Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby at the olympics. The draw is as follows ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

If I was on that GB team I would find it hard to be happy getting silver after this rollicking.

Wahey! 30 points in 4 minutes, be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

bizarre. nz were beating fiji at half time. england 29-0 down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Silver medal for a team that have only had about 10 weeks together is nothing to shrug at.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Teferi wrote: »
    If I was on that GB team I would find it hard to be happy getting silver after this rollicking.

The nature of these head to head finals means that winning Silver is a bit of an anti climax unlike some other events. In a funny way you'd almost feel happier winning a Bronze medal match than losing a Gold medal match!

That said I don't think GB were ever expecting to be in the Gold medal match. At the very very best they were hoping for Bronze.

• Advertisement

All of the head pats from the Fiji team must be so demoralising for GB.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

bilston wrote: »
    The nature of these head to head finals means that winning Silver is a bit of an anti climax unlike some other events. In a funny way you'd almost feel happier winning a Bronze medal match than losing a Gold medal match!

That's always the way. Bronze medalists are nearly always delighted, especially when there's a fight/play off for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

BBC didnt cop they were looking for try on TMO. hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Looks like a good call by the touch judge.

Edit, yeah, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I had backed GB to get the gold but not in the least bit surprised. Best offloading team in the world and they're so big you can't knock them over. And the lines they run are beautiful. Lethal combo. They're vulnerable when you run at them but GB can't get the ball. Glad to see Fiji win.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    All of the head pats from the Fiji team must be so demoralising for GB.

surprised fiji have so many fans on here. historically one of the most niggly classless sevens teams. always spoiling for a row, especially when losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

These commentators are getting paid, lets let that sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Time to crack out a can of kava.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

An absolute joy to watch, great scenes to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Congrats to Fiji. Absolute beasts. Thoroughly deserved.

I had backed GB to get the gold but not in the least bit surprised. Best offloading team in the world and they're so big you can't knock them over. And the lines they run are beautiful. Lethal combo. They're vulnerable when you run at them but GB can't get the ball. Glad to see Fiji win.

Then once they had their tails up, they flew into the few tackles they did have to make. Complete domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Delighted for Fiji. I don't think you can underestimate what this will mean to the Fijian nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Woohoo!!!

surprised fiji have so many fans on here. historically one of the most niggly classless sevens teams. always spoiling for a row, especially when losing.

First ever medal, it's a nice story.

they'll be loving this in sigatoka

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Delighted for Fiji well deserved win!

First ever olympic medal for Fiji...not a cow will be milked!

beaten like a red headed step child.

crisco10 wrote: »
    First ever olympic medal for Fiji...not a cow will be milked!

Coconut, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

This was awesome!

and yet completely ****e at 15's. gas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

All in all a resounding success for our sport at the Olympics. Think viewing figures have been very respectable and I don't see it getting dropped for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The pre match and first half BBC commentary there was absolutely hilarious.

"We're fitter and stronger, we have s real chance here"
    "This will be very tight"

At 22-0

"We're still in this"

Lolballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Jaysus bbc jumped away from that fairly lively! I guess no post-match analysis required!!!

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    All in all a resounding success for our sport at the Olympics. Think viewing figures have been very respectable and I don't see it getting dropped for 2024.

it was great.

just need an inquest in nz and maybe relax rules about committing to circuit pre olympics. ben smith said he would have played if he could just play the tourney itself. titch didn't want that

Advertisement