Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

you should just "GET OVER" ever owning a home says PP boss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The rental environment here has regulation up the ar5e

"Free market reign" my granny

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

anything from RPZ to the length of time the RTB process takes in terms of evicting

That's not very specific, but ok.

The RTB does an awful job for Tenants and for Landlords.

As for RPZ, they are a half arsed reaction to spiraling rental costs. Rent increases should be regulated country wide, like they are in most of Europe.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The various bits of regulation, like RPZ etc that the government have brought in will push out small landlords. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing since it would be better in the long term to have more institutional landlords, they won't have an issue fixing a boiler and won't need the property for their son or daughter. In the short term as they sell up it will require tenants to move. I think the only way to have low rents is to increase supply, the various reactive measures always have unintended side effects.

In terms of affordable housing, if we say that someone on 35k would require a subsidy of 150k to buy an affordable property (to buy it 150k below market rate as that is what is affordable to them). It seems unlikely that the government could manage this on any large scale. They are paying 4.3k income tax per year so they would be receiving 34 years of tax contribution as an upfront subsidy. I can't see how they can make this work on a large scale, there will of course be some chosen ones who benefit from it.

I think if people want to buy they need to stop thinking they should be able to just save for 2 years. You need to start building up savings/investments in your 20's. At that time its a lot easier to put up with house shares or even living at home. By the time you hit 30 you will have a decent amount put by. But really, in my opinion, you need to hit 30 with something to show for your 20's.

• Advertisement

• Do not be sorry, in fact we should make their ilk and the politicians who work for them sorry.

Otherwise you hand your children a huge decrease in living standards compared to us and our parents generation

• you drank too much kool aid. That or you have a vested interest...

And no you do not pay in perpetuity, once your mortgage is paid off its done. But you already knew that didnt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Is something needed like a hefty tax on an individual/company with say more than 3 homes - to encourage them to sell their excess properties

which would bring more homes on the market- so the guards and nurses/people with ‘ordinary’ jobs could buy a home.

if investors were not buying homes in Ireland (or discouraged a little) surly house prices would fall considerably?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No.

There aren't enough houses

If you need 20 apples. Tommy has 10. Taxing his apples isn't going to give you 20 apples. You'll still have 10 apples

We need to build houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I think that all citizens have the right for housing.

• Advertisement

This, it’s irrelevant who owns the houses. Supply is the issue.

they/them/theirs

You keep saying “the left” but you don’t really say who you mean. It’s sounding a little bizarre.

they/them/theirs

Which can be rented if they don't earn/save enough to buy a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

We have net inward migration of over 30,000 per year.

We have an immigration crisis, not a housing one.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

And when rent is more than mortgage repayments on a similar home? And when rent increases with inflation while inflation reduces the real cost of mortgage repayments over time?

For those who have been squeezed out of home ownership for life who is going to provide the social housing when they retire or who is going to subsidise their market rate rent?

Insufficient affordable housing is a problem that only compounds over time. The longer the can is kicked down the road the bigger a problem it will become.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The article is correct. By 2050 Ireland will have ½ million muslims. They're not allowed get mortgages so most of the population will rent.

I agree it would be good to have housing more affordable for rental and purchase.

I don't see any particular issue with it being cheaper to buy than rent. It can make sense at times depending on interest rates and demand in rental market. There will be times when it is cheaper to rent than buy as well. I suppose some people feel the central bank rules are somehow keeping them locked out of the market, but the fact is they are keeping a lid on the whole thing.

There are financial products, compatable with the principles of Islam.

https://www.imoney.my/articles/islamic-property-financing

Being a Muslim does not stop someone buying a home or financing a home purchase.

• Advertisement

I would see it as a significant and unsustainable systemic problem if we allow a situation develop where an increasing proportion of our population will need some form of housing assistance, whether that is social housing or subsidised rent, for approximately one third of their adult life.

When state pension affordability is a looming problem we don't need to add fuel to the fire by adding the confluence of home affordability to the problem at the same time.

Well obviously the state will have to provide housing for those who cannot afford it themselves. I think it would be a good idea for the state to build some housing for rental, but not lifetime/multi-generational tenancies as you have currently in social housing.

And that is a potentially huge problem.

If we don't do something now to help more people own their own home before they retire there will be increasing financial demands on the state coffers to provide housing supports at the same time there will be increasing demand on the state coffers to fund pensions due to changing demographics.

