Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin Gin Gin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Top of a bottle of Absolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Just crap dumped on my kitchen island by my daughter as she’s getting ready for Electric Picnic Nothing more interesting than.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Bought myself a present 😀

My hubby loves Monkey 47 - me not so much.

I think part of my aversion is the 500ml bottle. I bloody hate small bottles of gin!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They overcame that problem by buying two :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

....... wrote: »
    My hubby loves Monkey 47 - me not so much.

I think part of my aversion is the 500ml bottle. I bloody hate small bottles of gin!

All the finest gins come in 50cl bottles:D

All the finest gins come in 50cl bottles:D

No, sorry, its just a marketing trick to get me to pay more for less.

The disappointment when it runs out so quick......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The disappointment when it runs out so quick......

Plenty do it, just finished a bottle of SipSmith gin its 70cl but the bottom of the trendy bottle is about an inch thick so you think you have more left than you really do.

Not a bad Gin btw, in fact a very nice Gin, but not quite enough Juniper for me.

My latest favorite is Tanqueray No 10. One of the few Gins that you can still really taste with a decent amount of tonic water.

This just isn't true.

Our reasoning for it (Blackwater) is that it gives the customer the option of trading up to a premium gin without a huge price jump. Yes, that is a marketing decision but most certainly not designed to trick anyone.
    Our price per cl is similar to, if not cheaper than, other Irish, premium gins.

This just isn't true.

Our reasoning for it (Blackwater) is that it gives the customer the option of trading up to a premium gin without a huge price jump. Yes, that is a marketing decision but most certainly not designed to trick anyone.
    Our price per cl is similar to, if not cheaper than, other Irish, premium gins.

Actually, Im not a big fan of Blackwater, Id drink a bottle if I were given it but I wouldnt buy it, there are nicer gins around at a better price (and a 70cl bottle). But even if I loved it - the small bottle puts me off.

I have found myself "tricked" a good few times with smaller bottles where I didnt realise I was buying a smaller bottle and when I noticed at home, I was annoyed and felt a bit ripped off. Sure - it was my own fault for not noticing at the time but still.

But my main reason for not liking a 50cl bottle is just the size. When i want a bottle of gin I want to buy a full sized bottle of gin. Not a mickey mouse sized one that means I have to travel back to the offy again sooner than Id planned.

There is only one 50cl bottle that I would be fond of and even at that I never buy it because I prefer a full sized bottle. Id only drink it if I saw it in a bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

50cl - no way I don't want to ration my drinking and tbh would by a bottle of Gordans over a premium 50cl bottle so the marketing doesn't work on me.

When I do treat myself I'm happy enough to buy an expensive bottle of Gin I often go for a Gin in a liter bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Jeez, so much furore over the size. We all know that size doesn’t matter :D. I buy it because I like it, no other reason. It’s expensive but I had vouchers so managed to get €30 off the price of two, that’s a good deal. I was given a present of a bottle of Botanist last week (1 litre, for those obsessed by size) but haven’t tried it yet. I did open it to have a sniff and liked the smell so that’s a good start. I might try that tonight :)

****MAJOR NEWS FLASH****

ALDI are doing a Boyles Sloe Gin (limited edition unfortunately).

Usually I drive to NI for my sloe gin. Tesco were doing Tesco Finest Sloe Gin in Ireland last year over the xmas period but they discontinued it around March so it dried up off the shelves in June and I was absolutely devastated. It was really yummy and cheap - 22 euro a bottle and often on 20 euro special. Its available year round in the UK.

Its far superior to Gordons Sloe Gin which is just too expensive to buy in the republic - 30 euro a bottle in O Briens, when they have it.

I have written to Tesco loads of times begging them to relist their sloe gin but to no avail so I just drive to NI now and buy it when I can.

If the Boyles Sloe Gin is nice Ill have to start a new correspondence campaign to keep it a year round item. 25 quid is reasonable if its a good bottle. I will report my findings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

****MAJOR NEWS FLASH****

ALDI are doing a Boyles Sloe Gin (limited edition unfortunately).

Usually I drive to NI for my sloe gin. Tesco were doing Tesco Finest Sloe Gin in Ireland last year over the xmas period but they discontinued it around March so it dried up off the shelves in June and I was absolutely devastated. It was really yummy and cheap - 22 euro a bottle and often on 20 euro special. Its available year round in the UK.

Its far superior to Gordons Sloe Gin which is just too expensive to buy in the republic - 30 euro a bottle in O Briens, when they have it.

I have written to Tesco loads of times begging them to relist their sloe gin but to no avail so I just drive to NI now and buy it when I can.

If the Boyles Sloe Gin is nice Ill have to start a new correspondence campaign to keep it a year round item. 25 quid is reasonable if its a good bottle. I will report my findings.....

