Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

apparently butthurt is a homosexual slur. as a currently non-practicing (but not by choice) member of that community i wasnt aware it was. is there an online guide somewhere that people can consult?

A non practicing slur? You weirdo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

For a start, dreadlocks. Did any of the Jamaican bobsled team of 1988 have dreadlocks? If they aren't imitating them, then they are imitating Cool Runnings, and only one of those had dreadlocks, so I suppose you could say, in defence of the culturally insensitives, that the two blokes are dressed as the same person.

You know dreadlocks are not anyone's culture yeah ? In the past it was from not washing the hair till it got matted and 2 it's a hairstyle. Jesus H....

"anyone is culture" - I like it.

Feel free to answer those two questions... Still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Sorry to correct you but it is considered raciest. There's a huge lack of knowledge & understanding in Ireland about racism. So far 30 people has thanked your post. As a result we are a pretty raciest nation.

Back in my parents day you had Al johnson doing the Blackface & in my childhood you had the Black & white Minstrels . Lyons Tea actually had Blackface cartoon minstrels in ads. Things were different then but we are supposed to have grown & developed since. These things haven't been socially acceptable since the 80s. Anyway you won't see Black & white Minstrels or anything else like that on mainstream TV because it is considered Raciest. There is history with Blackfaces. It is up there with the N word & the swastika.

they are not wearing "blackface". if there dressed like the black and white minstrels then i would agree with you. but they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

WTF is a Fake Jew ???

Gonna make a guess.

judaism is of middle eastern origins, so if you're jewish and white you're a "fake" jew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sorry to correct you but it is considered raciest. There's a huge lack of knowledge & understanding in Ireland about racism. So far 30 people has thanked your post. As a result we are a pretty raciest nation.

Back in my parents day you had Al johnson doing the Blackface & in my childhood you had the Black & white Minstrels . Lyons Tea actually had Blackface cartoon minstrels in ads. Things were different then but we are supposed to have grown & developed since. These things haven't been socially acceptable since the 80s. Anyway you won't see Black & white Minstrels or anything else like that on mainstream TV because it is considered Raciest. There is history with Blackfaces. It is up there with the N word & the swastika.

Who Was doing "Black Face."

• Advertisement

FortySeven wrote: »
    Homosexual slurs?

apparently butthurt is a homosexual slur. as a currently non-practicing (but not by choice) member of that community i wasnt aware it was. is there an online guide somewhere that people can consult?

Not that I can find in work, if you get me. But, it is. Don't "Take in the ass" bro' haha, isn't it?

I'm fake Irish having lived here so long... Who do I hand myself into for being Racist ? :pac:

i'm sure they will be opening sjw re-education centers any day now.

Not that I can find in work, if you get me. But, it is. Don't "Take in the ass" bro' haha, isn't it?

And if I'm taking in the ass from a woman?

FortySeven wrote: »

And if I'm taking in the ass from a woman?

I don't think proponents of the phrase can take logical leaps like that.

i'm sure they will be opening sjw re-education centers any day now.

I hope WE'LL be opening reeducation centres for the sjws soon.

• Advertisement

I don't think proponents of the phrase can take logical leaps like that.

How very exclusive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

one of the others was dressed as carlos valdaramma. I presumed the others were also dressed as famous black people. but then i wasnt looking for something to be offended by.

Yeah sure, that's what you weren't looking for alright. But what do you think anyway, is dressing up simply as a black person an acceptable costume?

I honestly think you've just made that up. It has nothing at all to do with homosexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

There's a huge lack of knowledge & understanding in Ireland about racism. So far 30 people has thanked your post. As a result we are a pretty raciest nation.

How did you come to that conclusion, completely wrong.
    There is history with Blackfaces. It is up there with the N word & the swastika.

Yet you can buy a nazi outfit at any irish halloween store. You can also buy an outfit of a priests costume with an alter boy stuck to the front. Should be ban that as it is offensive to Catholics. If a person was dressed as minstrel that could be offensive as they were trying to act out a stereotypical role, but what if a white person wanted to dress up as Obama? Muhammad Ali?

What about black people who dress up as white people? Nick Cannon for his album made himself a white 19 year old teenager. No mass outrage over that.

A mate of mine who is from Senegal, dressed up as 'Agent 47' at a party last year. Got a fake white bald head and used white face paint. No one thought he was been racist as he was simply dressed as an assassin from a terrible movie but good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Who Was doing "Black Face."

The guys in the pictures with their faces painted black. The guys the thread is about. With the black. On the face. Where are you getting confused?
    They aren't "dressed up as another racial group". They are dressed up as specific individuals who are of a different 'racial group'. There's no display of prejudice or discrimination; they're not stereotyping black people. It's not racism because words have meanings and what they're doing doesn't fall under that one.

Look at the guy in the white t-shirt in the bottom right picture. What individual is he dressed up as? When he was thinking 'oh I'll have a bit of harmless fun by paying respectful homage to this person I admire, I sure hope I don't offend anyone doing this, I'm certainly not trying to' what person was he thinking of.

