Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin Gin Gin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Anyone go to the Gin Experience in Dublin Castle over the weekend?

you where not at it??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

oblivious wrote: »
    you where not at it??

Yes. Good event.
    We had a Blackwater stand and a Boyle's stand.
    The only Irish producers I can think of that weren't there were St. Patrick's and Highbank Orchard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Did anyone got a chance to try Bombay Amber? Any good?

E00mQWm.jpg

I bough a bottle 4 years ago in Toronto Airport for 40CAD and just sported that the price sky rocketed to +700 Euro

Crazy!!! Shame to open it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Bought a bottle of Tanqueray gin export strength (43.1%) €20 in TESCO. Grand for a few Tom Collins drinks for the Sumner's evening.

Beefeater was €21 & Plymouth €22

oneilla wrote: »
    Bought a bottle of Tanqueray gin export strength (43.1%) €20 in TESCO. Grand for a few Tom Collins drinks for the Sumner's evening.

Beefeater was €21 & Plymouth €22

Plymouth is a very good gin for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I think O’Brien’s have it dirt cheap every now and then.

A strange anomaly, I had a bottle of tanqueray that was 47.3% I looked it up and it was Canadian export only, but the bottle was definitely bought in France or England.... not sure how I ended up with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Was there a price bump when Plymouth changed bottle designed from the tall/slim to the smaller greenish bottle?

oneilla wrote: »
    Was there a price bump when Plymouth changed bottle designed from the tall/slim to the smaller greenish bottle?

Plymouth's price point seems kinda random.
    I've seen it in the UK for more than Hendrick's.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

the Aldi website says there is a "Gin Festival" on May 31st.
    when I click the link it seems to just bring me to a list of Gins
    https://www.aldi.ie/c/groceries/beer%2C-wine-%26-spirits/Spirits?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AgroceryType%3AIrish+Gin+Festival&lowerBound=24&upperBound=30&text=

I like the Boyles one that they have (this list has a Raspberry Boyles), anyone know the others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'd obviously recommend our Boyle's raspberry gin - we're very pleased with it.

The Listoke gin should be good - they make good gins.

I've been to Eden Mill - proper operation, good products.

I haven't had Bulldog. It's a well known international brand.

I couldn't comment on the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I'd obviously recommend our Boyle's raspberry gin - we're very pleased with it.

How strong is the taste of raspberrys? I know its prob quite a subjective question. Tempted to pick up a bottle as i loooooove the regular version

Hogzy wrote: »
    How strong is the taste of raspberrys? I know its prob quite a subjective question. Tempted to pick up a bottle as i loooooove the regular version

It's gin first and foremost.
    It isn't sweetened.
    I'd call the raspberry flavour subtle but very much there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Anyone tried Jackford Potato Gin?

It's only new but seems to be rolling out in Wexford and possibly elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

It's gin first and foremost.
    It isn't sweetened.
    I'd call the raspberry flavour subtle but very much there.

Sold out before lunchtime in my local Aldi.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Sold out before lunchtime in my local Aldi.

I'm not surprised. They didn't order enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Went to Aldi this morning about 11.30 and procured a bottle of the Rhubarb one and a bottle of Boyles Raspberry. Will try the Boyles one this evening. I normally use Fevertree naturally light tonic, any recommendations for both of the above gratefully accepted.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Went to Aldi this morning about 11.30 and procured a bottle of the Rhubarb one and a bottle of Boyles Raspberry. Will try the Boyles one this evening. I normally use Fevertree naturally light tonic, any recommendations for both of the above gratefully accepted.

I'd stick with the Fevertree for the Boyle's.
    No idea about the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'm not surprised. They didn't order enough.

Will it be back?

• Advertisement

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Will it be back?

Don't know yet but I suspect so.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Picked up the towers, brennans old house and a boyles just to be safe. They didn't have any of the raspberry when I was in, they were also out of limes which I like in a boyles g&t.

We had a tasting of both the raspberry and the rhubarb ones tonight. We put fresh raspberries and some rose petals (from a gin kit purchased in Malaga airport) in it and added the Fevertree light - very delicious. To the rhubarb one we added a wedge of orange and a couple of very thin slices of ginger and also topped it off with Fevertree light. It was quite nice but I think I might prefer it with ginger ale so will try that over the weekend. All in all, two verynice gins 😀

We had a tasting of both the raspberry and the rhubarb ones tonight. We put fresh raspberries and some rose petals (from a gin kit purchased in Malaga airport) in it and added the Fevertree light - very delicious. To the rhubarb one we added a wedge of orange and a couple of very thin slices of ginger and also topped it off with Fevertree light. It was quite nice but I think I might prefer it with ginger ale so will try that over the weekend. All in all, two verynice gins 😀

Is the rhubarb one sweetened?

I don’t think so. I’m not home until tomorrow so I’ll check then.

Is the rhubarb one sweetened?

It’s infused with rhubarb.

It’s infused with rhubarb.

I'm really not trying to be difficult but that doesn't tell me whether it's sweetened or not.

Does it taste sweet when sipped straight?

Ha, you picked the wrong day to ask me that. I’m just out of hospital and on probably the only antibiotic where you absolutely cannot drink. I’ll get one of my daughters to have a sip later and will let you know. No gin for me for another week 😩😩

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Ha, you picked the wrong day to ask me that. I’m just out of hospital and on probably the only antibiotic where you absolutely cannot drink. I’ll get one of my daughters to have a sip later and will let you know. No gin for me for another week 😩😩

As long as it stops at a sip :D

• Advertisement

Well, it’s been tried and tested and the consensus is that it’s bitter with a sweet aftertaste. This makes sense as when I tried it on Thursday I initially had it just with a slice of orange but preferred it when I added the ginger. Oh, it definitely stopped at a sip ��

Advertisement