Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I'd never do it, it's bound to get the attention of every PC warrior in the city.

"I'm not racist, but..."?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Yawn, did you even look at the photos? Only two or 3 dressed up as the cool runnings guys

The image is appearing as broken for me on the link. (Thank my work internet policy) I'm going on the text in the article at the moment. They seem to be conflating cool runnings with the actual minstrel stereotype from my reading of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Sure why not call them 'n*****s' while they're at it, just having the #banter on a session, right?

Whatever hypothetical scenario suits you timmy. Fuel for your fire.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The image is appearing as broken for me on the link. (Thank my work internet policy) I'm going on the text in the article at the moment. They seem to be conflating cool runnings with the actual minstrel stereotype from my reading of it ?

Some lads dressed up as cool runnings, one guy as the old colombian footballer Valderrama which I actually found pretty good, but a lot of lads are just wearing normal clothes, jeans and shirt with a blackface..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think blackface should automatically be considered racist. It's only racist in the context of Americans using minstrels to steal black culture without having to deal with black people. But if a white person likes mike tyson and wants to dress up as their hero at a fancy dress, it's not racist, it was done out of respect and admiration, so it's not racist. People will get upset of course, some people will see the guy in blackface and just jump to the conclusion that rather than that person being a fan they really wore the costume to upset other people and be racist. That's as much that persons fault as the person wearing blackface. Some humans are black, we have to pussy foot around that fact still.

I'd never do it, it's bound to get the attention of every PC warrior in the city.

Mike Tyson the bald boxer with the big huge tattoo on his face? Yeah, no way to dress as him without blacking up....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I think we need to stop people crying wolf. Black face is a specific thing. Having a black face is not "Black Face."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is White Chicks II still in production?

Sure why not call them 'n*****s' while they're at it, just having the #banter on a session, right?

Whatever hypothetical scenario suits you timmy. Fuel for your fire.

You're espousing the intentions of a group of lads on a session (who were wearing racially insensitive costumes) by reading an online article (and not even being able to see the pictures.)

I think we need to stop people crying wolf. Black face is a specific thing. Having a black face is not "Black Face."

Blackface - not ok?

Dressing as a member race and painting your face while comically demonstrating the stereotypes - ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Blackface - not ok?

Dressing as a member race and painting your face while comically demonstrating the stereotypes - ok?

what stereotypes were displayed in the pics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Blackface - not ok?

I'm sure you can backup that statement.

Blackface - not ok?

what stereotypes were displayed in the pics?

For a start, dreadlocks. Did any of the Jamaican bobsled team of 1988 have dreadlocks? If they aren't imitating them, then they are imitating Cool Runnings, and only one of those had dreadlocks, so I suppose you could say, in defence of the culturally insensitives, that the two blokes are dressed as the same person.

For a start, dreadlocks. Did any of the Jamaican bobsled team of 1988 have dreadlocks? If they aren't imitating them, then they are imitating Cool Runnings, and only one of those had dreadlocks, so I suppose you could say, in defence of the culturally insensitives, that the two blokes are dressed as the same person.

is that it? As i doubt anybody could even knows who the real guys were it is safe to assume they are imitating the guys in the film. And the biggest problem you can find is that two of them have dreadlocks? Its almost like you are looking for things to be offended about.

Blackface - not ok?

I'm sure you can backup that statement.

I don't believe it's a massive logical leap to think that people willingly dressing like that would demonstrate the stereotypes while dressed like that. I could be wrong, very very wrong, but I reckon I'm not. And given the costumes are already trying to do that, then even if they didn't, the point is still valid.

Any thoughts on the two questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

That about sums it up.

Dressing up as a specific black person and darkening your skin to complete the costume is not racist. It might be offensive; that's down to the viewer. But everything seems to be offensive to someone these days.

Dressing up in 'blackface', is a whole other thing and is straight up racist.

I don't believe it's a massive logical leap to think that people willingly dressing like that would demonstrate the stereotypes while dressed like that. I could be wrong, very very wrong, but I reckon I'm not. And given the costumes are already trying to do that, then even if they didn't, the point is still valid.

so now you are stereotyping the guys in the pictures. you are assuming that their motives are racist. i think my irony meter has exploded.

is that it? As i doubt anybody could even knows who the real guys were it is safe to assume they are imitating the guys in the film. And the biggest problem you can find is that two of them have dreadlocks? Its almost like you are looking for things to be offended about.

No, that's not the biggest problem I have. And I'm not looking to be offended. I'm embarrassed for those blokes and can empathise with those who might be offended and wish they didn't have to witness the #bantz those guys were having.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It's also funny how the usual special snowflakes only have a problem with the lads dressed up as characters from a movie and who may or may not be in fact be racists but not with the SJW muppet who posted this on facebook and who really seems to have a problem with the "fake Jews" :rolleyes:

so now you are stereotyping the guys in the pictures. you are assuming that their motives are racist. i think my irony meter has exploded.

I never said their motives were racist. I don't think anyone has said that. They might be racist, but nobody knows. What they are doing can be considered racist.

No, that's not the biggest problem I have. And I'm not looking to be offended. I'm embarrassed for those blokes and can empathise with those who might be offended and wish they didn't have to witness the #bantz those guys were having.

you have no idea what "bantz" these guys are having. you have no idea what anybody witnessed. you have extrapolated all this from a few still photographs.

• Advertisement

I never said their motives were racist. I don't think anyone has said that. They might be racist, but nobody knows. What they are doing can be considered racist.

why? they seem to be dressing up as a member of a different ethnicity. Everything else you have constructed from whole cloth.

you have no idea what "bantz" these guys are having. you have no idea what anybody witnessed. you have extrapolated all this from a few still photographs.

Hold on, are the still pictures not enough to know what somebody will have witnessed or do we need to have personally witnessed it to comment? Is that valid for group of still image?

Hold on, are the still pictures not enough to know what somebody will have witnessed or do we need to have personally witnessed it to comment? Is that valid for group of still image?

the witnessed a group of guys dressed up as characters from a film.

why? they seem to be dressing up as a member of a different ethnicity. Everything else you have constructed from whole cloth.

"They seem" or "they are"?

And dressing up as a member of a different ethnicity can be considered racist. Whether we disagree on that is irrelevant.

the witnessed a group of guys dressed up as characters from a film.

Exactly. Thanks.

Exactly. Thanks.

and from that you have extrapolated so much more.

Exactly. Thanks.

Nope. I have not.

Why do you think they all decided to dress up as black characters (bear in mind that there are more than movie characters there, there are sports people too)? Is it purely coincidental?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Nope. I have not.

Why do you think they all decided to dress up as black characters (bear in mind that there are more than movie characters there, there are sports people too)? Is it purely coincidental?

Why does it matter? Surely there's no difference between black or white?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

You can't be going and using facts and logic on a situation like this. A special snowflake with Jewish issues got triggered!

TRIGGERED!

The internet MUST BE OUTRAGED!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Nope. I have not.

Perhaps they picked a theme. who knows. why assume their motives are racist?

Advertisement