Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

FortySeven wrote: »
    Nope. I have not.

Why do you think they all decided to dress up as black characters (bear in mind that there are more than movie characters there, there are sports people too)? Is it purely coincidental?

Why does it matter? Surely there's no difference between black or white?

Ok, lets leave it at that, so. 10+ blokes on a stag/session have coincidentally dressed up as characters/sports people from another race. One in which it is required that they apply black paint to their faces and they are completely unaware of any racially insensitive connotations this may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

great, now i have that song in my head.

Ok, lets leave it at that, so. 10+ blokes on a stag/session have coincidentally dressed up as characters/sports people from another race. One in which it is required that they apply black paint to their faces and they are completely unaware of any racially insensitive connotations this may have.

if you see racism everywhere perhaps the problem might be with how you are looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mike Tyson the bald boxer with the big huge tattoo on his face? Yeah, no way to dress as him without blacking up....
    Yeah, you could leave it at that, but I still don't see anything wrong with matching your skin colour just so people don't have to guess. There's nothing wrong with black skin, it only seems inappropriate because of the current climate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

the witnessed a group of guys dressed up as characters from a film.

Did you even look at the photos? Doesnt seem like you did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If that's true what will the SWJ's get all butthurt about :eek:

Won't someone please think of the SJW's !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

http://www.joe.ie/news/pics-group-of-men-in-dublin-cause-outrage-by-wearing-blackface/553540

A group of men in Dublin have caused anger and offense by dressing up in 'blackface' costumes while drinking in the city.

why is this an issue if they are dressing up as characters from films. People dress up at Halloween in all types of costumes like Mr T but racist card never used. This world needs to take a chill pill

If its fine for people to slap on skin lightening cremes, then why is darkening your face unacceptable?

PC fascism at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Looks to me like they had an idea but had some face paint left over so some other lads joined in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It might be offensive to some, but it certainly isn't racist. Your one who wrote the Facebook post would want to take a look at herself.

Why isn't it racist to dress up as another racial group? You might want to take a look at yourself!

Did you even look at the photos? Doesnt seem like you did

i did. what did you see that i missed?

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Why isn't it racist to dress up as another racial group? You might want to take a look at yourself!

Why is it racist?

Venom wrote: »

If that's true what will the SWJ's get all butthurt about :eek:

Won't someone please think of the SJW's !!!!

Oh, we're onto the homosexual slurs now. Time to exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

A bunch of lads who are probably thick as pig s*** decided to paint their faces black and walk around Dublin. They got abused the entire day, I doubt the idiots will do it again. Lesson learned for most of them.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    http://www.joe.ie/news/pics-group-of-men-in-dublin-cause-outrage-by-wearing-blackface/553540

A group of men in Dublin have caused anger and offense by dressing up in 'blackface' costumes while drinking in the city.

why is this an issue if they are dressing up as characters from films. People dress up at Halloween in all types of costumes like Mr T but racist card never used. This world needs to take a chill pill

If its fine for people to slap on skin lightening cremes, then why is darkening your face unacceptable?

Lamb of divine.
    Nope. I have not.

Why do you think they all decided to dress up as black characters (bear in mind that there are more than movie characters there, there are sports people too)? Is it purely coincidental?

Perhaps they picked a theme. who knows. why assume their motives are racist?

What theme is that they have picked?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

i did. what did you see that i missed?

That only about 2 out of a big group are actually dressed up as cool runnings characters and some are just wearing normal clothes with a blackface. How did you miss it?

Complete eejits.

Punishment enough must be life with their brainpower.

That only about 2 out of a big group are actually dressed up as cool runnings characters and some are just wearing normal clothes with a blackface. How did you miss it?

one of the others was dressed as carlos valdaramma. I presumed the others were also dressed as famous black people. but then i wasnt looking for something to be offended by.

Homosexual slurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

CruelCoin wrote: »

In this case don't you mean...

...PC facism?

*runs*

Homosexual slurs?

Yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

For a start, dreadlocks. Did any of the Jamaican bobsled team of 1988 have dreadlocks? If they aren't imitating them, then they are imitating Cool Runnings, and only one of those had dreadlocks, so I suppose you could say, in defence of the culturally insensitives, that the two blokes are dressed as the same person.

You know dreadlocks are not anyone's culture yeah ? In the past it was from not washing the hair till it got matted and 2 it's a hairstyle. Jesus H....

Homosexual slurs?

apparently butthurt is a homosexual slur. as a currently non-practicing (but not by choice) member of that community i wasnt aware it was. is there an online guide somewhere that people can consult?

Venom wrote: »
    It's also funny how the usual special snowflakes only have a problem with the lads dressed up as characters from a movie and who may or may not be in fact be racists but not with the SJW muppet who posted this on facebook and who really seems to have a problem with the "fake Jews" :rolleyes:

WTF is a Fake Jew ???

WTF is a Fake Jew ???

i'm still trying to work that one out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Lux23 wrote: »

They aren't "dressed up as another racial group". They are dressed up as specific individuals who are of a different 'racial group'. There's no display of prejudice or discrimination; they're not stereotyping black people. It's not racism because words have meanings and what they're doing doesn't fall under that one.

apparently butthurt is a homosexual slur. as a currently non-practicing (but not by choice) member of that community i wasnt aware it was. is there an online guide somewhere that people can consult?

Not sure if it's a homosexual reference (it could mean spanked like a kid).

Either way "butthurt" is one of those ugly fratboy type expressions.

Not sure if it's a homosexual reference (it could mean spanked like a kid).

Either way "butthurt" is one of those ugly fratboy type expressions.

its an ugly americanism certainly. but i dont see it as a homosexual slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It might be offensive to some, but it certainly isn't racist. Your one who wrote the Facebook post would want to take a look at herself.

Sorry to correct you but it is considered raciest. There's a huge lack of knowledge & understanding in Ireland about racism. So far 30 people has thanked your post. As a result we are a pretty raciest nation.

Back in my parents day you had Al johnson doing the Blackface & in my childhood you had the Black & white Minstrels . Lyons Tea actually had Blackface cartoon minstrels in ads. Things were different then but we are supposed to have grown & developed since. These things haven't been socially acceptable since the 80s. Anyway you won't see Black & white Minstrels or anything else like that on mainstream TV because it is considered Raciest. There is history with Blackfaces. It is up there with the N word & the swastika.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You know dreadlocks are not anyone's culture yeah ? In the past it was from not washing the hair till it got matted and 2 it's a hairstyle. Jesus H....

Ancient Greeks had dreads at some point I believe

• Advertisement

i'm still trying to work that one out as well.

I'm fake Irish having lived here so long... Who do I hand myself into for being Racist ? :pac:

Advertisement