Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,171 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Where did you get nudes of awec ?
    He keeps texting them to me. I think he has a wrong number. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Started at 115kg. Would like to get below 100kg. I'm at my playing weight but that was a good few years ago so the shape is very different. 100kg would suit my frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Started at 115kg. Would like to get below 100kg. I'm at my playing weight but that was a good few years ago so the shape is very different. 100kg would suit my frame.

Just be careful you don't pile it all back on when you go back on the beer. To maintain it you'll have to up the exercise, eat less to allow some leeway for beer or consider having the beer in moderation and switching to spirits most of the time (with low calorie mixer if that's your thing). Congrats though!

Bazzo wrote: »
    Just be careful you don't pile it all back on when you go back on the beer. To maintain it you'll have to up the exercise, eat less to allow some leeway for beer or consider having the beer in moderation and switching to spirits most of the time (with low calorie mixer if that's your thing). Congrats though!

Thanks. Very conscious of that. Joined a gym and I'm enjoying it. Will go beer once a week otherwise it's whiskey with no mixer or G&T. The missus is very keen on "health kick" so I think we'll keep to the good diet keeping the carbs down.

Have to say that the change in what we eat hasn't been hard but I did miss beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Gaming... weight loss... smh

• Advertisement

Went on a bit of a health kick for January. Cut out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and beer. Dropped 9kg. Having my first pint since New Years. My God it's good!!

Jaysus just one month?!

I'm well up from my 'competition' weight now but at the time and at 6"2 I was 69KG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm well up from my 'competition' weight now but at the time and at 6"2 I was 69KG

Were you a professional kite??

Holy ****!! Last time I was 69kg I was 14 years old.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sure awec barely tops 50kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Venjur's weight class was actually 75kg, he just competed at 69kg because he thought it was funny

• Administrators Posts: 53,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stheno wrote: »
    Sure awec barely tops 50kg
    71kg.

Heaviest I've ever been. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    71kg.

Dont worry

The baby will take care of that

How many weeks of freedom remain?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Venjur's weight class was actually 75kg, he just competed at 69kg because he thought it was funny

He was on en route to the weigh-in at 74.9kg, but then got sent a highlight reel of Ringrose, Larmour and James Lowe....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I need to either gain 3kg or buy a load of new jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

swiwi_ wrote: »
    So...and with thanks to Teferi for a few words of encouragement...I've started playing rugby again :eek: (well at I've been to a couple of training runs).

arv-monthey.jpg?itok=jrU25PKl

So mid-term report card.

Well, the first thing is I've discovered a bit more about rugby in Switzerland. There are roughly 5000 registered players here (men, women and juniors) for a population of about 8M, so it's very much a minority sport. My canton has 2 rugby clubs, and I travel about 80 km/50 minutes one way to get to training. We initially played teams only in the French part, but we are due to start playing teams all over Switzerland - that means lots of travel and a whole day gone for the away matches. My team is in the 2nd (of 3) divisions. According to those who know, the Swiss top division equates to French "Honneur", which is the 6th ranked system in France (Top 14, Pro D2, Fédérale 1,2,3 are better).

I remember visiting the NZ war museum in Auckland and being amazed at how many soldiers die off the battle-field in war-time (mainly car and plane accidents). Well, the same thing seems to be the case in rugby in terms of injuries! I've shipped none during the games, but got a fairly nasty mid-foot sprain (which kept me out of 2 games) and an AC joint strain, both at training. I think the padded vests are a good option, certainly for the shoulder areas anyway.

I've been impressed with the quality of training, one coach is English and the other French, and they have been surprisingly well organised. I've actually learnt quite a few technical details which you would never pick up if you only watch rugby and never play. We even have a 2 day training camp coming up next month.

Our team contains the odd genuinely good player (mostly French ex-pats), but the level is fairly average, as you'd expect. A lot of the guys have the physical attributes, but skills like vision, game management etc can be sorely wanting. As for myself, I'm in the veteran category - average age is 31 and I'm pushing 40. I haven't got the stamina for a whole game, so I've been restricted to stints off the bench. I thought I'd give midfield a crack, but it's pretty challenging to be honest, so I've moved back to my comfort zone of wing or fullback.

Highlight of the season would be the annual jaunt to one of the 6N countries. The first year they went to Wales, the 2nd year Scotland (including a guided visit of Murrayfield) and this year we went to France (Toulon). We stayed 3 days, played one of the local clubs (my first time on an artificial surface, it can be like sandpaper when you get tackled), and then watched Toulon play Racing in the Top 14. Alcohol may have been consumed...The team has England, Ireland and Italy left to visit in no particular order. I'd be keen to come back to Dublin for a match against one of the clubs and then watch Leinster at the RDS.

I haven't decided if I play a 2nd season yet. I'd like a bit more game time, otherwise it's a lot of investment in terms of time and travel. My club has a great ethos and camaraderie, it was only founded 10 years ago by some Swiss mates who watched some of the 2007 RWC and decided to start playing rugby. Our games are streamed on Facebook by one of the lads who had to retire because of a shoulder injury. A lot of the Swiss team-mates grew up playing football or ice hockey. The French ex-pats have more rugby experience.

It's a really interesting experience playing rugby in a non-rugby country, but so far I'm glad Teferi twisted my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    71kg.

Jesus do you carry stones in your pocket so you don’t blow away? You must be 3 or 4 inches taller than me, I have never been below 75kgs since I was about 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,171 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Has anyone background mysteriously changed to the black version?

• Advertisement

Ignore night mode was on

Actor and actor

or

Actor and actress

?

Depends if you want equality or awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Actor and actor

or

Actor and actress

?

Actors?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Depends if you want equality or awards.

I dunno... We seem to be able to give medals to Men and Women separately at the Olympics without calling one group "sprinters" and the other group "sprintesses"

kuang1 wrote: »
    Actors?

Yeah, the PC thing is actors or male actor and female actor. Which makes me think

"...you are cordially invited to attend the wedding of male Prince Harry and female Prince Meghan..."

I think actor and actress is fine. Unlike, say, poet and poetess, who both write poems, actors play male characters and actresses play female ones, so there is a genuine difference. But most newspapers go with actor these days, the Guardian does in any case. The Oscars still go with actress though. Might be the next trendy "cause célébre" for the twitter bandwagon, I suppose.

Cate Blanchett got nominated for best supporting actress for playing a man (Bob Dylan).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah, the PC thing is actors or male actor and female actor. Which makes me think

"...you are cordially invited to attend the wedding of male Prince Harry and female Prince Meghan..."

I think actor and actress is fine. Unlike, say, poet and poetess, who both write poems, actors play male characters and actresses play female ones, so there is a genuine difference. But most newspapers go with actor these days, the Guardian does in any case. The Oscars still go with actress though. Might be the next trendy "cause célébre" for the twitter bandwagon, I suppose.

In The Danish Girl did Eddie Redmayne play a man or a woman? Their job is no different. I'm being a little intentionally devils advocaty on this to be fair, but there is no reason for them to have different names.

Interestingly I read an article in the British Independent (I think) about how the opposite is happening in France. IE Liberals are rebelling against Gender Specific titles being changed to Gender Neutral ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Language evolves naturally. When we call them actors, then we'll call them actors. Until then, forcing people to abandon a completely normal and accetable word like actress is silly, to my mind. A term like manageress has faded out from our lexicon naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I read recently that a group wanted Postman Pat to be renamed Postperson Pat.

What this would achieve I have no idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement