Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 2). **Read warning in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Just curious, why do you think Diaz weighs 190lbs? That sounds crazy heavy for a LW fighter. My guess would be there's no more than approx 5lbs between them to be honest. I don't think the weight difference is anywhere close to 20lbs.

He has said it plenty of times about how hard his cut is to 55,why do you think he couldnt make 55 with 2 weeks notice,because he is walking around plus 190 and he will cut to 170 and then rehydrate back up again by fight night and outweigh Conor substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

newbbieb wrote: »
    He has said it plenty of times about how hard his cut is to 55,why do you think he couldnt make 55 with 2 weeks notice,because he is walking around plus 190 and he will cut to 170 and then rehydrate back up again by fight night and outweigh Conor substantially.

I genuinely think you're both over estimating Diaz's weight and underestimating Conor's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

I reckon Conor looks about 210lbs here.. All the belts

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think what you are not getting is that if the fight was at 55 they both would be cutting down to 55 Conor from 170ish diaz from 190ish,but from the weigh in the day before to the fight there is only so much weight they can pack back on in one day and so come fight night they will still be reasonably close in weight.This same logic applies to most fights in the UFC thats one of the reasons you have to be cutting weight to compete,but there will be some disparity in weights but nothing crazy.

But with the fight being at 170 where Conor is cutting nothing and its his walk around weight means that on fight there he could be outweighed by over a stone.
    Diaz wouldn't cut from 190 down to 155. Simply wouldn't happen.
    what you can put back on within 24 hours isn't the limiting factor.

If Diaz, was actually a 190lb WW, then then yeah he could be 190 in the octagon after making weight the day before, verses a 170 lbs McGregor. But Diaz isn't 190lbs, that's the whole point.

At one point Diaz told Dana White he was 200lbs (before the McGregor fight was sign). But afterwards he admitted he lied as he wanted to get a big fight as WW. His also squashes the idea that he was bulking up for WW.
    If you look at his instagram/twitter, you'd see that he was apparently training for a marathon and looks pretty lean. Diaz will havea weight advantage, but it won't be 20lbs or anything like it.
    I would like to try bjj but what are the chances of getting cauliflower ear..
    I've seen guys pick them up within a few weeks, and other guys have perfect ears dispite training for years. It appears to vary person to person. Main thing though, if you do get one, drain it properly and you'll have no issue with deformed ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

I was considering bjj myself.

All this talk of cauliflower ears is making me realise how easily I am put off an idea. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Deadst4r wrote: »
    I was considering bjj myself.

All this talk of cauliflower ears is making me realise how easily I am put off an idea. :pac:
    Lol
    Go for it. You only get cauliflower if you want it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,117 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Gamebred wrote: »
    Of course the mcgregor lawler fight is all about money,its not some miss match though so I dont see why you have a problem with it he has earned the right to fight in what division he wants by ko'ing people I remember the arguement was he doesnt deserve the Aldo fight off beating Siver,them boys arguing are quiet now,

He is really a 155er imo (ideal weight) so you could argue hes only moving up 1 weight class.

He didn't deserve an Aldo fight purely for knocking out Siver, what kind of argument is there to be made for deserving a title shot by beating Siver? Honestly?

He jumped the queue to the big fight for various reasons, Siver is pretty far down on that list.

A fight against Lawlow is a mis-match in the sense that Lawlor eats him alive, of that I am sure. He could do well against some WW's for sure, Lawlor is worth the risk if he has the LW belt, but I see that ending with Lawlor and still

I think he should try for the LW belt first, the time line is ****ed now for that and the big fight at WW at 200 obviously. Conor is a 155er, let him take that belt (if he can obv) first and then think about trying to reach up over his head for that GOAT material.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He didn't deserve an Aldo fight purely for knocking out Siver, what kind of argument is there to be made for deserving a title shot by beating Siver? Honestly?

He jumped the queue to the big fight for various reasons, Siver is pretty far down on that list.

A fight against Lawlow is a mis-match in the sense that Lawlor eats him alive, of that I am sure. He could do well against some WW's for sure, Lawlor is worth the risk if he has the LW belt, but I see that ending with Lawlor and still

I think he should try for the LW belt first, the time line is ****ed now for that and the big fight at WW at 200 obviously. Conor is a 155er, let him take that belt (if he can obv) first and then think about trying to reach up over his head for that GOAT material.

Aldo had already fought every other top 5 fighter at that point. Some multiple times.

Guess what, finishing every fight in the first or second round gets you ahead. He earned his title shot before Siver. Siver was pretty much just an exhibition for Irish fans in Boston.

I agree with that, but given that you said guess what, I think you must believe you are arguing a point against me?

