diet. Hugely so.

It's not about 'beans and tofu' either as you dismissively suggest. That's just switching one protein source for another. Nate has said that six months out from a fight he eats raw vegan. That ain't beans and rice. The main advatage of the raw vegan diet is that it focuses on carbohydrate (fruit) rather than avoiding it as so many are doing today, even many in high performance sports. Paleo diets are all the rage, have been for quite some time.

Eating like you're competing in a body building competition (which McGregor undoubtedly was) could absolutely contribute to a fighter performing poorly. Almost every single God damn time Conor mentioned food before the fight he was talking about steak and how much of it he was eating and going to eat. Now after the fight he is criticizing how he ate back then, pointing out that his diet is now back on point. That's significant.

Needed far more than a good left to beat Mendes.

That makes no sense. Even the commentators on the fight were saying 'Nate's get beat up'. He very much looked as if one or two more solid punches would take him out. Now I know the Diaz's are renowned for being able to take a beating and yet stay in fights but it was more than that. I think the who 'scar tissue' thing has been exaggerated also. Watched a half a dozen or so of Nate's fights before 196 and I don't recall him ever bleeding that bad before. Lets be honest, Conor thought he had the fight one early in the second. He took his foot off the peddle and started acting if he could just dance around, take Nate's punches, swing a few kicks and then take him out whenever he wanted. That's a mistake he won't be making again.

Not taking anything away from Nate. He caught Conor, he deserves his accolades for that but those circumstances just won't be happening this time round. Conor was training to fight at 155 and so had an eye on his weight. He may have been walking around close to 170 but suddenly 11 days out he found himself in a position when he didn't have to worry about making 155 and so started famously eating 'two breakfasts' and steak and chips meals. Hell of a lot less detrimental to a fighter's training than chilling on a boat in Cabo sipping Tequila would be that's for sure.

As for saying if it ends up on the ground it's game over. That's just nonsense. He was on the floor in the first and it wasn't game over. Judging McGregor's bjj game on what happened when he went to ground in the 2nd is foolish. As also is the criticism of how fast he tapped out. Pointless risking injury when you know you're done. Nate himself tapped out pretty fast himself in the following fight when put in an armbar (12mins in):

You're relentless Cathy I'll give you that,

At what point did Nate look one or two punches away from being finished? you must of been watching a different fight to me,didnt see him wobble once took every shot like a champ.

McGregor via Submission
    You're relentless Cathy I'll give you that,

At what point did Nate look one or two punches away from being finished? you must of been watching a different fight to me,didnt see him wobble once took every shot like a champ.

He was nowhere near being finished thats true but he was was caught with a few beauts to be fair and he certainly felt em no doubt about it.

Next time out if McGregor is more patient and economical with his shots it could be a nasty night for Nate.

He was nowhere near being finished thats true but he was was caught with a few beauts to be fair and he certainly felt em no doubt about it.

Next time out if McGregor is more patient and economical with his shots it could be a nasty night for Nate.

Of course,he landed nicely a number of times cleanly but a lot were grazing him as he was leaning back he wasnt near being finished as Cathy suggested,

He's up against it but no result would surprise me really the way mma has been lately.

McGregor via Submission
    Of course,he landed nicely a number of times cleanly but a lot were grazing him as he was leaning back he wasnt near being finished as Cathy suggested,

He's up against it but no result would surprise me really the way mma has been lately.

If someone had told me 6 months ago that I would be the closest thing to a ''McGregor fanboy'' in a conversation with you.......... LOL ;)

If someone had told me 6 months ago that I would be the closest thing to a ''McGregor fanboy'' in a conversation with you.......... LOL ;)

Still a fanboy dont worry :pac: Just dont like this rematch specially at 170 think Nate is a hard style match up but if anyone was to profit from him losing couldnt pick a better man than Diaz.

Of course,he landed nicely a number of times cleanly but a lot were grazing him as he was leaning back he wasnt near being finished as Cathy suggested

Around when Rogan said "Conor is busting Nate up" towards the end of the first, he looked as if a solid punch or two from Conor and he was done. I think that's why he grabbed one of Conor's kicks so he could take it to the ground as he knew it was only a matter of time before Conor caught him again. Other than the shot that cut Nate, I think he got very lucky avoiding what Conor was throwing but that was really more Conor's fault than anything. In the 2nd, before Nate caught him with that shot, McGregor was very much on top. It was a strange fight in that regard, that the fighter who was pretty much controlling things ended up getting caught. Happens.

Won't happen twice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I don't think Nate was anywhere close to being done. His face was busted up bleeding but I don't think he was in any trouble.

When I saw the fight I thought McGregor was schooling him in the first round but after re-watching a few times it was a lot closer than I thought. Nate was still landing strikes even though he was taking more. Significant strikes in round 1 was 28 to 23 Conor to Nate...not a big gap. Nate was rolling away from most of the shots but in fairness Conor was absorbing Nates counters pretty well too.

Advertisement