Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I was at a BBQ this evening for a friend's 40th. I really am beginning to like this country, even if I remain baffled at how German's live past the age of 60.

Screen_Shot_2017_09_04_at_21_52_01.png

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah here, what are those things wrapped in aluminium foil... Can you actually post these pictures on here?

Ah here, what are those things wrapped in aluminium foil... Can you actually post these pictures on here?

Parcels of vegetables and sheeps cheese and dear god how did i not see how dong-like they were until now?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Parcels of vegetables and sheeps cheese and dear god how did i not see how dong-like they were until now?!

Is that they grey stuff on the grill? I thought it was tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that they grey stuff on the grill? I thought it was tripe

Look up...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    Look up...

Jaysis I'm a bit slow tonight!

So is anyone else battling an ambivalence over the soccer match tonight, i.e., wanting Ireland to win, but not wanting to suffer another month of Internet videos chronicling the contrived, attention-seeking antics of the "best fans in the world"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So is anyone else battling an ambivalence over the soccer match tonight, i.e., wanting Ireland to win, but not wanting to suffer another month of Internet videos chronicling the contrived, attention-seeking antics of the "best fans in the world"?

Ah, I'd always want Ireland to win.

Also, while I find those videos tedious beyond description, they will pale in comparison to the smug satisfaction I am going to get from explaining to everyone how we will be the greatest ever hosts of the RWC once that is announced. So I probably shouldn't judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So...and with thanks to Teferi for a few words of encouragement...I've started playing rugby again :eek: (well at I've been to a couple of training runs). First I needed to maintain Swiss neutrality, so that meant Leinster shorts and a Munster top.

I felt and no doubt appeared like some sort of uncoordinated retard, all those silky handling skills, no look passes, deft offloads, and amazing jinking runs that marked out my U16 career...gone :(

The team is half Swiss, half imports (mainly French expats). The colours are black and white, which is a nice touch :) All the good players wore AB training gear to practice...actually I tell a lie...there was no correlation between the jersey and the skill level. One of the guys introduced himself with what sounded to me like "Salivan". I was like "ça s'écrit comment?", and he was like "Sullivan, comme les Irlandais" :pac:. I was like"Oh, Sullivan" :pac: (I'm not lying, his name IS Sullivan).

Team came up with a really original nickname "Kiwi". I like the deep thought that went into it.

First game in 2.5 weeks - against the deadly rivals from Yverdon, Canton du Vaud. I'm debating throwing my hat in the ring for the trois quarts centre or else arrière...but I'm a lot more rotund and a lot less quick than back in the day. Team mascot is the back-up option. The squad's best player "Max" has really got the Carlos Spencer look going, complete with tank top, cap back to front, and a physique you just know the girls will cat-fight over. Pretty boy 10 - some things never change...

Podge_irl - no excuse lad, Geneva has rugby clubs too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Congrats man, take inspiration from the smallest and nimblest of Thirteens.

bastareaud3-741x445.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Throw your name in for the 6 shirt! That's where all us previously young fast skinny backs end up as we turn into fast slow grumpy auld lads..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I posted this in NFL as well, but figured I'd ask here too as I know a lot of ye are into it...

As someone who has dabbled, watched most of the last decades Superbowls, but only maybe a dozen games over the course of a year (and then sometimes only part of the games), but who really actually enjoys it when I do ... I've decided to pull the trigger and get the NFL Pass (I've cancelled Sky Sports so might as well).

So question for ye all, I've decided to pick a team and focus on their games each week and 'support' - so I'm looking for recommendations. I don't want a team like the Patriots who'll likely be a guaranteed pick for there or thereabouts but equally not someone like the Browns or the Bears who are totally ****. Middle of the road, but potentially might go on a run would be perfect. Suggestions?

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

swiwi_ wrote: »
    So...and with thanks to Teferi for a few words of encouragement...I've started playing rugby again :eek: (well at I've been to a couple of training runs). First I needed to maintain Swiss neutrality, so that meant Leinster shorts and a Munster top.

I felt and no doubt appeared like some sort of uncoordinated retard, all those silky handling skills, no look passes, deft offloads, and amazing jinking runs that marked out my U16 career...gone :(

The team is half Swiss, half imports (mainly French expats). The colours are black and white, which is a nice touch :) All the good players wore AB training gear to practice...actually I tell a lie...there was no correlation between the jersey and the skill level. One of the guys introduced himself with what sounded to me like "Salivan". I was like "ça s'écrit comment?", and he was like "Sullivan, comme les Irlandais" :pac:. I was like"Oh, Sullivan" :pac: (I'm not lying, his name IS Sullivan).