Read again just in case
    me wrote:
    "He jumped the queue to the big fight for various reasons, Siver is pretty far down on that list."

There is literally no argument that can be made for saying beating Siver means you deserve a title shot.

The various other reasons, some of which you highlighted, had a pretty big say in it though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Mellor wrote: »
    Diaz wouldn't cut from 190 down to 155. Simply wouldn't happen.
    what you can put back on within 24 hours isn't the limiting factor.

If Diaz, was actually a 190lb WW, then then yeah he could be 190 in the octagon after making weight the day before, verses a 170 lbs McGregor. But Diaz isn't 190lbs, that's the whole point.

At one point Diaz told Dana White he was 200lbs (before the McGregor fight was sign). But afterwards he admitted he lied as he wanted to get a big fight as WW. His also squashes the idea that he was bulking up for WW.
    If you look at his instagram/twitter, you'd see that he was apparently training for a marathon and looks pretty lean. Diaz will havea weight advantage, but it won't be 20lbs or anything like it.

I've seen guys pick them up within a few weeks, and other guys have perfect ears dispite training for years. It appears to vary person to person. Main thing though, if you do get one, drain it properly and you'll have no issue with deformed ears.

I have seen multiple quotes from Diaz saying he walks around plus 190,RDA cuts from over 190 too.Their cut starts weeks out from the fight they start leaning up gradually.

Diaz has talked constantly about how the cut absolutely destroys him and he wants to move to ww did already once but never never stops talking about how it hurts him.If you want to believe that he is talking like that over a 20 pound cut then go ahead believe it,i can't stop you,but i can tell you a lot of the top fighters these days are cutting 30 pounds and some more,by the next day its widely accepted that they can on average can gain around 15 pounds by fight night.

Diaz got called on short notice and there is quotes everywhere of how he walks around plus 190,if you want to believe he has been in camp since december cutting weight then we will just have to agree to disagree.I believe he probably stayed in shape but there would be no reason to believe he has been dropping weight of his walk around weight this last couple months without any fight on the radar.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

martyos121 wrote: »
    I find stick-beating boring, much prefer a good chainsaw fight. Each to their own though.

Love a bit of kendo

I genuinely think you're both over estimating Diaz's weight and underestimating Conor's.

I hope i am underestimating Conor's weight i really do,i honestly thought Conor would have been above 170 a week before the fight but unless he is lying a few days ago he said he is eating all he can eat and is waking up underweight.

If that is the case he will be outweighed in the cage,its getting kinda tiring arguing about Diaz weight none of us know for sure but if Conor is coming to the fight under 170 or on the button surely we can agree he is giving away at least 10 pounds in weight?

As well as giving away weight he will give away reach and height,this fight is without doubt,far from a walk in the park like everyone seems to think,if you go through their resumes,i mean Nate has fought everyone and has been fighting everyone for a lot longer than Conor.Conor had big reach advantages on everyone he fought till now and everyone is so sure he can step up and take on the longest tallest heaviest fighter he ever faced and will just starch him in round 1,it would be the performance of his career if he does that but i woudn't bet money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I hope i am underestimating Conor's weight i really do,i honestly thought Conor would have been above 170 a week before the fight but unless he is lying a few days ago he said he is eating all he can eat and is waking up underweight.

If that is the case he will be outweighed in the cage,its getting kinda tiring arguing about Diaz weight none of us know for sure but if Conor is coming to the fight under 170 or on the button surely we can agree he is giving away at least 10 pounds in weight?

As well as giving away weight he will give away reach and height,this fight is without doubt,far from a walk in the park like everyone seems to think,if you go through their resumes,i mean Nate has fought everyone and has been fighting everyone for a lot longer than Conor.Conor had big reach advantages on everyone he fought till now and everyone is so sure he can step up and take on the longest tallest heaviest fighter he ever faced and will just starch him in round 1,it would be the performance of his career if he does that but i woudn't bet money on it.

Just picking up on your reply to Mellor. You say Diaz weighs 190 and starts "cutting" a couple of weeks out from the fight. That's not a weight cut. A weight cut starts a few days before the weigh-in to shed water. Sure he may weigh 190 a couple of weeks before the fight but the only weight that matters is what he cuts from a few days before the fight. So my guess is Diaz actually cuts water weight from around 175lbs when he's actually fighting at LW. So at best I would say he will be 180 lbs tonight. I would think Conor, who was prepping for LW would have been cutting from around 175lbs. So the difference isn't that much in my opinion. Altho if what Conor says is true then you may be correct in the 10lb difference.

In terms of how the fight will go I think there are several factors in Conor's favour. He is faster and has such variety to his attack. I think the spinning kicks could be a big factor. Diaz wasn't in camp so that's another disadvantage.
    Round 1 ko may be optimistic as Diaz is durable but I don't see this going any other way than a ko for Conor.

Conor looks to have carried his speed well at the weight and his shoulders look like they have plenty of power in them so he really should have too much for Diaz and will, as long as he doesn't fight too angry. Diaz has certainly riled him more then anybody else to this point.

He wants Diaz angry anyways but he looks to have riled himself up a bit in the process.

The only other time I've seen him slightly rattled is when Aldo took the piss out of his stance at the weigh ins. He did not like that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

If McGregor KO's Nate I think a lot of the doubters within MMA will be shocked. With Nate never being KO'd before, fight camp or no fight camp, it will be a huge statement by McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭xtal191

Gotta love Joanna Jedrzejczyk

https://www.instagram.com/p/BChSu_GE2ma/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Whelo79 wrote: »
    If McGregor KO's Nate I think a lot of the doubters within MMA will be shocked. With Nate never being KO'd before, fight camp or no fight camp, it will be a huge statement by McGregor.

Tbh I think conors gone from being a fella that's all talk to a fighter everyone expects to win a bit like Anderson. He has proved himself and I used be his biggest doubter.RDA would have bigger test. If he gets shot at Lawler I expect conor to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

dave1982 wrote: »
    Tbh I think conors gone from being a fella that's all talk to a fighter everyone expects to win a bit like Anderson. He has proved himself and I used be his biggest doubter.RDA would have bigger test. If he gets shot at Lawler I expect conor to win.

RDA would definitely have been a bigger test alright, no doubt. I'm talking about McGregor winning by clean KO however, as opposed to a ref stoppage/TKO. A win by the this would resonate a lot more with people within the mma scene than it would with the casual fan.

Isn't Aldo the only person Conor's KO'd in the UFC? Trying to recall others but the rest were TKO's afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Is anyone else worried about Connor's mental state of mind going into this fight?

A source close to the camp informed me that he spent most the week leading up to the fight on catte ranches enquiring about steaks. It doesn't seem like he is taking Diaz too seriously.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Lukker- wrote: »
    Isn't Aldo the only person Conor's KO'd in the UFC? Trying to recall others but the rest were TKO's afaik.

Poirier was out for a few seconds (milliseconds) if I recall correctly. One of Conor's follow up punches bounced his head off the canvas and that woke him up

EDIT: Second last punch seems to be the one I'm one about

Conor%2BMcGregor%2Bvs%2BDustin%2BPoirier%2B2%2B(2).gif

WarZ wrote: »
    Is anyone else worried about Connor's mental state of mind going into this fight?

A source close to the camp informed me that he spent most the week leading up to the fight on catte ranches enquiring about steaks. It doesn't seem like he is taking Diaz too seriously.

Wouldn't pay it much mind tbh, these stories come out every single fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Lukker- wrote: »

...and what a KO and person to KO

Wouldn't pay it much mind tbh, these stories come out every single fight.

I am just extraordinarily worried. He should be concentrating on his training at this juncture but he seems to swanning around Nevada going from butcher to butcher looking for the best cut of steak.

Obviously the fighters have down time but this steak obsession could cost him the fight. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Everybody becomes a psychological expert the week Conor fights,this is nothing new to either guy its a fight at the end of the day skills will win out in the end here neither are mentally weak.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Everybody becomes a psychological expert the week Conor fights,this is nothing new to either guy its a fight at the end of the day skills will win out in the end here neither are mentally weak.

This obsession with steak is something new though. Maybe the move to a higher weight division has prompted it. At the end of the day hard work and skill will pay off, not a Kobe steak.

If Connor thinks steak is the key to unlocking Diaz then he is mistaken.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I'm a doubter and to me this just feels like another exhibition bout, top wrestlers and bjj fighters are who we want to see him beat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

WarZ wrote: »
    This obsession with steak is something new though. Maybe the move to a higher weight division has prompted it. At the end of the day hard work and skill will pay off, not a Kobe steak.

If Connor thinks steak is the key to unlocking Diaz then he is mistaken.

Please tell me you are just taking the piss.

After the last debacle where people were losing their minds over him doing a nightclub appearance 11 weeks before the Aldo fight (11!), you just can't be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I'm a doubter and to me this just feels like another exhibition bout, top wrestlers and bjj fighters are who we want to see him beat

Diaz is a black belt, as were Aldo and Brandao :confused:

I'm sure you're already aware of Mendes but presumably you're in the "full camp Mendes" grouping so not much point bringing that up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement