Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    Had to Google that. They look deadly. Where did you get them?

There's a place on the quays near Jervis st that has them and other fab goodies

Are you not on a diet though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stheno wrote: »

Christ no!! I keep fairly active with my job so I balance that out by drinking beer and eating shìte.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    Christ no!! I keep fairly active with my job so I balance that out by drinking beer and eating shìte.

I can't imagine the horror of dieting

I remembered the name it's panem

http://panem.ie/food-menu-2/#category-sweet-menu

But they no longer have canolli according to the menu

Worth a visit though I worked beside it for a year and put on about half a stone due to the goodies

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dolce Sicily, Dawson St

Ricotta Cannolo

• Advertisement

Dolce Sicily, Dawson St

Ricotta Cannolo

Are you just the ultimate gourmand?

Are you just the ultimate gourmand?

Losing a part of my pashun by the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Are cannoli not just posh Italian brandy snaps? :confused:

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Should that not be Cannoli?

Trust the poster called prawnsambo to know his uppity food grammar. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pah. Stuck in stupid Frankfurt airport. But they can’t put me up in one of the on site terminals. Noooo. I have to get one 20 minutes away combined with a 7am flight to get up for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Trust the poster called prawnsambo to know his uppity food grammar. :D

I can guarantee you he won't touch a Cannolo that wasn't made in Sicily either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Lads, if you were to buy a new phone tomorrow, what would you get? Need a new one asap and want something with a good camera.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Lads, if you were to buy a new phone tomorrow, what would you get? Need a new one asap and want something with a good camera.

OnePlus 5T.

dregin wrote: »
    OnePlus 5T.

I thought about that but am very reluctant to buy from them after their data breach recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Utterly laughable

It's actually really impressive to manage this given that the Republicans control both senate and congress.

Somehow though, it's the Dem's fault.

mr-bean.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Any recommendations for pubs to watch England v Ireland in Madrid?

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Two weeks in to my dry January and I'm starting to struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

awec wrote: »

I didn't make it two days in to January without a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's actually really impressive to manage this given that the Republicans control both senate and congress.
    The budget requires 60 senate votes, not just a majority. The Republicans needed the support of the Democrats.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

I broke it at 5.50 today when the wife forgot and treated me to two bottles of wicked wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

dregin wrote: »
    Any recommendations for pubs to watch England v Ireland in Madrid?

James Joyce will be showing it. I was there in august to watch the joyous occasion of Dublin hammering Tyrone.
    Will be full of Irish...grub didn't seem too bad and the pints were grand.

If you get a chance pay a visit to The Market of San Miguel. It's a really nice ornate steel and glass building with various food and drink options. Really good buzz around it at night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Samsung S6/7/8 have great cameras, although I have a photographer mate and he's raving about the new Google phone - Google Pixel 2xl. Reckons it's by far the best phone camera he's ever seen. I've a Samsung S6 and it's a great phone

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Saw Molly’s Game tonight. Enjoyed it. Possibly Sorkins best screenplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I thought about that but am very reluctant to buy from them after their data breach recently.

I have the previous model, the OnePlus 5 - It's a fine phone for the price, but the speakers are terrible, and I find the WiFi to be a bit wonky (though it's improved with a few updates).

Performance wise, it's lightning fast, great battery and storage is huge. I wouldn't know enough about cameras to tell you if it's any use.

It's also very convenient to have 2 SIM slots, so it's great when you live abroad, having a number people at home can call, while simultaneously having access to your local number (or are dual SIMs now standard?).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,166 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Nokia always had great cameras. When they went to Microsoft, that continued. Not sure what their current offerings are like, but here's an example of what my Lumia 950 takes.

This is reduced to 1/4 original size so as not to screw up the board.

439360.jpg

I've taken some really nice pics with my Nexus 5x but the battery has started to struggle in the last 2 weeks. I'm away on vacation in a 1.5 weeks so I won't have enough time to wait on delivery ( according to oneplus support). I was thinking about the Galaxy S8 but it has an uninstallable Facebook app. HTC U11 might be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I got fibre installed in my new place. 40 Mb up/down in the living room but can't even stream Netflix from the bedroom and it's not a big apartment.

Is there some cheap WiFi booster I can get?

I've been looking into this issue because we will be moving into a multi-story house with lots of concrete and I'm anally retentive when it comes to internet speed and wifi connectivity.

I'm not an expert (so I stand to be corrected), but there appears to be 3 options, the 3rd of which was suggested to me by my brother-in-law

1) Range extender. This IMO is the worst option. This basically picks up the failing wifi signal and the boosts it. The downside is they are less fast than the primary signal...and they create a 2nd network - fine if you have say a fixed computer upstairs (on network 1) and downstairs (on network 2), but if you move round your house with your mobile, you have to change network: Painful

2) 2nd access point: You connect the main router to a 2nd access point via a wired connection (including if you want via the electricity cables), which can also be a 2nd wifi point if you wish. Its a good option IMO if you don't need to create a 2nd wifi network (eg the computer upstairs connects to the 2nd access point via an ethernet cable), but otherwise you have the same problem as option 1 with multiple wifi networks.

3) What's called a mesh network. I haven't quite got my head around the technical details yet, but you basically have fast internet everywhere...all on the same wifi network. It basically provides blanket wifi coverage. It requires a bit more investment though and is the most expensive option.

No doubt, IBF, or some other technie will know more than me.

http://uk.pcmag.com/eero/87178/guide/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems-of-2018

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Powerline adapters are great, provided the wiring in the apartment isn't brutal. Range extenders are generally brutal, they just try to amplify the signal. 2nd AP would work but you'd have to find a way of running an ethernet cable from your modem to it.

We use Powerline adapters around the house and separate APs and haven't had any issues and see little speed differences. Just make sure if you're looking at them to get the highest bandwidth ones if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You are pretty much spot on there Swiwi.

There are actually routers out there that you can buy that will set up multiple access points on the same network out of the box with very little effort. Apple's airports do that.

An option to keep in mind is network over power. If you're in a house it can be a handy way to get multiple routers on the same network and not having to bother to wire the ethernet up stairs and around corners. You definitely don't want to be leaving cables exposed in your house Swiwi, it would be a disaster if you accidentally spilled your Raclette on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement