Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Routes News 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

My thinking too. Its a leisure route with lots of options through the UK.
    No cargo, no high yield business traffic, no onward traffic.
    Better to focus on high yield routes to East caost and LAX, allow LAS traffic to go via UK, ORD or LAX
    i dont dispute its better for iag, I wont be going via the uk again, thats for sure. Also thomas cook fly direct from Glasgow, Glasgow! Dublin airport has triple the passenger numbers. I just hope Norwegian, thomas cook etc start it at some point in the nearish future...

I can imagine it would be a lot more lucrative though, if you could feed traffic into it , from the IAG network, of course, they would prefer you to fly via london or manchester on BA...
    My thinking too. Its a leisure route with lots of options through the UK.
    No cargo, no high yield business traffic, no onward traffic.
    Better to focus on high yield routes to East caost and LAX, allow LAS traffic to go via UK, ORD or LAX

again I get this, I get some of the issues with the route, no cargo etc, that applies to direct routes currently flying from the uk. I dont buy that it isnt profitable though, they wouldnt be flying from uk to there direct if it wasnt. I do appreciate there may be more profitable routes, for them to deploy the planes on though. Particularly now as IAG will want you to fly direct from london or manchester

Also why are we flying people from cork to london or manchester for example, when they could be going via dublin, but there is no direct flight. In my opinion, the government when selling its share, should have been conditional on a permanent reinstatement of cork to dublin flight, even if on a 72 seater turbo prop, arriving into dublin at 7am etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Idbatterim wrote: »
    i dont dispute its better for iag, I wont be going via the uk again, thats for sure. Also thomas cook fly direct from Glasgow, Glasgow! Dublin airport has triple the passenger numbers. I just hope Norwegian, thomas cook etc start it at some point in the nearish future...

I can imagine it would be a lot more lucrative though, if you could feed traffic into it , from the IAG network, of course, they would prefer you to fly via london or manchester on BA...

again I get this, I get some of the issues with the route, no cargo etc, that applies to direct routes currently flying from the uk. I dont buy that it isnt profitable though, they wouldnt be flying from uk to there direct if it wasnt. I do appreciate there may be more profitable routes, for them to deploy the planes on though. Particularly now as IAG will want you to fly direct from london or manchester

Also why are we flying people from cork to london or manchester for example, when they could be going via dublin, but there is no direct flight. In my opinion, the government when selling its share, should have been conditional on a permanent reinstatement of cork to dublin flight, even if on a 72 seater turbo prop, arriving into dublin at 7am etc...

Thomas Cook is a charter airline with a different cost base and revenue streams to a scheduled airline. They will likely survive on a weekly schedule to sun destinations, most likely Mexico, the Caribbean etc and supplement with a twice a week schedule to places like LAS. They are not a scheduled airline and generate revenue more from package deals.

If you prefer not to backtrack via Lindon, why not try connecting at PHL on American. Once EI is subsumed into the transatlantic JV, IAG will be unconcerned whether you travel via EI, AA, BA, IB or AY metal. Given resources at EI, both in terms of airframes nand crew, I cannot see it supporting a LAS route until it can get close to a daily service or strata sharing crew with BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If you prefer not to backtrack via Lindon, why not try connecting at PHL on American.
    Manchester or Heathrow might not have been as bad, but Gatwick is a joke. While being delayed on the ground over an hour, on the way over. I read up a bit about the airport, it suffers the most delays in the uk. The departing gates were seriously dated and on the way over, I had to go out through immigration and back through security again!

Likewise on the way home. The only advantage I find about flying via the uk, is non having to pre-clear, got out ahead of the crowd on the 747 when I got into vegas, used the new automated immigration kiosks, I was out of the plane and through immigration in sub five minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Plenty of business traffic into Vegas, in fact if you look on the flyertalk forums you'll see that business and first class as well as economy are more often than not sold out every day flying to and from Vegas. They have business conferences there year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Lockheed

would i be correct in saying that the new Flybe route starts on the 30th? need to be in England on the 31st and it would be cool being one of the first people on the new route
    --edit
    Flybe route to Doncaster Sheffield airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lockheed wrote: »
    would i be correct in saying that the new Flybe route starts on the 30th? need to be in England on the 31st and it would be cool being one of the first people on the new route
    --edit
    Flybe route to Doncaster Sheffield airport

Yep, Aer Lingus dropping it and Flybe taking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

January wrote:
    Plenty of business traffic into Vegas, in fact if you look on the flyertalk forums you'll see that business and first class as well as economy are more often than not sold out every day flying to and from Vegas. They have business conferences there year round.

True but it's not a traditional business destination. People go for huge conferences not regular work. There are just not enough us companies her to sustain a business class service her as travel would be sporadic

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

January wrote: »

Remember, a full cabin doesn't always mean profitable. It all depends on how many seats you can sell, and what price point you sell them at.

Factor in frequent flyers on redemption/automatic upgrades etc into the calculations (Vegas being a big leisure and road warrior destination) it's all a bit trickier than it might seem at first sight. It's also hugely cyclical: a popular week with a big event/conference creates demand..but there are still sufficient "dead weeks" which eat into a routes overall profitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Remember, a full cabin doesn't always mean profitable. It all depends on how many seats you can sell, and what price point you sell them at.

