Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Routes News 2017

Options

Comments

Tenger wrote: »
    Its a nice PR move from Qatar to make a splash on the 1st flight, bringing in their flagship aircraft. The mound will be packed ("tickets only €15!!")
    All their adverts about the Dublin route do show the B787 though.

Would their flagship not be their 380's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Would their flagship not be their 380's ?

Yeah but Dublin's runway is too short ;););)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yeah but Dublin's runway is too short ;););)

For flights to the Middle East, the runway at Dublin is NOT too short. There are other limitations to the operation of 380's at present, but they can be overcome. It's been discussed here on a number of occasions. The limitation is only on maximum range full load operations, which would not be the case for Qatar's home base.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

For flights to the Middle East, the runway at Dublin is NOT too short. There are other limitations to the operation of 380's at present, but they can be overcome. It's been discussed here on a number of occasions. The limitation is only on maximum range full load operations, which would not be the case for Qatar's home base.

My comment was firmly tounge in cheek, have you seen the Dublin airport spotters group on Facebook lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

quazzy wrote: »
    Was reading about a new direct route to Doha and it mentioned the route would be served with 787 Dreamliner, just curious if this would be the first 787 for Dublin or are other routes currently using it?

Thomson also use a 787 from Dublin to Cancun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

ahbell wrote: »
    Thomson also use a 787 from Dublin to Cancun.

Ethiopian use it on DUB-LAX and DUB-ADD too. Did I read somewhere AA were putting it on DUB-ORD this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

HTCOne wrote: »
    Ethiopian use it on DUB-LAX and DUB-ADD too. Did I read somewhere AA were putting it on DUB-ORD this year?

AA plan to but it happening is another story, been delayed until August now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭VG31

There are €100 return flights if you book far enough in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

VG31 wrote: »
    There are €100 return flights if you book far enough in advance.

That far in advance, EI and FR will be much cheaper. Useful for status runs, that's about it.

Posted on the random thread about getting a EI return with bags for 181 when KL wanted 416 (after flyingblue discounts) - some weeks out. Nicer aircraft, a tiny Heineken and a cheese sandwich isn't worth that difference!

Do many people actually pay that premium, or is the route dominated by connections and a few business suits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've flown the route a decent amount and it seems like a lot of passengers making connections. I'm not sure theres enough 'snob factor' for many people to justify paying the premium otherwise, when EI/Ryanair have so many flights a day on the same route for so much less.

For business users who aren't paying themselves though its completely worth it to get miles credited to a decent program instead of the disaster that is Aerclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'm certainly prepared to pay a premium for KLM over Aer Lingus, though not a €300 one. Twenty percent perhaps.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I got return weekend flights for €97 which was cheaper than Ryanair and Aer Lingus about 8 weeks in advance! Lots of people were making connections to places in Germany like Hannover and Scandinavia. When I was checking in online for the flight home I also got offered to upgrade to business class for €65. Wasn't going to pay that for an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a decent flyingblue customer base here from the cityjet days but that alone isn't filling 400 seats a day.

Business class on the KLM DUB-AMS flights is very expensive as well. The lowest I can see for return flights is €660, versus €340 to FRA with LH, €400 to CDG with AF and €300 to LCY with BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Do many people actually pay that premium, or is the route dominated by connections and a few business suits?

Insightful article about KLM's strategy for launching this route.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/news/2016/06/21/klm-returns-to-dublin-after-50-years/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ongarboy wrote: »
    Insightful article about KLM's strategy for launching this route.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/news/2016/06/21/klm-returns-to-dublin-after-50-years/
    It says the last time they served Dublin was 50 years ago. I could've sworn I sat on a KLM plane to Amsterdam in the 80's??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I could've sworn I sat on a KLM plane to Amsterdam in the 80's??

You may well have done – but I'm guessing you didn't board it in DUB!

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

AC return to YYZ with A333 from 30 October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Might you mean TS or EI? I believe Air Canada are retiring their 330's and currently only fly them out of YUL.

• Advertisement

Might you mean TS or EI? I believe Air Canada are retiring their 330's and currently only fly them out of YUL.

No AC, they have 8 A333 and no firm dates for them to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

No AC, they have 8 A333 and no firm dates for them to go.

Yup your right, its in the booking engine on the website. That's a big U turn from AC, only recently they moved all 330's to YUL and 767's to YYZ.

Second daily MUC which started this summer will operate year round and a fourth daily FRA starts on 29 October.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Second daily MUC which started this summer will operate year round and a fourth daily FRA starts on 29 October.
    thats great news .

It might be connected (or at least helped) by Transavia shutting their Munich base permanently from winter onwards including the Dublin flights, but from taking the Lufthansa service a few times now its remarkable to see how many who use the service whose final destination isn't Munich, some long haul but many also heading to various random European destinations who have no direct connection to Dublin.

Another observation on that route but with the Aer Lingus service, is how in the past 3 or 4 years the amount of transfer passengers in Dublin to or from the USA has increased from barely any at all to now being a noticeable (americans are particularly noticeable) amount of traffic.

Its great to see so much Europe-USA connecting traffic with Aerlingus, but I still find it strange that Aer Lingus isn't copying Iceland Air and really pushing a stopover in Ireland as a marketing feature rather than a hindrance to be endured, but that'd be another issue I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,611 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Great news - Lufthansa really are developing their Dublin services into a strong product feeding into their global network.

Now if only SWISS could add an extra daily flight to tie in with the evening long haul services out of ZRH....

It would be great to see Austrian here as well. Only one EI flight to VIE a day and there are lots of connection possibilities to Eastern Europe and Asia.

VG31 wrote: »
    It would be great to see Austrian here as well. Only one EI flight to VIE a day and there are lots of connection possibilities to Eastern Europe and Asia.

We had Austrian a few years back, can't remember the schedule but think it was not targeted at connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Anyone know what the Qatar departing DUB this afternoon is?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I would guess it's the scheduled service to Doha, QR9611 due to depart at 1705, not sure about aircraft type if that's the question

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Anyone know what the Qatar departing DUB this afternoon is?

An A330 arrived a few weeks for painting so I'd say it's that one.

Advertisement