Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin Gin Gin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Marcusm wrote: »
    Forget the tonic altogether and just have a pink gin.

While I quite like a pink gin, if the gin is really good, it just tastes better without the bitters.

Gin, ice and a slice of citrus ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

....... wrote: »

Most antibiotics are OK to take with alcohol :p

But do read the leaflet that comes with them just in case he's on one of the rare antibiotics that say to avoid alcohol.

Pleases don't give out medical advice

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Hendricks 70cl is €30 from tomorrow 21st til 24th Dec (3days only) in TESCO for all you gin drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I got a bottle of Tanqueray 10 (€40 in Dunnes) with the intention of making G&Ts, but now I see it's more aimed at cocktails/martinis? Oh well, it'll not go to waste... any recommendations on a vermouth? :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I got a bottle of Tanqueray 10 (€40 in Dunnes) with the intention of making G&Ts, but now I see it's more aimed at cocktails/martinis? Oh well, it'll not go to waste... any recommendations on a vermouth? :)

Tanqueray has a good strong flavour and its one of my favourites for a G&T.

Do you mean ordinary Tanqueray or the Ten though?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Bargain.!
    It's a lovely gin. Do whatever you do with gin with it and enjoy it.
    Please do try sipping it straight, though.
    Good gin is lovely sipped straight.
    And often better with ice, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Tanqueray 10 is €35 in Tesco.

zac8 wrote: »
    Tanqueray 10 is €35 in Tesco.

Wow. That used to be around €50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

Picked up 2 x €30 Hendricks in Tesco Rathfarnham this evening.

Dubal

dubal wrote: »
    Picked up 2 x €30 Hendricks in Tesco Rathfarnham this evening.

Dubal

Nice. Paid a fortune for Dingle Gin but hey, DINGLE's in the house now! :P

Bargain.!
    It's a lovely gin. Do whatever you do with gin with it and enjoy it.
    Please do try sipping it straight, though.
    Good gin is lovely sipped straight.
    And often better with ice, imo.

Mm yeah trying it now with just ice, will put tonic in after

You can tell it's 47% :) taking very small sips!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I saw the Boyles sloe and damson gin liqueur in aldi yesterday. What would you do with that?

nialldinho wrote: »
    I saw the Boyles sloe and damson gin liqueur in aldi yesterday. What would you do with that?
    Remember it's a gin liqueur, so not gin as such.

I think it's best just drunk straight (it's only 25%).
    It's pretty sweet so be careful mixing it with sweet mixers. Soda/sparkling water could be nice but not too much.
    Nice as a hot drink too. Hot water lemon and orange slices and maybe a touch of sugar. Could add clove cinnamon or other mulled wine spices too.

You could try drinking it more sloe-ly.

I'll get me coat

The OH has expressed surprise that half of the Tanqueray Ten bottle sitting in the wine rack in the kitchen has gone (without her help I hasten to add.) She appears to think that a bottle of spirits is like the Hennessy we buy her mother for a present, there should be a good bit left after a year :rolleyes: to think that when we moved into this house there was a drinks cabinet built into an alcove, mirrored on the inside and all, and I got rid of it. /sigh

The trick is to have several bottles open at the same time. They empty much slower that way!

The trick is to have several bottles open at the same time. They empty much slower that way!

The trick is to leave one bottle out on display that goes down really slowly and at least one other that goes down at the normal rate that is not kept on display ;)

• Advertisement

So I went to an ALDI at lunchtime and no sign of any sloe damson gin at all.

Was it just a christmas special?

Yes it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

So I went to an ALDI at lunchtime and no sign of any sloe damson gin at all.

Was it just a christmas special?

My MIL used to make sloe gin and it never made it past Christmas either! :rolleyes:

My MIL used to make sloe gin and it never made it past Christmas either! :rolleyes:

Well after the end of October she wouldn't have been able to get the sloes to make it :p

OK sorry, made it / made it past my mistake :) must drink less gin of an evening.

But it is a traditional seasonal drink. You harvest the fruit at the end of the summer steep the fruit in gin and then drink it at Christmas.

my3cents wrote: »
    But it is a traditional seasonal drink. You harvest the fruit at the end of the summer steep the fruit in gin and then drink it at Christmas.

If you are going to be really traditional, you should steep the fruit (picked after the first frost) for three months and drink it the following Christmas - ideally aged buried under the ground!

Plus if you drink enough you'll forget where you buried it.

• Advertisement

Anyone go to the Gin Experience in Dublin Castle over the weekend?

Advertisement