Surely the Tesco sloe gin is a seasonal item as is the Boyle’s sloe gin (it was available last winter)

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Surely the Tesco sloe gin is a seasonal item as is the Boyle’s sloe gin (it was available last winter)

Well its not back in stores yet and from my written communications they have no record of it ever being sold in Ireland (?!?!? I only drank about 20 bottles of it single handedly in 6 months - probably better for my health when they removed it) - but its available year round in the UK.

Gordons sloe gin is also available year round.

I'm afraid the Boyle's sloe and damson gin is definitely a seasonal.
    You'll have to stock up!

Well its not back in stores yet and from my written communications they have no record of it ever being sold in Ireland (?!?!? I only drank about 20 bottles of it single handedly in 6 months - probably better for my health when they removed it) - but its available year round in the UK.

Gordons sloe gin is also available year round.

I’ve never heard (until now) of anyone drinking sloe gin outside of autumn/winter it just isn’t the norm.

You'll have to stock up!

The only thing I’m not so keen on with added damsons is that I makes it slightly sicklier and more cough syrupy, I prefer the stronger flavour of a pure sloe gin, although the aldi one is very nice as an alternative I just with they did a pure sloe one.

The only thing I’m not so keen on with added damsons is that I makes it slightly sicklier and more cough syrupy, I prefer the stronger flavour of a pure sloe gin, although the aldi one is very nice as an alternative I just with they did a pure sloe one.

This year's is a new recipe. Not so cough syrupy and slightly less sweet.

This year's is a new recipe. Not so cough syrupy and slightly less sweet.

Good to hear, I’ll give it another go, I don’t shop in aldi apart from the gin so will pop in soon and see if it’s available yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I’ve never heard (until now) of anyone drinking sloe gin outside of autumn/winter it just isn’t the norm.

I drink it outside of of autumn/winter. I often make my own and leave it for six months or so. That leaves me drinking it a good bit earlier than autumn!

Effects wrote: »
    I drink it outside of of autumn/winter. I often make my own and leave it for six months or so. That leaves me drinking it a good bit earlier than autumn!

I only consider it a cold weather walking/hunting/shooting drink to fortify against the chill!

I only consider it a cold weather walking/hunting/shooting drink to fortify against the chill!

I love it all year round.

See I like my alcoholic drinks sweetened anyway, I drink regular gin with tonic and a dash of blackcurrant.

So sloe gin really suits my taste buds. But I did genuinely worry about myself when I was drinking the Tesco sloe gin because it was so nice that I would find myself opening a bottle and thinking Id have a drink or two and then finding the next morning that Id polished off most of the bottle - eek! I actually just loved the flavour of it.

I would comfort myself with the notion that it was "only" 23% so it wasnt TOO bad (it was though!).

You'll have to stock up!

Ah nuts. Well at least Ive come across it early this year - hopefully at least 8 weeks of availability ahead!

Mind you - I still havent tasted it yet so watch this space.

I tried the Boyles Sloe Gin over the weekend.

I liked it. Its not as nice as Tescos Sloe Gin, but its definitely good quality. A wee bit syrupy flavour - presume its the Damsons.

For 25 quid a bottle Id probably still prefer to drive to NI for either Tesco Sloe Gin or Gordons Sloe Gin - 25 quid is still kinda pricey considering its only a gin liqueur.

I will have it again but I dont think Ill be stocking up with a case of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Tonic waters have become big business since the resurgance of gin in the last 6-7 years.

Fevertree has become an overnight success, the London Essence Co is looking to get some of fevertree's good fortune.

Does tonic, unflavoured tonic, make that much difference to your g and t.

imme wrote: »
    Tonic waters have become big business since the resurgance of gin in the last 6-7 years.

Fevertree has become an overnight success, the London Essence Co is looking to get some of fevertree's good fortune.

Does tonic, unflavoured tonic, make that much difference to your g and t.

All tonic is flavoured.
    Yes, the tonic in a G&T makes a big difference. All pretty subjective, though, and not all tonics go with all gins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

All tonic is flavoured.
    Yes, the tonic in a G&T makes a big difference. All pretty subjective, though, and not all tonics go with all gins.

Other than quinine I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Looking forward to a few Gin & Tonics over the festive period and have a bottle of Tanqueray & Plymouth Gin and a bottle of Angostura Bitters.

Mostly tried the usual Schwepps tonic and a few of the Fever Tree varieties as they are readily available. Are there any others that would work well with these gins?

And what about garnishes? Not mad about cucumber or black pepper that seems to be the done thing. Are lemon and lime still the way to go. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

I cant stand Indian Tonic, Mediterranean I'm ok with, But Ginger ale is the ultimate mixer for me

Advertisement