Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Routes News 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

MIA and YUL for EI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Bussywussy wrote: »
    MIA and YUL for EI

OH....do elaborate please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Bussywussy wrote: »
    MIA and YUL for EI

Jamie's "outside" tip of Montreal was spot on so - good guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Rumours of the route started last year...MIA is 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

When's the official announcement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Any word on the Ryanair summer schedule?

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Any word on the Ryanair summer schedule?

Usually much much much later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

YUL is vastly underserved at 1x weekly (which may even be a tag-on?) in summer. Would be quite a capacity increase to start daily but on a 757 I couldn't really see them doing less?

On my trip back from there a while ago, there were ~10 other pax connecting to DUB from KL. I would assume that connecting across the US isn't uncommon either due to preclearance here - its undesirable at the least from non cleared destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

L1011 wrote: »
    YUL is vastly underserved at 1x weekly (which may even be a tag-on?) in summer. Would be quite a capacity increase to start daily but on a 757 I couldn't really see them doing less?

On my trip back from there a while ago, there were ~10 other pax connecting to DUB from KL. I would assume that connecting across the US isn't uncommon either due to preclearance here - its undesirable at the least from non cleared destinations.

If it's only 1 A330 then it will only be 3 weekly...if that is the route!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Usually much much much later in the year

I was thinking the same thing but was reminded the other day it was September last year.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/15903-dublin-summer-2016-schedule/?market=ie

I had noticed they've done some of the smaller UK bases for S17 and got me talking about it. I'm hoping for a few new routes, something like the launch after the travel tax was dropped. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

An affordable way to get to Sweden would be favourite. €260 each way into Stockholm seems bonkers when I can get to New York for less.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Ryanair should be releasing their summer schedule in the next few weeks, what can we expect from it?

KLM increase AMS from 2 to 4 daily from 26 March 17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    KLM increase AMS from 2 to 4 daily from 26 March 17

Wow

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I would think the KLM increase reflects the fact that EI is (comparatively) not a good experience – might passengers be voting with their feet?

I do long haul journeys all the time through AMS, and there's really nothing worse than slumming it on EI short haul following ten or more hours on a KLM 747.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Noxegon wrote: »
    Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I would think the KLM increase reflects the fact that EI is (comparatively) not a good experience might passengers be voting with their feet?

I do long haul journeys all the time through AMS, and there's really nothing worse than slumming it on EI short haul following ten or more hours on a KLM 747.

For a flight that's less than 90 mins, I doubt it! There's really not much difference between KLM short haul and Aer Lingus, bar the free drink! When people are connecting onward or from a long haul KLM flight, I really think 90% don't give a hoot about the airline, they will be looking at the fastest, easiest option etc.
    Perhaps the reason for KLMs increase is due to them wanting to target more business class travellers and/or they anticipate or don't want to rely on EI feeding them due to them being in the IAG and possibly ONEworld family in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

For a flight that's less than 90 mins, I doubt it! There's really not much difference between KLM short haul and Aer Lingus, bar the free drink! When people are connecting onward or from a long haul KLM flight, I really think 90% don't give a hoot about the airline, they will be looking at the fastest, easiest option etc.
    Perhaps the reason for KLMs increase is due to them wanting to target more business class travellers and/or they anticipate or don't want to rely on EI feeding them due to them being in the IAG and possibly ONEworld family in the future

I totally agree, on a short haul flight, I couldnt care less about anything other than timing and airport used etc.

Maybe the increase is down to them routing more traffic than they initially estimated though amsterdam?

also would it not make sense to reintroduce the cork and shannon routes to dublin as PSO? they are now flying out of these airports and using foreign airports and airlines... ( I know aerlingus is no longer Irish) but keeping them flying out of dublin where possible, would at least support Irish jobs and the economy..

it would also make it easier to launch new routes from dublin, which is a win / win...

Idbatterim wrote: »

I totally agree, on a short haul flight, I couldnt care less about anything other than timing and airport used etc.

Maybe the increase is down to them routing more traffic than they initially estimated though amsterdam?

also would it not make sense to reintroduce the cork and shannon routes to dublin as PSO? they are now flying out of these airports and using foreign airports and airlines... ( I know aerlingus is no longer Irish) but keeping them flying out of dublin where possible, would at least support Irish jobs and the economy..

it would also make it easier to launch new routes from dublin, which is a win / win...
    Well Aer Lingus are very much still Irish, their entire business is based on the Irish market, their head office and base is in Ireland, their staff are employed in Ireland, and the companies directors and management all work in the head office at Dublin airport, their planes are registered and based in Ireland. Just because they are a partner in IAG docent mean they are no longer Irish! Are Guinness British ? I don't think so, despite them being owned by a British company!!
    The PSO domestic flights are unlikely to be expanded. They exist for Kerry and Donegal, they don't exist for Cork, Galway or Knock, due to the demand and viability on these routes not being sustainable, mainly due to road an rail connections, people would rather just book their flights departing from Dublin Airport and use the (relatively) easy public transport connections or roads to travel there themselves

