Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 200 Event Thread - Cormier v Jones 2

Options
1444546474850»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Jones via KO/TKO
    Mellor wrote: »
    If somebody is taking PEDs why would they bother to stick to the no IV rules.

While true, you reckon fighters can still administer IV's from own source now without getting caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Brock shouldn't get a penny for that fight. Half to the opponent and half to a charity drug rehab centre should be the standard for a fighter who fights on PEDs. Great to see people being caught left right and centre though. The only way the UFC can be considered a sport and not violence for peoples entertainment like it was in the 'good old days' is for this to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,128 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

While true, you reckon fighters can still administer IV's from own source now without getting caught?
    Probably. I'm not convinced they have a valid test for it. I never was.
    I never heard of anybody, in any sport, failing for IV use. And they've been banned for a few years now.
    I'm also not convinced of their benefit in making either, threshold levels aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »
    Probably. I'm not convinced they have a valid test for it. I never was.
    I never heard of anybody, in any sport, failing for IV use. And they've been banned for a few years now.
    I'm also not convinced of their benefit in making either, threshold levels aside.

They can supposedly test for plastic in the blood, cyclists used to use glass IV's to get around it.

On oral vs IV, the studies that say oral is better for dehydration only used it to recover from mild to moderate dehydration. Other studies which say if you are over 10% and close to 15% dehydrated, you need an IV. 15% is considered severe and close to death.

The fighters that were cutting big amounts have either gotten smaller (Weidman) or moved up (Brandao). That's no coincidence IMO.

And regardless if they test for it or not, it's pretty risky to be have an IV in your hotel room or house after weighing in, I'm sure these are prime times that USADA drop by. If they catch you thats 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,128 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »
    They can supposedly test for plastic in the blood, cyclists used to use glass IV's to get around it.

On oral vs IV, the studies that say oral is better for dehydration only used it to recover from mild to moderate dehydration. Other studies which say if you are over 10% and close to 15% dehydrated, you need an IV. 15% is considered severe and close to death.

The fighters that were cutting big amounts have either gotten smaller (Weidman) or moved up (Brandao). That's no coincidence IMO.

And regardless if they test for it or not, it's pretty risky to be have an IV in your hotel room or house after weighing in, I'm sure these are prime times that USADA drop by. If they catch you thats 2 years.
    Doing it in your own room would be stupid but I'd imagine they do in somebody elses room. I don't think it's widespread btw. I just think that at least a couple of fighters (other than BJ) have used an IV in the last 9 months.

Everyone says they test for for plastic, but they haven't got a verified test afaik. I've never seen it on the test results for example.
    They tried to use one with Contador, to say his plastic levels were the refer of blood doping (which it likely was). But it was thrown out because without a reference level, presence of plastic is meaningless. We pick up plastic from other sources all the time.

The issue in cycling was more that stored blood was kept in plastic bags for weeks, so even using a glass IV wouldn't have got around that. Obviously in MMA it would. But would it cause the same spike as a blood bag? No idea.
    Even if they test for plastic and find traces, who to say how big the IV was? Small IVs are still permitted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement