Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It might be offensive to some, but it certainly isn't racist. Your one who wrote the Facebook post would want to take a look at herself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

People need to stop reacting to this sort of sh*te with histrionics and "outrage". Ignoring them would be a much better option as it starves these cretins of their oxygen. Alas...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There goes my hulk costume for Halloween, don't want to be called a racist for 'greenfacing' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

kfallon wrote: »
    There goes my hulk costume for Halloween, don't want to be called a racist for 'greenfacing' :(

can rule out Mr T or Michael Jackson too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That touristy kip of a bar has a "neat dress essential", sign on it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Its gas reading the facebook post, you hear people retorting about "incitement to violence", yet the facebook poster wants to smack one of them, talk about a contradiction.....

She goes on to say "Not even the fake Jews are this dense."

Whats that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

can rule out Mr T or Michael Jackson too

Michael Jackson done "whiteface" and nobody called him racist.....although he had bigger problems :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

People who want to be offended will be offended

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Which bar was it btw, can't access FB or Twitter in work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

But...........why? Was it for a stag or something?

What does she mean by this?
    Any idiot who uses Irish people as examples of white slavery should drown in the freaking liffey

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

kfallon wrote: »
    Which bar was it btw, can't access FB or Twitter in work!

Fitzgeralds just down from O'Connell Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You cant look sideways these days with somebody getting pissed off and going to the media!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

So let me get this straight re that young wan on facebuke.

Dressing up like the characters in cool runnings = racist.

Generalising an entire group of people as dense = A-OK?

She seems a paragon of virtue in morality all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Duggy747 wrote: »

Is it because we're the blacks of Europe? They were probably from the northside too...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Maybe it was just undercover members of the Gardai trying to see if any of the local bars would refuse them entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I don't know, you can't even act like a racist these days without being called a racist. It's PC gone mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Its gas the way she calls them out, and then throws in a bit of her own anti-semitism at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

It seems that blackface has only started to be considered racist in the last few years over here at least. Teachers and students used to regularly black-up for dress up days in my secondary school back in the day. I don't know if it's just us becoming a bit more Americanized, I'd imagine blacking up has been considered racist for a long time in America, since entertainment by performers in blackface was actually used to belittle and dehumanize black people.

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable going around like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

dav3 wrote: »
    I don't know, you can't even act like a racist these days without being called a racist. It's PC gone mad!

Sure you can't even steal Stewart Lee's "jokes" these days without being accused of plagiarism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Duggy747 wrote: »

Because obviously white (Irish in this case) people have never been sold into slavery and only black people can use this argument.

Too bad for her it's completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A lot would also depend on their behaviour but they could have done something else to avoid offending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It might be offensive to some, but it certainly isn't racist. Your one who wrote the Facebook post would want to take a look at herself.

I can't believe that she has appropriated our north European blonde hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

_Brian wrote: »
    A lot would also depend on their behaviour but they could have done something else to avoid offending.

I just hope they didn't appropriate the age-old Jamaican tradition of push cart racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Because obviously white (Irish in this case) people have never been sold into slavery and only black people can use this argument.

That's what I'm getting from her context unless I have it arseways.

Either her FB post is laced with satire or she's a special kind of ignorant, also what was the point of the fake Jew remark? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Sanka ya dead?

Ya mon

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

godtabh wrote: »
    People who want to be offended will be offended

I'm not sure what's worse.

The blackface thing, the people taking offence to it or the ones seething with anger that people would take offence to it.

Main theme of the internet these days it seems.

But ultimately why does anyone give a shit what <snip> says on her damn facebook page? Why is it reported on or worthy of discussion?

Get a life ffs, or at least stop infecting AH with this nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

It's fairly universally accepted that dressing in black-face trivialises the experience of Blacks, who until relatively recently were treated as sub-human. Perhaps it's not racist, but it's certainly grossly inconsiderate and knowingly provocative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Jelle1880 wrote: »

I think its because they think that slavery only equals American Chattel slavery.
    Its bollocks though because the sort of people that tend to make that argument won't say that the instances we have of slavery in the modern day aren't slavery either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I just farted.

Advertisement