Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

you should just "GET OVER" ever owning a home says PP boss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

There are two classes in society, the working class, who make up the majority of the population within society and must work to survive, and the capitalist class, a small minority who derives profit from employing the working class through private ownership of the means of production.

The PP boss is part of the capitalist class who own everything and want to exploit the people as much as they possibly can without making it too obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's very simple really. In Dublin at least, it's cheaper to pay a mortgage than to pay rent on a similar property and at with a mortgage you are paying towards a very valuable asset.

Not all parents hate their children.

Your a very negative person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That analysis isn't ancient or lacking in nuance at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

• Advertisement

I'm serious about mocking you're Das Kapital style slogan

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Very different. Higgins didn't campaign for election on the basis of a pro-Castro platform. Whereas the Leavers did campaign on the basis of stoking fears about immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Sad to think the original post is 6 years old this year and things are worse than ever.

I was thinking of buying in 2017 (not a long term buy as I will move location) and thought things were overpriced then. That decision has probably cost me around 200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The problem is house prices keep rising , rents can go up in a few years, let's say google or some tech company opens offices in a city or area, most techies are on high wages. They will drive up the rent of most rental units in the area for everyone In 20 years when you retire who knows what rent will be probably alot higher than it is now. You could buy a 2 bed apartment get a room mate earn a bit from the rent to help pay off the mortgage . Landlords sell up or maybe get in bad health, and no longer wish to manage a rental unit. I don't think a mortgage ties you down as you could always rent out the property. You may wake up in 4 years and discover you can't even afford to buy a 1 bed apartment in the area where you work The reason most people try to buy property is they do not wish to be at the mercy of landlords for life

A woman rang up the Joe Duffy show 2 months ago. she says she has kids she can't even get on a list to view a rental property she has 5 weeks to move out she spends about 2k on rent every month she can't get a mortgage after paying rent esb bills etc she's in a catch 22 she can't save up for a Deposit to buy a house Unless you have a council flat there's no security of tenure in this country the problem is there's simply not enough housing being built to even catch with demand from 5 years ago. Alot of the rental property out there is mediocre Government policy seems to be designed to drive small landlords out of the market and make it easy for vulture funds to buy any property on the market

They were actually fearful of immigration. Which hasn’t been great for unskilled workers.

• Advertisement

She’s a proletarian by 19C Marxist standards, except for the income she gets from her shares - and even then she’s a worker being exploited by herself.

im not saying she isn’t elite though, but 19C Marxism isn’t very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

No one likes to link any problem to immigration these days, you'll get criticised for racism or told that you're like people who support Trump or Brexit. It's bizarre, but that happens regularly.

But anyway, mass immigration to Ireland since the Maastricht Treaty has been a major factor in the housing crisis. It'd be nice if it wasn't, but it is.

Immigrants are people, your economy might want workers at certain times, but you get people, who need to be housed, educated and need healthcare. And it is only right to point out that the vast, vast majority of the people who have come to Ireland are excellent people who make a positive contribution to society.

However it is still true that mass immigration has been a huge factor in the housing crisis. Anyone who says it isn't is not telling the truth. Ireland, relative to its population, has had hundreds of thousands of people arrive since 2004 and a long standing policy on immigration has resulted in a housing crisis. There are other factors for sure, but none as significant.

Unfortunately in Irish politics there isn't even the will to acknowledge that truth let alone suggest an alternative humane and functional immigration policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Not in the slightest but parents DO like to get their space back and they resent becoming involuntary childminders/taxi drivers/food suppliers for the offspring that should be self sufficient. We have two daughters of college going age and they are home at present but they fully understand that they must move on and sort themselves out. We will help them in any way we can and will always be here as a back up. It has nothing to do with negativity or hate,just reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

the housing problem has driven out productive foreigners,many of whom have gone home with their skills and savings to live in affordable housing at home.they want to stay here but are priced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

All thats left is Irish cute hoors who want to be paid loads for doing nothing / bossing foreigners around? This in turn means if you want someone to actually do something for you there's only a small pool of eejits left who are still doing actual work. Fierce amount of rent-seeking going on these days

all they did was replace the hundreds of thousands who left in the previous 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Will you tell this to half of Dublin's South Circular Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

When I heard about the new report released about the cost of housing from the PBO on the news today. It has made me think that the housing situation in this country has made a extremely grim outlook look even worse for society than ever.

Both renters and potential home owners who live here are now faced with a potentially huge catastrophe when they are faced with buying or renting any form of accommodation to look after themselves and their families.

And the sort of of statistics that we are talking about here reported in the link above are going to disproportionately hit the young age groups a lot more when they get the opportunity try to save up money to buy a new home for themselves in the future.

It is going to become impossible for someone within this age group to actually get the chance to buy or rent a suitable form of accommodation here while these sort of statistics are written in front of their faces.

This new reality will enable young people with the increasing inevitably that they will have to emigrate to other countries to get a new place to live for themselves. If that cannot happen; they would have to continue live at home with their parents in the long term if they want to continue to work here if they cannot afford to rent a property in the long term or if they are in a job which cannot allow them to be able to leave their workplace.

It is indeed unfortunate that all existing contributory factors to the housing shortage can't be highlighted but that's the law of WOKE culture

You can't acknowledge certain truth or facts , hence why leading commentators on the housing situation like Marxist academic Rory Hearne never once mentions the increase in population since 2011 by way of significant inward immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Emigration was at a higher rate than immigration between 2011 and 2014.

We've only actually seen immigration take over from 2015 and it's already peaked and looking to potentially be going back the other way.

Hardly the cause of a housing crisis when the numbers leaving and the numbers entering almost cancel each other out.

More reading on the stats for you here:

https://emn.ie/immigration-decreases-by-nearly-24-in-year-to-april-2021/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

A lot of the people who left in the 2011-2014 period probably lived with family, so where they lived would still be occupied. Most people coming into the country wouldn't have that family support to rely on (although a few might) so it's not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It still cancels out, those people 'living at home' would have been looking to move out - hence moving away. The homes they didn't move to here could be taken by those immigrating to Ireland instead.

From what I've seen with a lot of sub standard rentals for new immigrants, a lot are packed tightly into spaces with bunkbeds. You could argue that unit for unit, an Irish person would probably take up more space moving out than a new immigrant would moving in.

It's all speculation anyway and the only thing you can rely on are the actual numbers, which I've posted above. I really don't think this is another thing people can blame on immigration, as much as The Nationalist Party would like us to.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Some stats on renting vs buying. Looks like we pay almost the same for both.

https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/home-contents-insurance/renting-vs-buying-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Folks

FYI.

I retired recently. Income halved (or worse)

My rent is zero. Mortgage repaid since 2016.

Rental around me is €2000.00 ish per month.

Not much difference right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard some significant news from Focus Ireland today about the worsening rental crisis in this country. It appears the issue with paying the higher rents is set to continue as the charity is becoming alarmed that more tenants are now going to become homeless from their rental properties. The charity has said to the media today that more landlords are going into retirement or having significant tax issues while tenants are still trying to pay their rents to keep them on their lease agreements.

SF's Eoin O'Broin was talking about a motion to actually extend the grace period of tenancy agreements with landlords that took place during the pandemic to prevent the homeless figures from going 10k people.

O'Broin was suggesting to RTÉ today that the 10k homeless figures could be exceeded within 3 months. But I do have a feeling that more people could add to that figure much quicker if the pace of private landlords going out of the business altogether is going to accelerate much faster than ever before.

If the people who work in the private corporations here are seeing this problem become more apparent as time goes on. What more measures can they do to actually try to alleviate this potentially disastrous situation from getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Go to any shop , hotel, cafe, 90 per cent of the staff are non nationals, I.m not racist our economy needs skilled workers from the EU. The problem is we need 1000s of workers to build 30k housing units per year, to catch up or gen z will be stuck living at home or paying high rents for mediocre rental units in dublin only the top 14 per cent in income can buy a house

at least in America they have low cost trailer parks for people on low income to live in. The government needs to change the tax on small landlords eg people who have 2 or 3 tenants. We are facing rising inflation, high oil petrol prices supply chain shortages. I can see no sign of the housing situation improving at all

Every apartment block being built there's people objecting to it.

Anyone in the EU can move here if they want to. But I think we have reached the limit in that our present rental system cannot even provide units for the population we have now someone needs to draw a cartoon. With Ireland as a house with a sign outside saying No vacancys , full up. No more rooms left.

It's like the Christmas hospital trolley story, every 6 months focus says the homeless situation is getting worse .

I believe them, I'm not being sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

We're about to take in 200,000 people for an indefinite period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's pretty fcuked up when you see young people seriously looking at living in vans and "tiny house" things.

Let's hope these Ukrainian women and children are handy with concrete blocks and plastering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

So we need cheap labour so we can undercut people in proper wage paid jobs so we can get housing for more cheap migrant labour? Does anyone think the whole system is a ponzi scheme at this stage.

Meanwhile inflationary costs are rising due to more demand and so the process continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

God help young people. Pints in Dublin are now e7 in many local pubs etc and they are working for what e10.50 an hour ?

The cost of everything here is madness. Better off emigrating

Advertisement