While moving tenants in social housing to maximise occupancy rates might be appealing from a purely financial sense there are less easily measured human and social costs in terms of stability, community, isolation.

We would be looking at providing low cost rentals in apartments for retirees. I think there is a role for the state to play in the provision of housing even if it doesn't really have a great track record at delivering.

Given the cost of materials/land/labour, a single person on an average wage doesn't earn enough to buy a house/apartment without significant savings or state help. We can't really compare houses today to the ones built in the 70's or 80's, they aren't the same thing. My parents moved into a new build house in 1980 with no heating system other than a fire in the sitting room, single glazed windows and no insulation. It would barely qualify as a shell nowadays. All of these things have significantly increased the cost. If you want to have the best chance to buy something you really need to focus on it early, start building up savings from your early 20's, when it is possible to put up with living at home or house sharing. These things aren't ideal as you get into your 30's and especially once you start thinking about a family. So, if you find yourself mid 30's, no savings and average wage, you will find it difficult. We really need to be encouraging people to think about providing enough for the future from an early age. When you leave school/college/training, the clock towards retirement is ticking, you need to accumulate enough in assets/savings/investments to ;provide for the future.

The financial cost of providing social housing is enormous so it should be used as efficiently as possible. I know of many cases where the family council house has passed to a "child", so we have a house that could provide a home for a family with a couple of kids being used for a single adult. This is quite common actually and that is before you even get into the retiree who may be living in the house alone after the kids have left. Given that it costs several hundred thousand for a house, it isn't too much to ask that it be used in the best way possible. It would be great if people could have the state provide them with a house in an area they like for their whole life, it isn't realistic given the cost though.

You will own nothing and you will be happy.

Smaller nations should be lobbying the EU for restrictions on freedom of residency within the EU.

Without this smaller nations will soon cease to exist as their populations will be replaced in short order.

Also, we are still granting a large number of work visas to non EU residents as the CSO figures highlight, this should be halted completely while we have effectively zero housing availability and hospital capacity.

Excessive immigration was one of the main reasons that the UK voted for Brexit, ordinary working people were frustrated with stagnating wages due to massive inward migration. Now I don't agree that Brexit was the solution to this but my point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I currently own 35 properties in the Dublin area. I watched a great video recently on how to keep a tenants deposit. Wealth of information in the video. I'm not short of a few quid so I hire goons to extract the rent from bad tenants. I once hired scumbags I know to throw a petrol bomb through the front window of a tenant from hell that i had at one stage.

Freedom of movement is fundamental to the EU, we either continue to accept it or leave. The idea of lobbying the EU to change that is empty words. There is no middle option, there never will be

The majority of non EU residents are highly skilled and badly needed to keep economy afloat: doctors, nurses, engineers etc. .

Solving one problem by creating a much bigger one isn’t the answer. Building more houses is a fairly simple answer, the government are not forcing the hand of developers though

they/them/theirs

It's just as well that I said freedom of residency and not freedom of movement then.There is much more stringent enforcement of existing freedom of residency rules in other member states, in Ireland this is virtually non existent. We do not even have a mechanism by which to register residency.

Saying that anything within the EU is completely beyond discussion is ridiculous. We have jumped into many things blindly - such as the Euro, currency union without fiscal union and this has caused major issues which were unforeseen at its creation.

Immigration is now a massive issue throughout the EU. Non EU migrants are arriving at a rate never seen before. It is only right and sensible that the rules need to be adjusted to reflect this change in circumstances.

Have you evidence to support your statement that the majority of non EU residents are highly skilled? This has not been my own experience.

What much bigger problem are you suggesting that a comprehensive immigration policy would create?

We have a terrible track record of building and maintaining physical and social infrastructure for our existing (relatively static) population. I don't feel optimistic about our chances of delivering radical improvements in this to support a rapid influx of non nationals that generally require even greater social supports.

• Advertisement

Every citizen on an EU member has the right to reside in any member state. Freedom of movement includes residency, if you have a point to make then make it.

In order to legally work in Ireland as a non EU citizen you need to be granted a work permit under pretty strict conditions, or complete the process of seeking asylum. The former we need, the latter we take in as obligated under UN treaty.

But this is all a distraction. The construction of homes is the problem. And guess who we need to build the homes? Immigrants.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement