Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Surely if they kept their faces white and wore that gear they would just look stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

The problem with blackface is that it's worn by white people to look like a black person whether that's a movie character or celebrity or what not, OR to look like a minstrel or gollywog but they always look like caricatures of black people so it is a bit of a piss-take.

A white and a black guy could don suits and wigs and toy guns and go to a dress up party as Vince and Jules from Pulp Fiction, but if a white guy tried to black up and imporsonate Jules he'd look ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm confused, is it racist to be black now?

Wasn't it always?

Let me checks my ismpedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

FortySeven wrote: »
    Look, the commenters in thee After Hours board are certainly not those who should be relied upon for deciding what is and isn't racist. After all, they're frequenters of the After Hours board, for god sake.

I disagree. Affable bunch in here, well travelled and socially savvy.

Fell right into the trap there, son. And yet all of them here are closet racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fell right into the trap there, son. And yet all of them here are closet racists.

Quit your attitude or don't post in this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

FortySeven wrote: »
    I disagree. Affable bunch in here, well travelled and socially savvy.

Sometimes AH reminds me of this

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/a/ab/Simpsons_angry_mob.png/revision/latest?cb=20070619165229

It's fairly universally accepted that dressing in black-face trivialises the experience of Blacks, who until relatively recently were treated as sub-human. Perhaps it's not racist, but it's certainly grossly inconsiderate and knowingly provocative.

In America maybe but people seem to forget that we aren't in furking USA

I like it when people call me son. Makes me feel young again. I may even attempt to masturbate with my new found youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

blackwhim_2.jpg

LINK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

That fb post has to be satire surely? Else she done f*cked up with the 'white slavery' and 'fake Jews' comments.

I don't think blackface is harmless, or funny, or right, in any context, I cringe so hard when I see it I nearly hurt myself. But it's hard to pick who's annoying me more here....

• Advertisement

blackwhim_2.jpg

LINK.

A link to what?

A link to what?

Your proof, Everyone knows what a mistral looks like.

Clearly not, that there is a minstrel. :)

A link to what?

At a wish not to labour this any further - what exactly are you looking for proof of and a link to?

It's fairly universally accepted that dressing in black-face trivialises the experience of Blacks, who until relatively recently were treated as sub-human. Perhaps it's not racist, but it's certainly grossly inconsiderate and knowingly provocative.

In America maybe but people seem to forget that we aren't in furking USA

I don't think blackface stops being offensive when you leave the USofA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Cool Runnings costumes ok and the Valderrama one is well done.. but how do you defend the guys whose costumes consist just of black/brownface and a tshirt and jeans? Or black Roddy Piper?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

those gentlemen look like they are having fun

can't have that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

I pity the fool who wears a Mr T costume.

Shut up, fool! :p

At a wish not to labour this any further - what exactly are you looking for proof of and a link to?

very obtuse, our history of black face.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Offensive or racist? It is possible for it to be one but not the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Nothing racist or wrong with people dressing up as characters from a film, show, etc.

Otherwise I will be outraged and triggered when a black person dresses up as Albert Einstein or Captain Kirk, bla, bla, bla.

People just look for reasons to be offended the get attention online.

News at 11 apartheid in south Africa therefore means white people everywhere have a history of it......

very obtuse, our history of black face.

Irish people consume(d) English media, do you really need a link to be provided for that? There was even a bloody Lyons tea advert.

What does 'our history of black face' even mean? That for someone to feel offended (or something to be deemed racist) that the nation must have had some documented past relating to it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nothing racist or wrong with people dressing up as characters from a film, show, etc.

Otherwise I will be outraged and triggered when a black person dresses up as Albert Einstein or Captain Kirk, bla, bla, bla.

But you can see some lads clearly didn't dress up beyond the blackface

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭timmyntc

As an ethnic orange-rock-man I'm offended by people dressing up as The Thing from Fantastic Four.

News at 11 apartheid in south Africa therefore means white people everywhere have a history of it......

So its a bit like original sin then?

Irish people consume(d) English media, do you really need a link to be provided for that? There was even a bloody Lyons tea advert.

What does 'our history of black face' even mean? That for someone to feel offended (or something to be deemed racist) that the nation must have had some documented past relating to it?

So that's a no to providing a history of black face grand so.

Both. I don't think I'd take kindly to something telling me I shouldn't feel offended by something. And blackface is racist.

But you can see some lads clearly didn't dress up beyond the blackface

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/creepypasta/images/7/7d/Blackface.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120115051854

Must have missed them in the picture.

• Advertisement

the lady who posted on twitter has the right to take offence. Just like the people who read that post have the right to think thats its all nonsense.

Advertisement