Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Routes News 2017

Options

Comments

Did anyone hear about Hainan starting a route into Dublin via Man, I've got it starting a few times per week starting on the 31st ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭john boye

Oddly enough DUB arrivals lists a HU flight arriving from MAN this morning

john boye wrote: »
    Oddly enough DUB arrivals lists a HU flight arriving from MAN this morning

Cancelled for today apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yet another "new yet non direct" service being promoted by Wow to Chicago from Dublin.  Why isn't "via Reykjavik" included in the headline banner?  Otherwise every international airline that adds a hub connection whereby the hub already serves Dublin and offers reasonable transit connections would be a headline route announcement too??  This PR tactic seems to be used by Wow only as far as I can see and I find it annoyingly misleading when pitched as a new Dublin route.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/wow-announces-new-air-routes-from-cork-and-dublin-to-chicago-1.3026208

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Very misleading headline, people will be very pissed off when they realise that they have to change plane in Iceland.
    And by their lodgic it's not a new route, ORK DUB and SNN to ORD is already served by BA, United airlines, American Airlines, Virgin Atlantic etc etc the list goes on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

At least with changing aircraft in Iceland, you're not flying an hour in completely the wrong direction, to then overfly your starting point some hours later on the way to your final destination, with the same scenario on the way home.

Some people might actually like a stop over in Iceland to see somewhere different if the prices were right.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

At least with changing aircraft in Iceland, you're not flying an hour in completely the wrong direction, to then overfly your starting point some hours later on the way to your final destination, with the same scenario on the way home.

Some people might actually like a stop over in Iceland to see somewhere different if the prices were right.

I know someone who took the Icelandic option recently. He reckoned he blew most of the saving on grub and a drink in Reykjavik airport :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Wow doing their best to publicise new routes isn't the frustrating news. The gullible Irish media regurgitating it is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I know someone who took the Icelandic option recently. He reckoned he blew most of the saving on grub and a drink in Reykjavik airport :pac:

have to admit I was thinking more of a longer stop over so that you can get out of the airport for at least a quick look at some of the country, I seem to recall that at one stage, they were allowing at least a 24 hour stop over on one direction.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

man98 wrote: »
    Wow doing their best to publicise new routes isn't the frustrating news. The gullible Irish media regurgitating it is.

I wouldn't call the media gullible, I think they know it's not news at all but are just publishing it as they know it'll get a few hits.
    I seem to recall that at one stage, they were allowing at least a 24 hour stop over on one direction.

Was that not just Icelandair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,186 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tabnabs wrote: »

Can happen with Finnair to Asia also!

Dublin's by no means cheap but as potential transfer hubs go, its nowhere near the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Picking two random dates in April , skyscanner threw up €400 to any Reykjavik return to Dublin. Not cheap. So if you found return to Chicago could you just get off the aircraft and say 'see you next week'? (No bags in the hold)

https://www.skyscanner.ie/transport/flights/dub/reyk/170410/170417/airfares-from-dublin-to-reykjavik-in-april-2017.html?adults=1&children=0&adultsv2=1&childrenv2=&infants=0&cabinclass=economy&rtn=1&preferdirects=false&outboundaltsenabled=false&inboundaltsenabled=false&ref=home#results

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

joeysoap wrote: »
    Picking two random dates in April , skyscanner threw up €400 to any Reykjavik return to Dublin. Not cheap. So if you found return to Chicago could you just get off the aircraft and say 'see you next week'? (No bags in the hold)

I assume you mean booking DUB-KEF-ORD return in order to just avail of the DUB-KEF part. No! would be the answer.
    Not turning up for part of a multi sector journey may/will forfeit the rest of the journey. (bags or no bags)

Tenger wrote: »
    I assume you mean booking DUB-KEF-ORD return in order to just avail of the DUB-KEF part. No! would be the answer. No turning up for part of a multi sector journey may/will forfeit the rest of the journey. (bags or no bags)

It does not with Ryanair at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It does not with Ryanair at least.

Ryanair does not sell return tickets or connecting flights, everything is a single ticket.

General rule on multi sector tickets is each sector must be taken in order, miss a segment and those following are cancelled unless the airline is at fault were they would rebook you

Ryanair doesn't sell return tickets? News to me!

Must have been pure luck that I got on my last 6 return flights last year with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Ryanair does not sell return tickets or connecting flights, everything is a single ticket.

General rule on multi sector tickets is each sector must be taken in order, miss a segment and those following are cancelled unless the airline is at fault were they would rebook you

Strange I just booked a return ticket with Ryanair from Shannon to Malaga, in fact every time I fly with them I always book a return flight, never heard of this single ticket you mention

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭patricia88

I think what goingnowhere means is that you cannot book Dublin-Faro (via stansted) with ryanair in one go. You would have to book Dublin- Stansted and Stansted - Faro separately and pick up your bags in Stansted and check them in again. Ryanair don't facilitate having a single ticket for this journey you would have two separate flights.

If you did as you described you wouldn't be able to get your return flight as you hadn't shown up in Chicago to check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,186 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They don't sell tickets priced as returns, which most airlines do across the Atlantic and some even do on shorthaul. KLM often charge "nothing" or a few euro for the return leg - making one way tickets really rather painful. All Ryanair tickets are priced as one-ways; as are Aer Lingus tickets except TATL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭VG31

Ryanair do sell return tickets but not in the same way as most airlines.

With the majority of airlines, if you miss one leg the rest of your flights will be cancelled.

However Ryanair (and most low-cost carriers) treat your return booking as two single tickets rather than a return ticket. This means that if you miss the first flight the return flight won't be cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 333bus

Did anyone hear about Hainan starting a route into Dublin via Man, I've got it starting a few times per week starting on the 31st ?

Yes heard that a few weeks ago, A330 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Think they may of handed back the slots recently, they just were not removed from DUB system.

Interesting to see what happens but it is a little worrying that a tag via MAN would be cancelled. I hope it's more operational issues with HU than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

333bus wrote: »
    Yes heard that a few weeks ago, A330 I believe.

I find it rather difficult to believe that any airline is going to start operating a flight with several days notice without having already launched it in their booking engine months ahead.

Without offering seats for sale it's going to be rather difficult to get passengers on board.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Think they may of handed back the slots recently, they just were not removed from DUB system.

Interesting to see what happens but it is a little worrying that a tag via MAN would be cancelled. I hope it's more operational issues with HU than anything else.

Don't think they have, I've seen it is still in the DAA's system. Frankly I agree it's odd as there has been no announcement and no advertising. Personally I'm dubious that it will start.

Hainan have slots again for this summer at Dublin, not many so it might just be an initial charter series to test the waters on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 EI121

Just curious: How can you find out what airline has which slots at DUB? Are they available in the public domain?

Thanks

EI121 wrote: »
    Just curious: How can you find out what airline has which slots at DUB? Are they available in the public domain?

Thanks

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/DUB-S17-start-of-season.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 25 EI121

Cheers @GVHOT

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

I also notice Air Arabia Maroc on there for a service to Agadir, does this mean they may also be serving DUB soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

dogcat wrote: »
    I also notice Air Arabia Maroc on there for a service to Agadir, does this mean they may also be serving DUB soon?

No, slots are filed but not withdrawn by a certain date and make it into the pdf.

Advertisement