These guys were either deliberately trying to offend, or dense to a incredible (literally) degree, or they actually just got here in their time machine. People going on about people "getting offended on black people's behalf" (or y'know, agreeing with some of what the black woman who posted the pictures said) should stop being offended and outraged on these guys behalf, they most likely went out with the intention of pissing people off because they think that's good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

they are not wearing "blackface". if there dressed like the black and white minstrels then i would agree with you. but they're not.

I understand that you might only know about the black and white minstrels but it's much bigger than that. For starters the whole idea behind blackface was so black men weren't being employed as entertainers. White men dressed up as black men to stop them working. It was part of the whites only toilets, restaurants etc. That's what the black face represents. Racism & discrimination.
    As I said there much more history to black face then most people here seem to know.
    I was on another thread last night about racism & don't want to get a name for banging the same drum all the time.

The guys in the pictures with their faces painted black. The guys the thread is about. With the black. On the face. Where are you getting confused?

that is not "blackface".

When did this become a thing?

When did this become a thing?

Today apparently. Be gone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

These guys were either deliberately trying to offend, or dense to a incredible (literally) degree, or they actually just got here in their time machine.
    I don't think you can make that assertion. Maybe you're right but I've been to plenty of fancy dress parties over the past 20 years in small towns where people will paint their faces black to mimic anyone from Muhammad Ali to BA, it's been going on and is going on throughout the rest of the country for decades. Muhammad Ali was black, being a black athlete was a huge part of his identity, I think it would be wrong to ignore such a huge part of who he was because some white people think it's offensive. A white guy dressed a boxer is just a generic boxer dude. The best fancy dresses have people getting into the character they're dressed as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Just looked at the facebook thread about this, from the original source.

She is really doing herself no favours with some of her responses. Lot of anger in that!!!!

Edit: Wow, that whole page reads like something from the USA

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think you can make that assertion. Maybe you're right but I've been to plenty of fancy dress parties over the past 20 years in small towns where people will paint their faces black to mimic anyone from Muhammad Ali to BA, it's been going on and is going on throughout the rest of the country for decades. Muhammad Ali was black, being a black athlete was a huge part of his identity, I think it would be wrong to ignore such a huge part of who he was because some white people think it's offensive. A white guy dressed a boxer is just a generic boxer dude. The best fancy dresses have people getting into the character they're dressed as.

I would have too back in the 90s, and I'd agree that often it has been done out of innocence/ignorance rather than a desire to offend. I just very much doubt that's the case for lads that age out drinking in Dublin, who were apparently laughing in the face of the people (including the black woman who posted the pictures of them) who called them up on it.

And with the Muhammed Ali thing, yes his race was a big part of his identity, he did a lot for civil rights and black pride. I don't think choosing not to black up if you dress up as him is ignoring that part of his identity, it's honouring it.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think you can make that assertion. Maybe you're right but I've been to plenty of fancy dress parties over the past 20 years in small towns where people will paint their faces black to mimic anyone from Muhammad Ali to BA...

In fairness, she identified an either/or, they are either trying to offend or just too dumb to realise it might cause offence.

Would you think of blacking up?

that is not "blackface".

What colour are their faces? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its similar to waving the Southern US rebel flag in Ireland.

Its offensive, but also understandable that people in Ireland dont get it. Yet. But its still offensive and there's little point in trying to argue that it isnt. The world is getting smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

In fairness, she identified an either/or, they are either trying to offend or just too dumb to realise it might cause offence.

Would you think of blacking up?
    No, I wouldn't go to that kind of effort for a fancy dress. I also wouldn't do it because I know some people would use it as an excuse to start a fight.

I think there's more than two options for why people do this kind of thing. Someone might like to dress up as Muhammad Ali because they like and respect him and will be completely in character for the whole event.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I can't say I'm too impressed with this individuals appropriation of northern european blond hair

Very inappropriate etc

How did you come to that conclusion, completely wrong.

Read the comments here & other threads. Most Irish people wouldn't know what racism is if it hit them in the face. There's a lot more to racism than videos of kids pointing fingers at black people on the underground saying ******, ******, ******. Look at how we treat travellers. We can't even get that right & they are Irish.

I understand that you might only know about the black and white minstrels but it's much bigger than that. For starters the whole idea behind blackface was so black men weren't being employed as entertainers. White men dressed up as black men to stop them working. It was part of the whites only toilets, restaurants etc. That's what the black face represents. Racism & discrimination.
    As I said there much more history to black face then most people here seem to know.
    I was on another thread last night about racism & don't want to get a name for banging the same drum all the time.

dont patronise me. i'm aware of the history. But they are not wearing "blackface" so the history is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

dont patronise me. i'm aware of the history. But they are not wearing "blackface" so the history is irrelevant.

What is your definition of blackface? Is it the ones in the dictionaries? Or does someone have to be singing Mammy on a tv in the 50s for it to count?

Advertisement