Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

FortySeven wrote: »
    I just farted.

I am incensed. :mad:

In more ways than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's fairly universally accepted that dressing in black-face trivialises the experience of Blacks, who until relatively recently were treated as sub-human. Perhaps it's not racist, but it's certainly grossly inconsiderate and knowingly provocative.

Universally accepted once the american media decided it was verboten

Sure ya get english stags wandering around dublin dressed up as leprechauns, people just shake their heads and get on with their day

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I just farted.

Hope you didn't follow thru :(

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

It's fairly universally accepted that dressing in black-face trivialises the experience of Blacks

Not by me it's not.

This is the bullsh*t we need to stamp out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Dr Strange wrote: »
    I am incensed. :mad:

In more ways than one.

Me too! <snip> cultural appropriation of a blonde hairdo is utterly outrageous! How does she seem to think that's ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

More bollocks from joe.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

kfallon wrote: »
    Hope you didn't follow thru :(

How dare you question the veracity of my fart processes? Outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭timmyntc

"OP in After Hours causes outrage by posting joe.ie again"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

http://www.joe.ie/news/pics-group-of-men-in-dublin-cause-outrage-by-wearing-blackface/553540

A group of men in Dublin have caused anger and offense by dressing up in 'blackface' costumes while drinking in the city

why is this an issue if they are dressing up as characters from films. People dress up at Halloween in all types of costumes like Mr T but racist card never used. This world needs to take a chill pill

By "this world" you really mean a random facebook poster who had her post picked up by joe.ie

This is so insignificant I am outraged. I am outraged by your outrage at some random womans outrage. We are in an outrage spiral and I dont know what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I just farted.

Loud or silent but deadly?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what's worse.

The blackface thing, the people taking offence to it or the ones seething with anger that people would take offence to it.

Main theme of the internet these days it seems.
    And you've gone one step further.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Talk about the thread subject or the article but please don't post personal information

So who are these fake Jews she is talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Bambi wrote: »
    It's fairly universally accepted that dressing in black-face trivialises the experience of Blacks, who until relatively recently were treated as sub-human. Perhaps it's not racist, but it's certainly grossly inconsiderate and knowingly provocative.

Universally accepted once the american media decided it was verboten

Sure ya get english stags wandering around dublin dressed up as leprechauns, people just shake their heads and get on with their day

Aye, those Leprechauns really suffered under the oppressive fist of the white man.

Loud or silent but deadly?

A thunderclap of concentrated nastiness.

A thunderclap of concentrated nastiness.

Like this?

http://i.imgur.com/lTXDR1J.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If it's a lazy generalisation or stereotype (like original blackface) then I'd have a problem with it.

But putting on black face paint as part of a costume to look more like a celebrity who happens to be black is not racist.

If it's a lazy generalisation or stereotype (like original blackface) then I'd have a problem with it.

But putting on black face paint as part of a costume to look more like a celebrity who happens to be black is not racist.

Yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Err black face is an American thing. We don't really have a history of it. Its just a costume here.

Err black face is an American thing. We don't really have a history of it. Its just a costume here.
    Err, no. See across the Irish Sea for examples in their media which were heavily consumed here.

• Advertisement

Yes it is.

No it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Err, no. See across the Irish Sea for examples in their media which were heavily consumed here.

Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

So who are these fake Jews she is talking about?

Something something Israel I imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Yes it is.

No it isn't.

Look, the commenters in thee After Hours board are certainly not those who should be relied upon for deciding what is and isn't racist. After all, they're frequenters of the After Hours board, for god sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

stunmer wrote: »
    Not by me it's not.

This is the bullsh*t we need to stamp out.

It's just not up to you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm confused, is it racist to be black now?

Link.
    blackwhim_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

can rule out Mr T or Michael Jackson too

I pity the fool who wears a Mr T costume.

• Advertisement

Look, the commenters in thee After Hours board are certainly not those who should be relied upon for deciding what is and isn't racist. After all, they're frequenters of the After Hours board, for god sake.

I disagree. Affable bunch in here, well travelled and socially savvy.

Advertisement