Team came up with a really original nickname "Kiwi". I like the deep thought that went into it.

First game in 2.5 weeks - against the deadly rivals from Yverdon, Canton du Vaud. I'm debating throwing my hat in the ring for the trois quarts centre or else arrière...but I'm a lot more rotund and a lot less quick than back in the day. Team mascot is the back-up option. The squad's best player "Max" has really got the Carlos Spencer look going, complete with tank top, cap back to front, and a physique you just know the girls will cat-fight over. Pretty boy 10 - some things never change...

Podge_irl - no excuse lad, Geneva has rugby clubs too :D

You playing at #3 these days?

9ers

:pac:

Seriously though I'd look at the Raiders. Exciting team with limited recent success but got all the pieces to go far this year.

(I'm assuming Swiwi will ignore my NFL related post and not notice I'm avoiding his suggestion to play rugby here...)

awec wrote: »
    You playing at #3 these days?

You playing with #2 these days?

Buccaneers. We have Jameis.

Not only are they the greatest team in the history of the entire NFL and also likely the entirety of field sports but you can watch Hard Knocks on Gamepass which is a documentary about their pre-season (this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

Bucs, Titans or Raiders. All teams with young shiny franchise QB's, have the potential to go places over the next few seasons.

+1 for Hard Knocks, last season wasn't great but I'm loving Jameis and co. this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You playing with #2 these days?

Well played sir....very well played.

Unless you want to end up a miserable, McCafferty-loving degenerate like ibf I'd avoid the perennially disappointing Bucs.

Hard Knocks is great. I always thought this sequence from the Miami year was fascinating. They trade a guy away and you see clips of the negotiations all the way to informing the player he was being shipped off to Indianapolis

Of course as is to be expected Davis went on to be one of the best cornerbacks in the league last season and the guy who traded him has long since been fired and is unemployable as a manager now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

I'd also make a case for Matt Stafford and the Lions. The comebacks last season were ridiculously fun to watch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jets all the way!

not someone like the Browns or the Bears who are totally ****.
    Jets all the way!

Does not compute

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I posted this in NFL as well, but figured I'd ask here too as I know a lot of ye are into it...

As someone who has dabbled, watched most of the last decades Superbowls, but only maybe a dozen games over the course of a year (and then sometimes only part of the games), but who really actually enjoys it when I do ... I've decided to pull the trigger and get the NFL Pass (I've cancelled Sky Sports so might as well).

So question for ye all, I've decided to pick a team and focus on their games each week and 'support' - so I'm looking for recommendations. I don't want a team like the Patriots who'll likely be a guaranteed pick for there or thereabouts but equally not someone like the Browns or the Bears who are totally ****. Middle of the road, but potentially might go on a run would be perfect. Suggestions?

I support the Bears. :(

Here's one team each from the AFC and NFC.

I'd take the Raiders from the AFC as their offense will be fun to watch with a up and coming QB in Carr, Marshawn Lynch at RB and two great receivers in Crabtree and Cooper. Their defense isn't great but Khalil Mack is a superstar. The division is tough so the 'derbies' will be big matchups.

From the NFC I'd look at the Vikings. They have an exciting rookie RB in Dalvin Cook and their defense is excellent. They were ruined by injuries last year. Again the division will be reasonably competitive with the Packers and Lions.

Or you could just join Buer and support the Jets. You'll have the first overall pick next year. :D

Pick a team that get cold weather at least. There's just something so soulless about players and fans enjoying sunshine and warmth later on in the season. I just can't take those games seriously. The true romance of American football are the freezing cold night games, usually up in the north east, players wrapped in military grade thermal wear, steam rising from linemen heads, one brave lunatic in the crowd wearing nothing but body paint, the lights, the atmosphere... it's really something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Please. I'm not a Connacht fan.

According to Rush Limbaugh, people are only covering Hurricane Irma in order to advance the climate change conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What is the deal with the conservative commentators coming out so strongly against climate-change? Have they all got investments in oil or something?

Following some of the political commentary over there (on both sides) would put you off politics. It's poisonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

What is the deal with the conservative commentators coming out so strongly against climate-change? Have they all got investments in oil or something?

Following some of the political commentary over there (on both sides) would put you off politics. It's poisonous.

It's the opposite of the liberal position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

My favourite climate denial came from an Irish woman on RTE a few months back. She claimed that there is no way that we could be having such a huge effect on the planet because, relative to the size of the planet, we're so small.

She's obviously never fallen ill due to bacteria or a virus or anything like that. Because there's no way something so small, relative to a human, could have such an effect on humans.

Some people are just mental.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement