Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin Gin Gin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I still prefer Club to Schweppes on the mass market tonic options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Grapefruit and juniper berries is a new and tasty one for me although you still can’t beat lemon.

Have the angostura bitters with the Plymouth gin, that’s what it was meant for.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Never considered mixing Ginger Ale with gin before but why not, must give it a try.

And Grapefruit is a great idea! It would be along the lines of lemon I'd imagine taste wise so another thing on the shopping list.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fresh herbs can be really nice in a gin.

Elderflower cordial and sparkling water is a nice change from tonic - lime pares well with this.

Some boffins came up with a "scientifically proven" perfect garnish for every gin.
    While that idea is clearly online clickbait and free newspaper nonsense, the universal garnish that they came up with is actually pretty good - mango.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gin and bitter lemon works for me - it's my go-to drink on an aircraft if they have it.

I've tried a few tonics and none of them lit my fire. A good gin is drinkable straight or with just a little water. I've been enjoying a bottle of Tanqueray with a bit of water and a squirt of lemon juice, so much so that I've had to buy another bottle :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

CDBWhoop wrote: »
    Never considered mixing Ginger Ale with gin before but why not, must give it a try.

And Grapefruit is a great idea! It would be along the lines of lemon I'd imagine taste wise so another thing on the shopping list.

Opihr is nice with ginger ale. I don't like tonic at all so if I'm having a gin I'll use a small bit of ginger ale or soda water (add fresh lemon juice and sugar syrup for a Tom Collins)!

The Blackwater Hedgerow gin is nice with ginger ale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Adyx wrote: »

You've been hanging onto that for a while!
    People might kill you for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

CDBWhoop wrote: »

Adyx wrote: »
    Opihr is nice with ginger ale. I don't like tonic at all so if I'm having a gin I'll use a small bit of ginger ale or soda water (add fresh lemon juice and sugar syrup for a Tom Collins)!

Ophir, Gunpowder and brockmans works very well with Ginger Ale.

Tanquary 10 does not :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You've been hanging onto that for a while!
    People might kill you this.

Haha I know! I think we got in a case when it first came out so we've just been working through it since. Dan was even in a while ago and took a picture of it on the shelf because he said you just don't see it anywhere anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Mixing gin & ginger ale (and the juice of half a lime!) is a Gin Buck! Not so popular these days but very delicious. A dash of angostura bitters is nice in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I'm looking to get a bottle of decent but good value gin for the Xmas season to offer people. Super Valu have Tanquery gin for €20 at the moment. I was also looking at Boyle's gin in Aldi. Anyone know which would be better? Don't really want to spend more than €25 or so. Cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Boyle's is excellent value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Boyle's is excellent value IMO.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Lads, what do you think of a bottle of Blackwater No. 5 as a worthy gift for a Gin drinker?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Passenger wrote: »
    Lads, what do you think of a bottle of Blackwater No. 5 as a worthy gift for a Gin drinker?

Great gift!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

That would be a lovely gift. I’ll pm you my address😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Itdepends

If my fella bought me bottle of that I'd be in heaven. But it's bound to be Gordons again. For the 4th Xmas in a roe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Hogzy wrote: »
    Great gift!
    Cork Lass wrote: »
    That would be a lovely gift. I’ll pm you my address😂😂😂
    Itdepends wrote: »
    If my fella bought me bottle of that I'd be in heaven. But it's bound to be Gordons again. For the 4th Xmas in a roe

Just picked up a bottle in the Celtic Whiskey Shop there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Bassfish wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a bottle of decent but good value gin for the Xmas season to offer people. Super Valu have Tanquery gin for €20 at the moment. I was also looking at Boyle's gin in Aldi. Anyone know which would be better? Don't really want to spend more than €25 or so. Cheers.

Hendricks down to €30 in Tesco. Usually around €45. Its a lovely gin IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hendricks down to €30 in Tesco. Usually around €45. Its a lovely gin IMO.

When I was in the UK I noticed that Morrisons had 1.7l bottles of Hendricks for iirc it was £45. Bottle looked huge, looked bigger than 1.7l annoyed now I didn't buy one :mad:

• Advertisement

I was raging, that offer in the UK started 3 days after came home

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Anyone got any opinion on Plymouth gin? Regular stuff , not the slow. Picked up a bottle for e20 in Tesco yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Tesco had Brockmans Gin reduced by a fiver on Sunday. Its a lovely gin and hard to get. I havent seen it on sale anywhere but Tesco.

Presume the offer is still on. I will try and get the Hendricks today.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

rushfan wrote: »
    Anyone got any opinion on Plymouth gin? Regular stuff , not the slow. Picked up a bottle for e20 in Tesco yesterday.

Its a lovely gin, lots of juniper and citrus flavours but doesn't overpower. Probably my favourite 'ordinary' gin and works well in a gin and tonic. Its bit of a steal at that price so you can't go wrong. Enjoy.

I assume all Tescos?
    tretorn wrote: »
    Tesco had Brockmans Gin reduced by a fiver on Sunday. Its a lovely gin and hard to get. I havent seen it on sale anywhere but Tesco.

Presume the offer is still on. I will try and get the Hendricks today.
    Gorgeous stuff, i havent seen it anywhere else either. I could do with a fresh bottle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

morritty wrote:
    I assume all Tescos?

The Swords branch was where I got it.

The Swords branch was where I got it.
    Perfect, I'll be passing by tomorrow. Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Anyone try any interesting tonics over the Xmas/New Year? I had Schweppes in the house as usual, and then also had Poacher's Wild and Merchant's Heart Floral Aromatic. The MH was really lovely and crisp. Must keep an eye out for more, I got given that one. I love all the Poacher's tonics but the Wild is really nice. There's a bit of elderflower in it but I wouldn't call it elderflower flavoured as such.

I bought the Aldi version of elderflower tonic there recently, but haven't tried it yet. I think I got a few different ones, I'll let you know how I get on with them.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/gin-experience-dublin-2019-saturday-session-530-900pm-tickets-47114559917?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

Has anyone been to this before? Just wondering is it any use? Or is it the usual Irish sh1te of charging a fortune for a ticket then also charging full whack for a drink once you're in the door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

I bought the Aldi version of elderflower tonic there recently, but haven't tried it yet. I think I got a few different ones, I'll let you know how I get on with them.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/gin-experience-dublin-2019-saturday-session-530-900pm-tickets-47114559917?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

Has anyone been to this before? Just wondering is it any use? Or is it the usual Irish sh1te of charging a fortune for a ticket then also charging full whack for a drink once you're in the door?

We went last year and you didn't have to spend a penny once you got in. Got to try as many gins as you could fit and it was great chatting to all the vendors (until all the tastes went to my head). They had cocktail demonstrations and some food pairings too.

You could buy bottles from some of the stalls but we just kept a note of all the ones we liked to buy later. It was a fantastic day and I thought it was great value.

Advertisement