Factor in frequent flyers on redemption/automatic upgrades etc into the calculations (Vegas being a big leisure and road warrior destination) it's all a bit trickier than it might seem at first sight. It's also hugely cyclical: a popular week with a big event/conference creates demand..but there are still sufficient "dead weeks" which eat into a routes overall profitability.
    It's all about the yield.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭IQO

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2016/10/fjord-edge?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/

Never knew of a flight between Dublin and the US carried out by Norwegian? Was this ever active even?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

IQO wrote: »
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2016/10/fjord-edge?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/

Never knew of a flight between Dublin and the US carried out by Norwegian? Was this ever active even?

I think it refers to the planned Cork service, which the author mistaken for Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

IQO wrote: »

Do you believe everything you read in the newspapers :)
    Its just another example of a poorly researched article.

The service never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

TX indicating 4 November for EI routes and say MIA and DFW. I don't believe the latter will happen next summer. It could well just be MIA announced...

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    TX indicating 4 November for EI routes and say MIA and DFW. I don't believe the latter will happen next summer. It could well just be MIA announced...

Interesting. Any chance of another 757 in the next few years or is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

Gee, I'd be hoping for the A321LR to be arriving in the next few years.

Cravens wrote: »
    Gee, I'd be hoping for the A321LR to be arriving in the next few years.

How long is the current order backlog for A321LR's? Aer Lingus should probably start making plans for them if they want them anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

Well there can be conversions on the current IAG order, and I am sure that it would not hurt (in view of Brexit) to divert some frames away from BA.

Cravens wrote: »
    Well there can be conversions on the current IAG order, and I am sure that it would not hurt (in view of Brexit) to divert some frames away from BA.

My tired head forgot about the IAG group as a whole!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sandbelter

Carnacalla wrote: »

Given the way Brexit is shaping up, I think there's 2 over at Openskies that will be coming free. Pretty sure that UK will lose the rights to fly from if things stay on track which means they would need come under either IB or EI's umbrella to keep operating from Orly or be shut down.

Another option is to get AA to operate SNN flights under the JV. An AA 757 could easily do PHL-SNN-JFK-SNN-PHL rotation, releasing an EI 757 for DUB.

Lots of options

One of my business partners has just come back from 2 weeks in NY, he described the US as "all Trumped out" as it all you hear there.

I think they would be better waiting post Nov 8th to announce it....it will simply get drowned out especially if it is Florida as it's a swing state. If anything they delay does suggests MIA will be announced along with additional frequencies to existing cities.

Even though DFW makes sense, it does concern me a secondary US city isn't being announced ....if BDL is the success the press had been suggesting I would have expected a secondary US city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Secondary cities are great and a nice niche but if the demand is there for a bigger city like then DFW then I would assume that would be higher up the list. It also opens up connections with AA

• Advertisement

My source is been tight lipped but I don't think so, they could surprise us with YUL if they do.

With what appears will be 1 new A333 available (1 replacement unless they have plans for another in late 2017) for passenger service in 2017 there is only 3 slots free, so I think x3 weekly MIA.
    One of my business partners has just come back from 2 weeks in NY, he described the US as "all Trumped out" as it all you hear there.

I think they would be better waiting post Nov 8th to announce it....it will simply get drowned out especially if it is Florida as it's a swing state. If anything they delay does suggests MIA will be announced along with additional frequencies to existing cities.

Even though DFW makes sense, it does concern me a secondary US city isn't being announced ....if BDL is the success the press had been suggesting I would have expected a secondary US city.

Not really sure it makes a difference when they add it. TBH I think the world is fed up of the US election and Brexit or at least I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The service never existed.

Speaking of services that never existed, the current Airliner World talks about a Northwest service that operated between DUB-MSP. Anyone remember that? I don't, and the Internet doesn't seem to know about it either...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Noxegon wrote: »
    Speaking of services that never existed, the current Airliner World talks about a Northwest service that operated between DUB-MSP. Anyone remember that? I don't, and the Internet doesn't seem to know about it either...

Was a "direct" that stopped in JFK I think. Same plane same code

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MD96

Any idea when aer lingus will launch their new routes? Also heard some flights would be departing earlier from europeans cities to Dublin, overnighting some a320s there and also to make 'room' in DUB stands. Someone confirms this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

MD96 wrote: »
    Any idea when aer lingus will launch their new routes? Also heard some flights would be departing earlier from europeans cities to Dublin, overnighting some a320s there and also to make 'room' in DUB stands. Someone confirms this?

This rumour has been doing the rounds for years now! EI ended the European overnights years ago to curtail costs, they may indeed reintroduce some again for the reason mentioned above but when it's happening we will know, until then it's just speculation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/aer-lingus-close-liverpool-dublin-12095263

Sad but RYR were aggressive in consistently undercutting them.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/aer-lingus-close-liverpool-dublin-12095263

Sad but RYR were aggressive in consistently undercutting them.

FR under cutting is no different to all UK routes, LPL is not a great airport for many with MAN down the road.

WW from IAG said one route in time for next summer, so think it confirms it will be just MIA.

Strange to see LPL cut considering they started on a 3x daily A320.

Will the ATR72-600 be reassigned to another route next summer? Will be alot of slack this winter with them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Strange to say but to LPL considering they started on a 3x daily A320.

Will the ATR72-600 be reassigned to another route next summer? Will be alot of slack this winter with them.
    I was just going to say, I wonder what this aircraft now be assigned to ?

Advertisement