From a Clare perspective, all a Dublin route would do is kill the current transatlantic routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Locker10a wrote: »
    Well Aer Lingus are very much still Irish, their entire business is based on the Irish market, their head office and base is in Ireland, their staff are employed in Ireland, and the companies directors and management all work in the head office at Dublin airport, their planes are registered and based in Ireland. Just because they are a partner in IAG docent mean they are no longer Irish! Are Guinness British ? I don't think so, despite them being owned by a British company!!
    The PSO domestic flights are unlikely to be expanded. They exist for Kerry and Donegal, they don't exist for Cork, Galway or Knock, due to the demand and viability on these routes not being sustainable, mainly due to road an rail connections, people would rather just book their flights departing from Dublin Airport and use the (relatively) easy public transport connections or roads to travel there themselves

if I were in cork, I would way prefer to simply get to that much smaller much closer airport, possibly not have to endure a long coach trip or drive and pay for the parking, personally...

there was some talk of the route being re-instated recently...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »

if I were in cork, I would way prefer to simply get to that much smaller much closer airport, possibly not have to endure a long coach trip or drive and pay for the parking, personally...

there was some talk of the route being re-instated recently...

I think with the right marketing and for the right price a Cork-Dublin shuttle could work very well and offer connections to transatlantic and other flights from DUB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Would we ever see a direct route to Beijing, Shanghai or Hainan? Are EI not missing out on a nice niche market for that by not going there and maybe offering a codeshare onto Singapore and other SE Asian places ?? Or have KLM from EIDW to EHAM and onto other places blown EI away?

dfeo wrote: »
    Would we ever see a direct route to Beijing, Shanghai or Hainan? Are EI not missing out on a nice niche market for that by not going there and maybe offering a codeshare onto Singapore and other SE Asian places ?? Or have KLM from EIDW to EHAM and onto other places blown EI away?

My understanding is that the current runway isn't long enough for Singapore in an economical fashion, though I'm open to correction on that. I have to go to Singapore several times each year and would very much appreciate not having to connect in DXB...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I can't ever see a Dublin to Hainan route, it's pretty much just tourist destination for Chinese, with very little appeal to the market here, it's also very far away. I've said it before in this thread that Beijing is the most obvious destination from Dublin; busiest airport in the Far East, comparatively close (shorter than Dub-LAX), big Chinese population here. Maybe there is more business with Shanghai but it is a good bit further away and the airport there has a lot less traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I can see a route by Hainan Airlines but to Beijing. I cannot see EI opening any routes to Asia in the near future as, being part of IAG, it is much more sensible to route to BA in Heathrow and maximise the number of potential destinations than to choose a single route to Asia and then seek local partners for onward transfer to the other Asia centres. The critical mass is just not present in Ireland to create a profitable Asian route, IMO, given group resources and the route requirements - a daily flight would be very hard to east Asia without dedicating a couple of airframes and I just can't see the revenue justifying it. Especially not with the geographical advantages vis a vis North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Well now, the Minister must have been a keen reader this very forum! Because he gone a done the following
    http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2016/minister-ross-hosts-high-level-chinese-aviation-visit
    https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/routes-ireland-and-china-seek-direct-air-link-429747/

Transavia in summer 2017 season is launching 6 new routes from Munich, gradually commencing between Late-March 2017 and Mid-April 2017. Additional frequencies will be added by Late-May 2017. Planned new routes include:

Munich – Dublin eff 11APR17 3 weekly (Day 257)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Transavia in summer 2017 season is launching 6 new routes from Munich, gradually commencing between Late-March 2017 and Mid-April 2017. Additional frequencies will be added by Late-May 2017. Planned new routes include:

Munich – Dublin eff 11APR17 3 weekly (Day 257)
    interesting times too for the flights thanks to the planes being based in Munich, with a very early morning Munich departure on Tuesday arriving into Dublin at 8am and late Dublin departure on Sunday evening offering some more options over what Lufthansa and Aer lingus already have.

You'd have to wonder if this will affect the number of flights offered by Lufthansa and Aer Lingus, or will it more affect Ryanair to Memmingen which is so far west of Munich that its nearly as handy to get to from Zurich as it is from Munich !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Marcusm wrote: »
    I can see a route by Hainan Airlines but to Beijing. I cannot see EI opening any routes to Asia in the near future as, being part of IAG, it is much more sensible to route to BA in Heathrow and maximise the number of potential destinations than to choose a single route to Asia and then seek local partners for onward transfer to the other Asia centres. The critical mass is just not present in Ireland to create a profitable Asian route, IMO, given group resources and the route requirements - a daily flight would be very hard to east Asia without dedicating a couple of airframes and I just can't see the revenue justifying it. Especially not with the geographical advantages vis a vis North America.

Isn't Dublin by far the busiest airport in Europe without an East Asian route? Obviously you'd need to take out airports in cities that have other airports that serve the route (Orly) and holiday destination airports (Malaga and Mallorca). I don't see how Dublin couldn't have the traffic when I can't see any other city airport a similar size to Dublin that doesn't have a Far East route. There are many airports much smaller than Dublin that have multiple routes.

• Advertisement

interesting times too for the flights thanks to the planes being based in Munich, with a very early morning Munich departure on Tuesday arriving into Dublin at 8am and late Dublin departure on Sunday evening offering some more options over what Lufthansa and Aer lingus already have.

You'd have to wonder if this will affect the number of flights offered by Lufthansa and Aer Lingus, or will it more affect Ryanair to Memmingen which is so far west of Munich that its nearly as handy to get to from Zurich as it is from Munich !

Don't see any impact, Memmingen isn't impacting EI/LH one bit and I don't see any changes to capacity.

Advertisement