Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Routes News 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Cravens wrote: »
    Travel Extra are reporting that as many as four routes might be chosen; Miami, Dallas, Detroit, Philadelphia and Charleston (SC) among the choices.

What do you guys think?

If you're talking about EI then I would say no. 2 new aircraft doesnt automatically mean 2 new routes. It could mran 1 new and more freqs on an existing route. Perhaps EI are examing those routes, I would be surprised if they are not.

Travel Extra are reporting that as many as four routes might be chosen; Miami, Dallas, Detroit, Philadelphia and Charleston (SC) among the choices.

What do you guys think?

Travel extra haven't been setting the world on fire with their news/predictions recently either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Philadelphia is served from Dublin as is.

I'd like to see Dallas – there's a big hole in US routes with nothing in the southern US at all.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭sandbelter

What do you guys think?

Travel Extra is saying that these cities are active in talking to EI, it's not saying these are the routes.

"Talks have been re-entered with several north American airports, of which the most enthusiastic include Miami (whose lobbying activities included the IATA summit in Dublin), Dallas, Philadelphia, Detroit and Charleston. There are more in the mix: Aer Lingus has spoken to nearly 100 different airports in their search for new direct destinations from Dublin."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

4 seems like to much, I couldn't see more than 3 personally, will have to do some digging this week to get the magic number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Noxegon wrote: »
    Philadelphia is served from Dublin as is.

So was Newark.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

I didn't say they were the definite routes, just that they were choices/possibilities - name thine poison. Also I don't take Travel Extra seriously as much these days, especially after promising a route announcement for the 4-star Aer Lingus rating, which to some of us here was the cock-up of the month.

But, in naming these possibilities is just about gauging intrigue more than anything else - my intrigue goes immediately towards Charleston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

What what was that big announcement for a new airline at Dublin that was postponed a while ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Will we ever see a direct route to the Far East? Beijing probably makes the most sense due to distance (Beijing is closer to Dublin than LA is), Beijing being the busiest airport in Asia and the second busiest in the world and the large and growing Chinese population in Ireland.

I wouldn't say that Aer Lingus will be going east anytime soon, but other airlines (with a particular buzz about Hainan Airlines) probably will be serving destinations east of Dubai before the end of the decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I wouldn't say that Aer Lingus will be going east anytime soon, but other airlines (with a particular buzz about Hainan Airlines) probably will be serving destinations east of Dubai before the end of the decade.

Yes Hainan would seem like the most likely operator to run a Dublin-Beijing route. Hainan already run plenty of routes to Europe with Berlin, Brussels, Calgary, Manchester, Prague and Birmingham all having direct flights to PEK with Hainan. All of those airports have lower passenger numbers than Dublin with Prague and Birmingham both having less than half of the passengers that Dublin did in 2015. Dublin is by far the busiest airport in Europe (that doesn't have another international airport in the same city) that doesn't have a direct route to the Far East. It seems like an absolutely glaring hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99

Aer Lingus are announcing their 2017 new routes tomorrow at an event in Dublin airport.

It appears this was rumour, but stated as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Tangey99 wrote: »
    It appears this was rumour, but stated as fact.

Jayus! You're a bit late to the party with that dig! :D

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Jayus! You're a bit late to the party with that dig! :D

pardon me being old fashioned, but when someone states something as fact, I assume it is actually, you know, a fact.

Some people are so caught up with wanting to be seen to be "in the know", that they take a rumour or a couple of of pieces of evidence and come up with a factual statement.

I an hearing a rumour, repeat rumour, not fact, that they may announce new route/s on Friday.

I'm hoping for MIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Tangey99 wrote: »
    pardon me being old fashioned, but when someone states something as fact, I assume it is actually, you know, a fact.

Some people are so caught up with wanting to be seen to be "in the know", that they take a rumour or a couple of of pieces of evidence and come up with a factual statement.

The vast majority of members who post on this site do so in good faith. However as nothing is attributed to an official source each post is accepted on it own merits by the memeber of this forum.

Your throw away comment, comes across as nothing more than a plain good old fashioned dig.

Play nicely, folks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Play nicely, folks...

Yes mod.... oh wait... :pac:

Play nicely folks.

The EI route announcement was a let down for most people as it was widely accepted as "definitely happening on Monday"......then it didnt!!!
    However the CEO in an interview about the 4 Star award stated that expansion would be announced in "the coming weeks", and we had the IAG statement about delivery of 2x A333 in early 2017 to EI. So we can expect something soon.

But as always, play nicely folks.

I was, and in fact did get into this, but I concluded it's possible I'm just a fuddy-duddy, and decided to delete my original reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Build a bridge... seriously. People post things as 'facts' on the internet all the time and they very rarely are true facts.

EI routes coming very soon and we can stop speculating about MIA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

January wrote: »
    Build a bridge... seriously. People post things as 'facts' on the internet all the time and they very rarely are true facts.

What, you mean Air Koryo isn't about to launch double daily DUB-FNJ?!

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Don't suppose I could be so bold as to ask; how soon is very soon? I don't think I will trust Travel Extra now; all I could say to them now is, "Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    EI routes coming very soon and we can stop speculating about MIA ;)
    Stop because it's confirmed or stop because it's definitely not happening

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Stop because it's confirmed or stop because it's definitely not happening

It's due to begin late May I am hearing.
    Don't suppose I could be so bold as to ask; how soon is very soon? I don't think I will trust Travel Extra now; all I could say to them now is, "Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me."

Don't have a date but I would be surprised if it's not in the next 2 weeks but would expect it 100% before end of August at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It's due to begin late May I am hearing.

Don't have a date but I would be surprised if it's not in the next 2 weeks but would expect it 100% before end of August at the latest.

I guess they are committing to it on a long time basis as otherwise late May is a curious time of year to launch into MIA. Business traffic is winding down for the Summer and Summer is low season for Florida, Caribbean and Latin America generally meaning that natural load factors would not be as high as they could be. The route can easily be filled at low yields but I guess if this ends up being a JBA route then that is not a direct concern for EI management.

April/May is usual time to EI to launch new routes. Recent SFO & LAX being examples.
    The 2016 Sept launch of EWR and BDL were seen as unusual and dur to aircraft availibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭sandbelter

Ordinarily MIA in winter would be optimal, but apparently Portugal, Spain and Florida have been the favored destinations for Irish tourists since the Tunisian attacks. So this could figure in their thinking.

• Advertisement

sandbelter wrote: »
    Ordinarily MIA in winter would be optimal, but apparently Portugal, Spain and Florida have been the favored destinations for Irish tourists since the Tunisian attacks. So this could figure in their thinking.

The majority of Irish traffic to Orlando is low yielding and flies via MAN/LGW with VS or US hubs for the most part. EI would have no interest in chasing it, if they had MCO would be a lot more than a mere 3 or 4 weekly.

MIA should do well across all types of travelers and it isn't the best connected airport with Europe combined with low freq to start with.
    I guess they are committing to it on a long time basis as otherwise late May is a curious time of year to launch into MIA. Business traffic is winding down for the Summer and Summer is low season for Florida, Caribbean and Latin America generally meaning that natural load factors would not be as high as they could be. The route can easily be filled at low yields but I guess if this ends up being a JBA route then that is not a direct concern for EI management.

As said May is the usual route launch month for EI route launches.

Advertisement